ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz & job security

1830sherman

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Mark Gonzales, who used to be the Cubs beat writer (and earlier, the White Sox) for the Trib, is now at the Daily Herald. He wrote a piece recently about how secure Fitz's position is.

Not much meat to the story, frankly. Fitz again brings up the "we gotta get stronger" refrain. I guess the question then is, wasn't that stressed going INTO the season?

link

Reactions: Bweiny and Alvious
Mark Gonzales, who used to be the Cubs beat writer (and earlier, the White Sox) for the Trib, is now at the Daily Herald. He wrote a piece recently about how secure Fitz's position is.

Not much meat to the story, frankly. Fitz again brings up the "we gotta get stronger" refrain. I guess the question then is, wasn't that stressed going INTO the season?

link

Pretty sure that’s just rehashed quotes from the Illinois postgame press conference.

You are correct. He (MG) called in to the conference and gathered the quotes. When I heard the exchange, I thought, Oh good, here comes an analysis of Fitz's staying power at NU.

But on reading the actual story...uh no not so much.

Two contradictory sets of facts here. On one hand, Fitz should be fired because he's on a downhill trajectory, on the other is the possibility of being considered for the TSISB job. Truth is somewhere in the middle. I would be very surprised if Fitz is fired in the next two to three years and equally as surprised if he is hired by ND. If NU had had even a winning record two of the past four years, I'd say the job at ND was his (but if that were the case, I'd say he'd be nuts to take it).

Two contradictory sets of facts here. On one hand, Fitz should be fired because he's on a downhill trajectory, on the other is the possibility of being considered for the TSISB job. Truth is somewhere in the middle. I would be very surprised if Fitz is fired in the next two to three years and equally as surprised if he is hired by ND. If NU had had even a winning record two of the past four years, I'd say the job at ND was his (but if that were the case, I'd say he'd be nuts to take it).
we DID have a winning record in 2 of the past 4 years. In fact 5 of the past 7 years. It's just that 2 of the past 3 have looked like something the neighbor's dog left on my lawn.

we DID have a winning record in 2 of the past 4 years. In fact 5 of the past 7 years. It's just that 2 of the past 3 have looked like something the neighbor's dog left on my lawn.
I know, I meant the other two. And more like after you'd stepped in it.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT