ADVERTISEMENT

Fitz trying to hit Ctrl+Alt+Delete on NU's season

What surprises me more and more each week is his attitude toward the media. Coach sarcastically asks "What other earth-shattering questions do you guys have?"

He just seems to be a bit more of a jerk to them each week.

I’m hearing and reading that a lot, and nothing could be further from the truth. I like to say feisty Fitz is the best Fitz, and it’s true. When he’s being a smart ass, he’s in a playful mood and more likely to open up. Like today. In general, the media has a good give-and-take with Fitz. The majority of the time he’s sarcastic, there’s nothing mean-spirited about it. It’s just him having fun, for the most part. He likes to make fun of us, but that’s just his sense of humor.

The other thing about Fitz, is that he’s better with the media after a loss, which seems bass ackwards, I know. An NU staffer made that observation a while back and I think it’s true. Friday night, he was open, honest, gracious. I remember being struck with the same feeling last year after the Akron game. Last year, when NU was in the midst of winning seven of eight games and they were in contention for the West title, Fitz got tighter and tighter. He was on edge, more guarded. Right now, he’s pretty good with us. It’s ironic.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot for the reply Lou, and some more insight on this.

From the outside, it really feels like we have a coach who gets brattier when things go wrong. It devolves to the point of "Well what plays would you want me to call?" discourse.

To me, Fitz seemed frazzled and grasping at ideas in this conference, especially with his odd stream of consciousness rant about CTRL+ALT+DEL.

I agree with him on turning the page to the second half of the season, and I am optimistic we can perform. But this weekly performance of "executed on most levels, great practice squad, left a few plays out there, need to finish" can get old when he doesn't address the coaching decisions behind all of that "failure/falling short" It doesn't cut it. In fact, it feels like he consistently excuses coaches. This may not be what is happening outside of the press conference, but I'd love to hear some more accountability claimed by the coaching staff.

Reactions: IGNORE
Interesting discussion by Fitz on experience vs. confidence. One thing I notice in these teams is that our defensive guys seem to play with confidence and even swagger as soon as they step on the field as young players. On the other side, however, our offensive guys seem to take time to develop any kind of swagger and often many of them don't ever get there. JJ had some swagger. AC definitely had it by his senior year. Nagel showed some last year, but it took him until his senior year. Why don't we have some young WR come out with swagger from the get-go? WRs are usually the cockiest guys on the field, but it seems to take our guys a few years before they play with exuberant confidence.

Part of me wonders if this is because Fitz allows his D to let it rip, whereas the offense is all about being conservative, not making mistakes, take no chances..... These guys play scared it seems. Maybe if Fitz let go of the reins and allowed the offense to let it rip, they'd develop some attitude that would then feed into better performance. Just a theory.....

Fitz looks lost here. He can't pronounce the last name of his freshman DE, he doesn't know that his senior captain CB played in the last game, and he just repeatedly says "I don't know," both seriously and as a joke. He's more worried about a special teams penalty than he is about completing only six passes.

The answer is right there: he and his staff aren't doing a good job coaching the offense, particularly in the passing game. He implies that the problem is with the QBs; they're just too stupid to pick up this brilliant offensive scheme in the time they've been there.

If it takes so long for a QB to figure out this scheme, then how is he ever going to have a backup QB that's ready? He can't even find a starter right now.

To be sure, I don't really care about how Fitz acts in these things. He's earned his job security and his place in the program. I just want him to hurry up and figure this out and put these kids in a position to win.

Reactions: IGNORE and drewjin
One kid (offense) goes to jail Other kid (defense) is a physician but gets blamed because he doesn't make enough to bail the other one out of jail.

The turnover thing is interesting but misleading. Generating 8 turnovers in 6 games is not terrible, and while less than the 1.85 per game of last year, is not as big a drop off as, say, the increase in turnovers by the offense.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT