ADVERTISEMENT

Fleck to Minny

I gave this some thought...Think Row the Boat stays in WMU unless both teams sing ROW, ROW YOUR BOAT in rows with Pajamas Boy leading them.
So maybe more appropriate PULL THE PLOW,, SWAT THE MOSQUITOES or maybe most appropriate to the current situation at Minny and to what I think his results will be is EATING THE LUTEFISK

And the YouTube Emmy goes to.... LOGAN.

I actually somewhat enjoy Lutefisk if it has a good white sauce with it. It also helps if you wash it down with glögg, a high octane mulled wine. Although, to my Nordic taste buds, pickled herring is even better, with aquavit as a chaser.

OVERRATED.
What, my post or Fleck?

The problem with most coaches at Minnesota since Warmath is that at some level they have been idiots or flakes (not flecks)--Salem, Holtz, Gutekinst, Mason, Brewster, Claeys--Fleck does not appear to be a flake. He will win--maybe not like Warmath, but he will be better than .500.

What, my post or Fleck?

The problem with most coaches at Minnesota since Warmath is that at some level they have been idiots or flakes (not flecks)--Salem, Holtz, Gutekinst, Mason, Brewster, Claeys--Fleck does not appear to be a flake. He will win--maybe not like Warmath, but he will be better than .500.

Who knew it was so easy? Just don't be an idiot or a flake and you will be better than .500! It's so odd that Minnesota chose idiots or flakes so often when it's so simple. :>)

Who knew it was so easy? Just don't be an idiot or a flake and you will be better than .500! It's so odd that Minnesota chose idiots or flakes so often when it's so simple. :>)
Warmath had a winning percentage somewhat over .500 for his tenure at MN, so it is not so easy. as did Mason. Mason's would have been higher had he not been a flake (just when everyone thought MN was going to win the game, Mason would make some hair-brain move). Actually they should probably kept Mason, except I think they were tired of the flakiness. Some of the coaches before Mason were real doosies. But, the had visions of grandeur. So much for that idea.

Warmath had a winning percentage somewhat over .500 for his tenure at MN, so it is not so easy. as did Mason. Mason's would have been higher had he not been a flake (just when everyone thought MN was going to win the game, Mason would make some hair-brain move). Actually they should probably kept Mason, except I think they were tired of the flakiness. Some of the coaches before Mason were real doosies. But, the had visions of grandeur. So much for that idea.
If the season stopped at the halfway point, Mason would have been king of the coaches. He had an amazing string of great starts and terrible endings to seasons. Of course, his OOC was usually very light.

OVERRATED.

We'll see. I think he'll be a good one. You don't go from 1 win to 13 in 3 years at a school that has never won more than 9 without being decent. It's not like lightning was caught in a bottle.

If Fleck is not a good coach, what does that make Fitz who lost to him with better talent at home?

We'll see. I think he'll be a good one. You don't go from 1 win to 13 in 3 years at a school that has never won more than 9 without being decent. It's not like lightning was caught in a bottle.

If Fleck is not a good coach, what does that make Fitz who lost to him with better talent at home?

Becky beat Fitz, was he a good coach? Is Fitz a better coach than the opponents coach in every NU has won in his tenure?

Becky beat Fitz, was he a good coach? Is Fitz a better coach than the opponents coach in every NU has won in his tenure?
Yes?... No?... Maybe?...

Fitzphile said it was a rhetorical question...

But then you answered it...

With another question!!!

Is this a rhetorical answer to a rhetorical question?

Or a new rhetorical question?

Or just a question?

I am so confused.:oops:

There is no need for PJ and his feckless crusaders to tempt the fates of Gitchee Gumee. Kalamazoo is fortuitously located near the headwaters of the Kankakee River. In the days of fur trading, it served as a useful conduit between the Great Lakes and the Mississippi drainage, often via St. Joseph River, which passes thru present day South Bend.

So PJ and his Gophernauts could make a quick portage to the swampy headwarters of the Kankakee, float south and then west to the Illinois River, pursue its course, stopping for some entertainment at Big Al's in Peoria, and then meet the turbid waters of the mighty Mississippi (actually it's not so turbid above its confluence with the Missouri River, which carries the sands of the northern Rockies in its wake).

Up the Great River PJ and his rowers can venture, past the Quad Cities and the Galena bluffs, all the way to Minneapolis!

You lost, Kemosabe? PJ and the boys would have to make a damn long portage to get to the Kankakee R. The Kankakee River is nowhere near Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo River and St. Joseph River are, though. Both flow into Lake Michigan.

For those of you interested in our heartland waterways, which greatly shaped our nations early history, and gave rise to Mr. Fleck's metaphor, look up Chad Pegracke and his organization Living Waters.

While merely a strapping youth, he started an effort to rid the Mississippi River of civilation's detritus. He started off hauling tires out of the muck in his favorite mussel beds as an 18 year old. Now he's near 40, and commands a fleet of barges equipped with cranes and winches, living quarters, and a karaoke machine. He enlists college youth in summer long "cruises" undoing what should never be done: fouling our great waters with refuse.

God bless people like Chad Pegracke. These are the types that truly make America great.

I hope he isn't yanking fallen trees and snags out. For so many years, youth groups were yanking fallen trees out of rivers thinking they were improving the system. They weren't.

Chad and his crew should come down to south Dade County and try yanking bottles out of borrow pit ponds. I estimated there were over 100,000 bottles in one 10 acre pond. South Florida is hopelessly trashed.

You lost, Kemosabe? PJ and the boys would have to make a damn long portage to get to the Kankakee R. The Kankakee River is nowhere near Kalamazoo. The Kalamazoo River and St. Joseph River are, though. Both flow into Lake Michigan.

Hey Cochise, they would float the St Joe south and west to South Bend, and the portage to the Kankakee.

Per Wikipedia:

The headwaters of the Kankakee River is southwest of downtown South Bend, Indiana, within the city limits. The outflow of the New Energy Corp. Ethanol Plant forms a cooling pond. The cooling pond flows into a ditch, which is the start of the Kankakee River. An old Indian portage, about 2 miles (3.2 km) long, stretched from this area towards the northeast to what are today Highland and Riverview cemeteries, along what were once the banks of the St. Joseph River, but now forms a bank of Pinhook Park Lagoon. The St. Joseph River drains into Lake Michigan. The famous Council Oak Tree stood along this portage about 300 yards from the St. Joseph River. Farms fields cover what was once a marshland.

Up through the early 19th century, the river furnished an important water transportation route through the Illinois Country for both Native Americans and early European settlers, notably the Frenchfur trappers. The headwaters of the river near present-day South Bend allowed a portage to the St. Joseph River, which drains into Lake Michigan, as well as furnishing a subsequent portage to the Lake Erie watershed. The Kankakee, thus, was part of an inland canoe route connecting the Great Lakes to the Illinois River and subsequently to the Mississippi River.

Go stare at some bug's ass

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladeskat
Per Wikipedia:

The headwaters of the Kankakee River is southwest of downtown South Bend, Indiana, within the city limits. The outflow of the New Energy Corp. Ethanol Plant forms a cooling pond. The cooling pond flows into a ditch, which is the start of the Kankakee River. An old Indian portage, about 2 miles (3.2 km) long, stretched from this area towards the northeast to what are today Highland and Riverview cemeteries, along what were once the banks of the St. Joseph River, but now forms a bank of Pinhook Park Lagoon. The St. Joseph River drains into Lake Michigan. The famous Council Oak Tree stood along this portage about 300 yards from the St. Joseph River. Farms fields cover what was once a marshland.

