ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz must go

Status
Not open for further replies.
The question for me is how much of the NU offense performance is based on Fitz's preference for a ball control offense.

If Fitz is willing to change the offensive strategies, I think Bajakian can be given a year or two to try to implement it.

If we're just sticking to the same game, then yeah I don't see how Bajakian can make this work absent finding another Peyton Ramsey.
I don’t get the sense that Bajakian is a high-flying pass-happy coordinator hemmed in by Fitz’s inherently conservative approach.

His last year at BC was lots of 12 personnel.

• Sad
Reactions: drewjin
Thanks for the statistical analysis. Look at my avatar, NU dedicated basement, season ticket holder, alum, and having talked a kind into walking on. I diverted my honeymoon trip specifically to get to fan appreciation day. Attended the 1st practice in the new facility in 2018. Froze my ass off at a pin stripe bowl. Got rained on at a Holiday Bowl. 2x B1G Championship games (yes I was there in 2020 also) Bitter? Grudge?

No. Just refuse to accept shitty football like the rest of you.
There's a fine line between being critical of some aspects of the way the program is run, and simply trashing everything. Just think about it.

Back to the topic at hand.

What have we got to lose? Go 0-12 instead of 1-11.

Next year look any better?

I have met Pat Ryan twice. I even attended a road game in the press box with his family once. I am quite certain he does not remember me.
I’m sure he remembers the one fan with a split NU-Iowa jersey in the press box…

There's a fine line between being critical of some aspects of the way the program is run, and simply trashing everything. Just think about it.
Yes Sir. Giving credit to deserving people just once in a while would be nice to read. Otherwise, you do come off as bitter and having a grudge.

Yes Sir. Giving credit to deserving people just once in a while would be nice to read. Otherwise, you do come off as bitter and having a grudge.
Giving credit would require a win. I gave heaps of credit after Dublin.

Edit, even after a couple of the closer losses, I'd give credit for things like (most of) the OSU game plan, Hilinski early performance etc.

No That’s @lunker35 .

Bob is the bitter swimmer.

And @Gladeskat is so bitter he devoted his post-NU career to dissecting insects in a swamp.
No, @lunker35 is not bitter, he's just a bit cynical :D and he's from New Trier so can't be too bad.

@Ryanfield124 is an ex-baseball player, but I don't think at NU. Look up "bitter" in the dictionary and he is there.

Giving credit would require a win. I gave heaps of credit after Dublin.

Edit, even after a couple of the closer losses, I'd give credit for things like (most of) the OSU game plan, Hilinski early performance etc.

Phat, this was addressed to RyanField124, not you. He's all negative, all the time.

Reactions: phatcat
I don’t think I have a weird grudge at all. I’m pissed at the current situation of football and usually basketball too. Thrilled with field hockey, soccer, softball….
Me neither. But corbi gets to make up grudges for me so I figure I’d give it a whirl.

I’m pumped about wrestling, and trying not to get my hopes to high for MBB.

Fitz ain’t getting fired.

Reactions: lunker35
Me neither. But corbi gets to make up grudges for me so I figure I’d give it a whirl.

I’m pumped about wrestling, and trying not to get my hopes to high for MBB.

Fitz ain’t getting fired.
He's not getting fired, but he should. He's like an engineer that can't keep up with technology. Learn or leave

He's not getting fired, but he should. He's like an engineer that can't keep up with technology. Learn or leave
He’s had two really bad seasons… arguably Dark Ages bad unless we win one of these last two games (or both).

Some changes are certainly coming this offseason. We all hope they will be significant enough to make an impact next season and we’ll find out in two weeks.

Until then, stay positive and cheer for a victory. Change is coming whether we finish 1-11, 2-10, or 3-9. Right @CoralSpringsCat ?

So I’ll choose optimism like my man @Hungry Jack and give out a hearty Go Cats! Our seniors certainly will be fighting the rest of the way.

Reactions: mountaindrew
He’s had two really bad seasons… arguably Dark Ages bad unless we win one of these last two games (or both).

Some changes are certainly coming this offseason. We all hope they will be significant enough to make an impact next season and we’ll find out in two weeks.

Until then, stay positive and cheer for a victory. Change is coming whether we finish 1-11, 2-10, or 3-9. Right @CoralSpringsCat ?

So I’ll choose optimism like my man @Hungry Jack and give out a hearty Go Cats! Our seniors certainly will be fighting the rest of the way.
Fitz needs a dynamic offense, a Hankwitz type D, and assistants that can actually coach/develop players, with the emphasis on development. We are really a 3 star team, with maybe a few four stars sprinkled in. Overcome physical talent with technique.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
It wasn't the salary restructure that helped Michigan, it was firing a bunch of coaches and replacing them with better coaches.
Exactly, Michigan's done a great job of revamping their staff the past few years and even this year managed to replace both OC/DC with good hires (after losing both last year).

This is entirely about staff. Michigan's recruiting hasn't changed (arguably they've done a bit worse on recruiting the past couple of years as Harbaugh struggled before 2021 a bit).

It wasn't the salary restructure that helped Michigan, it was firing a bunch of coaches and replacing them with better coaches.
Fitz should fire both coordinators AND take a salary cut to show that the buck stops with him.

I doubt he’ll do that, though. He’s showing himself to be more selfish than any of us had previously thought.

Fitz should fire both coordinators AND take a salary cut to show that the buck stops with him.

I doubt he’ll do that, though. He’s showing himself to be more selfish than any of us had previously thought.
The term selfish is correct.

I'm an Illini fan so I have no skin in the game as far as Pat Fitzgerald and NW goes but maybe some Wildcats fans need some perspective. How many winning seasons has Fitz had? How many bowl games has he taken the Wildcats to? Sure, it's easy to be upset about the last two seasons but IMO he has earned the chance to turn this around. You know how many bad seasons and bad/mediocre coaches Illini fans have had to endure over the last 50 years? Jim Valek, Bob Blackman, Gary Moeller, Lou Tepper, Ron Turner, Ron Zook, Tim Beckman, Bill Cubit, Lovie Smith.

It isn't like the Illini ADs weren't trying - hiring really good head coaches is hard. Notre Dame went through Faust, Davies, Willingham, Weis. Nebraska is still trying to get it right, same with Auburn. Go back and look at Wisconsin's football records before they finally hired Barry Alvarez. USC, Alabama, Texas, and many others have all made failing HC hires. NW has been blessed by 3 really good hires in a row in Barnett, Walker, and Fitzpatrick - the odds are they won't have the same success with the next hire. Fitz shouldn't have a lifetime contract but his track record should give him the opportunity to get this turned around. Two more years is sufficient.

And I end with this: if hiring really good head coaches isn't hard, then explain your miserable men's basketball program.

His track record says one thing - he was lucky to have Mike Hankwitz. Period.

Without Hankwitz, Fitz is nothing.

And I’m on to your scthick. When Beckman was your coach, we had a ton of NU fans going to your boards telling y’all how great he was. Thanks for the advice, but no thanks, if you know what I mean.

The question for me is how much of the NU offense performance is based on Fitz's preference for a ball control style offense. Fitz wants an offense that plays it safe, limits turnovers, and maximizes each possession. That is not where college football is these days (only Michigan is pulling that off right now).

If Fitz is willing to change the offensive strategies, I think Bajakian can be given a year or two to try to implement it.

If we're just sticking to the same game, then yeah I don't see how Bajakian can make this work absent finding another Peyton Ramsey.

what in the world are you talking about? There is no reason whatsoever to give Bajakian another second. It really should not have been possible, but he has actually made our McCall offense even worse. Instead of 120th in the country in McCall’s last year, this season we were 131st in the nation on American soil. That’s DEAD LAST in the country.

He might be some offensive genius, but with this record, you just have to cut bait and try again. There’s too much baggage. Need a fresh start just to psychologically have any chance.

what in the world are you talking about? There is no reason whatsoever to give Bajakian another second. It really should not have been possible, but he has actually made our McCall offense even worse. Instead of 120th in the country in McCall’s last year, this season we were 131st in the nation on American soil. That’s DEAD LAST in the country.

He might be some offensive genius, but with this record, you just have to cut bait and try again. There’s too much baggage. Need a fresh start just to psychologically have any chance.
Not to mention, even if he were hamstrung by Fitz he failed at all three of the things that the poster listed.

• Sad

Harbaugh looks like a brilliant manager here, tough enough to replace coaches he hired. The results speak for themselves.

At last, looks like UM knew what they were doing in hiring Harbaugh AND hanging with him. The question on everyone's mind now is how many seconds will elapse post season until UM offers to restructure the salary upwards? And lengthen the term? With two yachts?

NU and Fitzgerald are in a similar position. NU is already committed to Fitzgerald, too... NU will have to assist Fitzgerald in finding elite new coordinators.

I will say my views have changed a lot in the past 10 days or so (really the last 4-6 games).

Before this season I would have said: "get rid of JON and give Bajakian 2 seasons to fix the offense."

But given the abysmal performance of the offense down the stretch (and the poor development out of the QB position), I think Bajakian is doing as poorly at his job as JON now.

Hard to argue now that Bajakian should get another chance.

We need to clean house and change things up dramatically or we're not getting out of this Dark Ages hole the program is in...

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT