Barnhizer305246+6+0.0+6.0
Roper81210+2+3.5+5.5
Martinelli4108+2-0.3+1.7
Audige396461+3-2.6+0.4
Verhoeven51210+2-1.5+0.5
Beran264244-2+1.8-0.2
Berry274239+3-4.5-1.5
Nicholson253537-2-0.4-2.4

Buie and Barnhizer led the way, but it was a team effort and nobody played poorly.
Audige shot the ball better than he has recently and had 16 points, but was not nearly as energized as normal (no steals, 3 rebounds, no blocks, no assists, no turnovers).
Roper was off to a good start before his injury.

With 5:28 left to play, NU trailed 57-56. Over the next 2 minutes, we outscored Wisconsin 4-2 using Nicholson, Barnhizer, Buie, Audige and Berry.
Collins subbed Beran in for Berry with 3:31 left and that lineup put us up 66-62 with 26 seconds left.

Barnhizer stepped up and played the last 18 1/2 minutes without a break. Audige and Buie played the entire 2nd half.

I continue to believe that the "frontcourt" of Nicholson/Beran/Barnhizer is one of our better lineups,.
Presumably Collins doesn't use it because Barnhizer and Beran are each other's replacement.
With Verhoeven struggling, Collins has been using Beran at the 5, with Barnhizer at the 4.
Hopefully, if Roper has to miss time, Martinelli can step forward to provide minutes at the 3 or 4.

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Clearly Verhoeven played better than Big Matty. Did Ty V really have 5 fouls in 5 minutes?

Lies, damn lies and statistics. Clearly Verhoeven played better than Big Matty. Did Ty V really have 5 fouls in 5 minutes?
Yeah, Verhoeven essentially did nothing in 5 minutes, other than pick up 5 fouls.
Well, I think he had an assist, an offensive rebound and a missed putback...
But his teammates played fine when he was out there and he had a +2 for the game.

I don't know how to incoporate fouls into my "player adjustments."
Sometimes fouls are good plays, sometimes they are bad plays and sometimes they just have to be committed.

Reactions: drewjin
To my eyes, a couple of them were pretty questionable, although the refs were calling that kind of a game.

Alan Smithee thought they were all legit, although he also said in the same post that if he were a ref, he'd be looking for reasons to call fouls on Verhoeven.

Some of the Verhoeven posts are really Matt Nicholson posts in disguise. I definitely like Verhoeven (I watched him at UTEP) and I do think he puts in good effort, but I also like Big Matt and am thrilled with the progress he is making this season. I don't understand the need to attack one player at the expense of the other. They both have their roles on the team.

To my eyes, a couple of them were pretty questionable, although the refs were calling that kind of a game.

Alan Smithee thought they were all legit, although he also said in the same post that if he were a ref, he'd be looking for reasons to call fouls on Verhoeven.

Some of the Verhoeven posts are really Matt Nicholson posts in disguise. I definitely like Verhoeven (I watched him at UTEP) and I do think he puts in good effort, but I also like Big Matt and am thrilled with the progress he is making this season. I don't understand the need to attack one player at the expense of the other. They both have their roles on the team.
That’s actually not what I said. I implied that he fouls a ton, and said accordingly if I were a ref my attention would be drawn to him.

It’s the only time I recall posting anything about him. And I did so only this time in response to a complaint about the officiating. And I mentioned him in particular only because of his obvious disbelief at so many of the calls.

That’s actually not what I said. I implied that he fouls a ton, and said accordingly if I were a ref my attention would be drawn to him.

It’s the only time I recall posting anything about him. And I did so only this time in response to a complaint about the officiating. And I mentioned him in particular only because of his obvious disbelief at so many of the calls.
I didn't accuse you of making other posts about him. I said that you thought his fouls were legit and I don't see the distinction on the ref comment; if your attention as a ref were drawn to him, you'd be looking for reasons to call fouls. I happen to agree with Verhoeven with his disbelief at some of the calls.

I typically don't call out an individual player, especially on this woebegone program. I'm generally happy that talented kids are willing to take a chance. I draw the line at 5 fouls in 5 minutes tho. Let's say 2 we're bad calls. 3 fouls in 5 minutes is still unacceptable

• Haha
I typically don't call out an individual player, especially on this woebegone program. I'm generally happy that talented kids are willing to take a chance. I draw the line at 5 fouls in 5 minutes tho. Let's say 2 we're bad calls. 3 fouls in 5 minutes is still unacceptable
Well, he had been called for 0 fouls in his previous 2 games, so having watched the entirety of the Wisconsin game and some of the other fouls these refs called, I'm not going to crucify a player over this particular game.

That’s ‘Nicholbomb in 2022’ bad :)

ADVERTISEMENT