Up through the early 19th century, the river furnished an important water transportation route through the Illinois Country for both Native Americans and early European settlers, notably the Frenchfur trappers. The headwaters of the river near present-day South Bend allowed a portage to the St. Joseph River, which drains into Lake Michigan, as well as furnishing a subsequent portage to the Lake Erie watershed. The Kankakee, thus, was part of an inland canoe route connecting the Great Lakes to the Illinois River and subsequently to the Mississippi River.

Kalamazoo, MI is still a good distance (about 50 miles) from South Bend and the Kankakee headwaters. Maybe it's just me, but 50 miles back in the 17th century is not "near". They could take the St. Joseph R. from near Portage, MI (not IND) down the South Bend, though.

Last edited:
Hey Cochise, they would float the St Joe south and west to South Bend, and the portage to the Kankakee.

Per Wikipedia:

Go stare at some bug's ass

Speaking of Cochise and staring at bugs' asses, I'm naming a bug from the Chiricahua Mtns. after Cochise. I've stared at its ass and genitals quite a bit. Really cool bug!

Last edited:
Reactions: Hungry Jack
Fleck is a good coach/recruiter but nothing to lose sleep over. If NU takes care of business, I have no doubt we'll handle the Minnesota's of the world.

As a Gopher fan, I can't help chuckling at those Cats' fans who see your program as superior to Minnesota.

Honestly, the Skunks are the only west team that can claim superiority over the rest of the division. After that, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, and Nebraska have all been very similar over the past 4-5 years.

Purdue and Illinois have been the caboose.

Minnesota has beaten northwestern 3 of the past 4 years--including this year in a game that wasn't close.

Minnesota went 9-4
Northwestern went 7-6

Minnesota has a ton of advantages (hence the historic success), but until a decade ago we didn't have an administrarion committed to winning.

That changed, and first they got The Bank built and now they are in the midst of building an $190 million athletes' village.

I respect Fitz and the northwestern program. The Gophers and Cats have played a lot of great games In my lifetime. Your new facilities are solid.

But the idea that Northwestern is or should be superior to Minnesota is ludicrous.

As a Gopher fan, I can't help chuckling at those Cats' fans who see your program as superior to Minnesota.

Honestly, the Skunks are the only west team that can claim superiority over the rest of the division. After that, Minnesota, Iowa, Northwestern, and Nebraska have all been very similar over the past 4-5 years.

Minnesota has beaten northwestern 3 of the past 4 years--including this year in a game that wasn't close.

Minnesota went 9-4
Northwestern went 7-6

Minnesota has a ton of advantages (hence the historic success), but until a decade ago we didn't have an administrarion committed to winning.

That changed, and first they got The Bank built and now they are in the midst of building an $190 million athletes' village.

I respect Fitz and the northwestern program. The Gophers and Cats have played a lot of great games In my lifetime. Your new facilities are solid.

But the idea that Northwestern is or should be superior to Minnesota is ludicrous.

Perhaps debatable but not ludicrous.

Kalamazoo, MI is still a good distance (about 50 miles) from South Bend and the Kankakee headwaters. Maybe it's just me, but 50 miles back in the 17th century is not "near". They could take the St. Joseph R. from near Portage, MI (not IND) down the South Bend, though.
I guess in this day and age, where technology and modernity has pussified the human race, 50 miles of walking is unthinkable. Keep in mind that the Corps of Discovery, on its odyssey to the Pacific Ocean and back from near present-day St. Louis, often covered 40+ miles in one day (note that they deployed small groups on foot to scout and hunt while the provisions were kept in the mackinac style boats they used for the water portion of the journey). I myself have done many 50 mile trips, sometimes covering up to 20 miles in one day. All you need is time, good footwear and some Red Man chew.

Reactions: Gladeskat

Minnesota went 9-4
Northwestern went 7-6

By "historical success" do you mean "the 1930s and 1940s?"

Minnesota went 9-4
Northwestern went 7-6

I am glad we gave you a chuckle. Minny has pretty much had their own dark ages like NU. Kill was a good coach but he was still a 500 coach. Kill worked his way up and was was viewed from the outside as a honorable hard working guy. Mason got you turned around, but he fattened up on a very weak OCC and blew plenty of opportunities to really get you on the right track. Brewster made me chuckle. You coveniently brought up the 1-3 record the last fours years and omitted NU's 5-1 record the previous 6 years.

Personally, I like the twin cities, the stadium is great, and the vast majority of fans are great. I am glad you dumped Claeys because his lack of understanding on how to act and react to a difficult outside of the lines situation was an extremely poor look for your school. I am glad your AD and most of your fan base understood this. It is the ONLY thing IMO that Minny Admistration got right in terrible situation.

So if your definition of superior program relates exclusively to wins and losses, I guess you can make a case that we are similar. I still think we are a notch above in the last 25 years. However, as a NU fan, I will claim superiority in other aspects of our football program. First and foremost is the graduation rate, and character of our players and coaches. We have problems like any other school, but there is no way in hell we would have a gang bang and then have our players and HC do a knee yerk boycott. Come back 2 days later, not a good look. Wasn't there an internal report on a pattern of sexual assault/harassment in 2015, a full year before the gang bang? How about that Phillip Nelson character? Not exactly a pillar of society. Did you not have a previous sexual assault case with some football players about 10 years ago. If I get into other Minny sports the look isn't much better. Wrestlers selling drugs, a former AD with sexual harassment charges. How about Reggie Lynch on your B Ball team getting arrested on a sexual assault allegation this year. Yes, guess I will claim superiority in character of the program.

This thread is about Fleck anyway. Most here seem to think he'll do well at Minny. I am not as sure. To me, he is an egomaniac that talks a lot about his culture, but will do whatever it takes to win even if it entails taking on shady characters that happen to be good in football. We'll probably see you back here if Minny wins next year's game, but if that happens and your school still hasn't cleaned up this ugly culture, I would rather be prouder of our program in defeat. Hope Fleck is all he thinks he is.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
I am glad we gave you a chuckle. Minny has pretty much had their own dark ages like NU. Kill was a good coach but he was still a 500 coach. Kill worked his way up and was was viewed from the outside as a honorable hard working guy. Mason got you turned around, but he fattened up on a very weak OCC and blew plenty of opportunities to really get you on the right track. Brewster made me chuckle. You coveniently brought up the 1-3 record the last fours years and omitted NU's 5-1 record the previous 6 years.

Personally, I like the twin cities, the stadium is great, and the vast majority of fans are great. I am glad you dumped Claeys because his lack of understanding on how to act and react to a difficult outside of the lines situation was an extremely poor look for your school. I am glad your AD and most of your fan base understood this. It is the ONLY thing IMO that Minny Admistration got right in terrible situation.

So if your definition of superior program relates exclusively to wins and losses, I guess you can make a case that we are similar. I still think we are a notch above in the last 25 years. However, as a NU fan, I will claim superiority in other aspects of our football program. First and foremost is the graduation rate, and character of our players and coaches. We have problems like any other school, but there is no way in hell we would have a gang bang and then have our players and HC do a knee yerk boycott. Come back 2 days later, not a good look. Wasn't there an internal report on a pattern of sexual assault/harassment in 2015, a full year before the gang bang? How about that Phillip Nelson character? Not exactly a pillar of society. Did you not have a previous sexual assault case with some football players about 10 years ago. If I get into other Minny sports the look isn't much better. Wrestlers selling drugs, a former AD with sexual harassment charges. How about Reggie Lynch on your B Ball team getting arrested on a sexual assault allegation this year. Yes, guess I will claim superiority in character of the program.

This thread is about Fleck anyway. Most here seem to think he'll do well at Minny. I am not as sure. To me, he is an egomaniac that talks a lot about his culture, but will do whatever it takes to win even if it entails taking on shady characters that happen to be good in football. We'll probably see you back here if Minny wins next year's game, but if that happens and your school still hasn't cleaned up this ugly culture, I would rather be prouder of our program in defeat. Hope Fleck is all he thinks he is.

Minnesota went 9-4
Northwestern went 7-6

Minnesota went 9-4
Northwestern went 7-6

When was the last time you won a Big Ten Championship? Was that when Paul Giel(sp?) captain? Can't seem to remember the last time the Gophers played in the Rose Bowl. Can you help me out? One thing I do hope that Fleck does, is clean up your undisciplined football program.

Minnesota went 9-4
Northwestern went 7-6

"But the idea that Northwestern is or should be superior to Minnesota is ludicrous."

Thus you are saying Minnesota is or should be superior to NU? Are, or should be whites superior to other races? Even without a level playing field (JUCOs and academic standards), it will be interesting to see who is superior, and by what criteria. Get back to us in three three years.

"But the idea that Northwestern is or should be superior to Minnesota is ludicrous."

Thus you are saying Minnesota is or should be superior to NU? Are, or should be whites superior to other races? Even without a level playing field (JUCOs and academic standards), it will be interesting to see who is superior, and by what criteria. Get back to us in three three years.

Are you dense?

I clearly stated that right now Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Norhwestern are all very similar programs on the field.

I'm not saying Minnesota is superior. I'm saying the notion that Northwestern is or should be superior to Minnesota is absurd.

Are you dense?

I clearly stated that right now Minnesota, Iowa, Nebraska, and Norhwestern are all very similar programs on the field.

I'm not saying Minnesota is superior. I'm saying the notion that Northwestern is or should be superior to Minnesota is absurd.

Disagree. While we have disadvantages at NU with admissons, we have a lot of advantages over Minnesota. I believe that NU should indeed be superior to Minnesota.

Disagree. While we have disadvantages at NU with admissons, we have a lot of advantages over Minnesota. I believe that NU should indeed be superior to Minnesota.

Both schools are good programs and would be considered good jobs. Again I respect Northwestern.

But you say you guys have advantages over MN? Ok, but the reverse is true as well.

Minnesota has a lot of advantages over NU. You guys play in a D2 stadium and you're frequently matched or even outnumbered by visiting fanbases.

Minnesota can sell life in one of the most exciting and beautiful cities in America.

Both schools have elite internship opportunities as compared to the rest of the conference. Minnesota players are closer to those opportunities geographically, but that is one area where both schools are ahead of the rest of the conference.

I think most people would say Minnesota currently has a higher ceiling than Northwestern due to your stadium and small fanbase.

But I think the programs are currently comparable. As is always the case in CFB, a lot depends on what happens over the next 5-8 years because that is the amount of time recruits remember when they are assessing a program.

Both schools are good programs and would be considered good jobs. Again I respect Northwestern.

But you say you guys have advantages over MN? Ok, but the reverse is true as well.

Minnesota has a lot of advantages over NU. You guys play in a D2 stadium and you're frequently matched or even outnumbered by visiting fanbases.

Minnesota can sell life in one of the most exciting and beautiful cities in America.

Both schools have elite internship opportunities as compared to the rest of the conference. Minnesota players are closer to those opportunities geographically, but that is one area where both schools are ahead of the rest of the conference.

I think most people would say Minnesota currently has a higher ceiling than Northwestern due to your stadium and small fanbase.

But I think the programs are currently comparable. As is always the case in CFB, a lot depends on what happens over the next 5-8 years because that is the amount of time recruits remember when they are assessing a program.

NU academics >>> Minnesota academics

NU location >> Minnesota location

NU job opportunities >> Minnesota job opportunities (especially for guys who aren't local and don't necessarily want to stick around Minneapolis after graduation)

NU recruiting base >> Minnesota recruiting base (even if you keep all Minnesota talent in state, we have Chicago and much better access to OH and PA)

NU facilities > Minnesota facilities (soon; both will have new facilities, but literally nobody in the country has facilities like the lakeside location we have)

Minnesota stadium >> NU stadium (no argument there)

Minnesota fan base >> NU fan base (we don't have much of a natural fan base and compete with a lot of entertainment options in Chicago)

NU job opportunities >> Minnesota job opportunities (especially for guys who aren't local and don't necessarily want to stick around Minneapolis after graduation)

NU recruiting base >> Minnesota recruiting base (even if you keep all Minnesota talent in state, we have Chicago and much better access to OH and PA)

NU facilities > Minnesota facilities (soon; both will have new facilities, but literally nobody in the country has facilities like the lakeside location we have)

Minnesota fan base >> NU fan base (we don't have much of a natural fan base and compete with a lot of entertainment options in Chicago)
I think that an unbiased third party would agree with the above.

Are you dense?

No, I'm just old. Thank you for clarifying. Often the same phrase can have different meanings, especially if one is an overly sensitive Northwestern fan.

Reactions: AhliBobwa
WTH? This one comes WAY out of left field.
It is as good an analogy as I could come up with on short notice, and it is clear. NOT trying to introduce race into the thread for god's sake. Please don't get on me for using the word god.

NU Wildcat >> Minnesota Gopher

It is as good an analogy as I could come up with on short notice, and it is clear. NOT trying to introduce race into the thread for god's sake. Please don't get on me for using the word god.
It was just weird. The wording sounded like if he thought that Minnesota was better than NU, then he was a racist. I know that was not the intent but it was just strange. Also strange is the statement that you were not trying to introduce race into the thread by introducing race into the thread. I know that I am being my usual "pretentious ass" here. But c'mon... that was one really, really strange thing to say in that context.

I'll give you academics obviously, although Minnesota has a great business school and most CFB recruits aren't obsessed with academic rankings like we all might be (full disclosure, I loved northwestern's campus and strongly considered attending before deciding to go the liberal arts school route at Carleton College Northfield).

That said, Minnesota is absolutely in a better location than Northwestern. Minnesota is IN Minneapolis.

Northwestern is NEAR Chicago. That's a huge difference.

You don't have to travel anywhere to enjoy Minneapolis if you're at the U---you walk out off campus and there it is.

And sure Chicago is in your back yard, but northwestern doesn't 'own' Chicago or Illinois the way many other Big 10 schools own their own backyards. Minneapolis is a fantastic city with a bajillion Fortune 500 companies, so the after college
Prospects in both schools are
Similarly great. No advantage to either side there---although both NU and the U of M have an advantage over other Big10 schools in the regard).

Your small school status greatly limits your fanbase. You have to fight Illinois, notre dame, Wisconsin, and a score of other schools who all consider Chicago just as much their backyard as yours.

Minnesota belongs to the U of M. It's literally the only D1 school in the state which is unique among Power 5 programs.

And Minnesota and Northwestern are both spending roughly the same amount of coin to upgrade facilities---being on a lake is nice but not a clear advantage.

Also it bears repeating that Ryan Field is just brutal--arguably the worst power 5 conferenfe stadium in America.

It was just weird. The wording sounded like if he thought that Minnesota was better than NU, then he was a racist. I know that was not the intent but it was just strange. Also strange is the statement that you were not trying to introduce race into the thread by introducing race into the thread. I know that I am being my usual "pretentious ass" here. But c'mon... that was one really, really strange thing to say in that context.
No, but with a handle like AhliBobwa, some board members might get on him for being Islamist.

Reactions: AhliBobwa
And to be clear I think Northwestern has a really great program. I really like the Wizgerald (as I like to call him).

I don't take you guys lightly and believe Minnesota will have to continue improving in order to continue beating the Cats more often than losing to them.

Last thing, Goldy has won the Capitol One Mascot Challenge a million times. I don't think there's a mascot in the country that is better than Goldy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT