Martinelli355+0-0.1-0.1
Berry182430-6-1.4-7.4
Roper222739-12+2.4-9.6
Verhoeven161931-12+1.3-10.7
Buie385167-16+4.1-11.9
Barnhizer263848-10-2.8-12.8
Beran191730-13-0.3-13.3
Audige364459-15-6.3-21.3

Not many of our guys gave a good effort, but Buie did his best and Nicholson played a solid game. Audige was at the other end of the spectrum for the 2nd consecutive outing. Verhoeven and Beran struggled to contribute.

We played our worst offense as a team when Beran was in the game, scoring 17 points in about 19 1/2 minutes.
Ignoring Martinelli's 3 minutes, we played our best offense when Nicholson was on the court, but that was only 30 points in just over 20 minutes.

We changed lineups 20 times but never outscored Michigan by more than 2 points in any segment.
Michigan went on a 9-2 run against Verhoeven, Barnhizer, Audige, Buie and Roper, right after we subbed out Nicholson, Berry and Beran with 16:42 to play.

Other than Buie's 3 for 6 from distance, the rest of the guys were 0 for 13, with Audige going 0 for 7.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Something must be wrong with MN. Lingering fatigue from Covid maybe? "Freshman" wall? (I know he's not a Freshman, but it's his first year in the rotation). His minutes are down, and his energy on the court doesn't seem the same as a few weeks ago. I don't think it's just a coaching decision.

Something must be wrong with MN. Lingering fatigue from Covid maybe? "Freshman" wall? (I know he's not a Freshman, but it's his first year in the rotation). His minutes are down, and his energy on the court doesn't seem the same as a few weeks ago. I don't think it's just a coaching decision.
I do think Nicholson was looking tired in the Iowa game, but he seemed energized to me last night. I was annoyed he only played 20 minutes.

Collins has him running all over the court on both offense and defense. Tough to keep doing that all season because he is so big. He also had some sort of wrap on his knee recently.

I forget if it was Jess Settles or Trent Meacham, but one of the analysts commented on this recently... "most coaches in the Big Ten will park a guy that big down in the block - Coach Collins has his centers setting ball screens and playing defense at the arc."

Our offense usually begins with the Center setting a pick, and possibly roll, for Boo up top.

Matt was wearing some kind of knee thing, which I haven't seen on him before.

It seems as long as TV is doing well enough defensively, Collins likes to rest Matt until TV gets into foul trouble.
Both Boo and Chase began having success in the second half when they took it to the rim. All those wasted three attempts when everyone was clearly shooting poorly...

I do think Nicholson was looking tired in the Iowa game, but he seemed energized to me last night. I was annoyed he only played 20 minutes.

Collins has him running all over the court on both offense and defense. Tough to keep doing that all season because he is so big. He also had some sort of wrap on his knee recently.

I forget if it was Jess Settles or Trent Meacham, but one of the analysts commented on this recently... "most coaches in the Big Ten will park a guy that big down in the block - Coach Collins has his centers setting ball screens and playing defense at the arc."
Jess or Trent may not have seen Big Matt shoot as many non-dunk lay-ups as you and I have. Parking him on the block would seem like a bad mis-use of his talents.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
Filopowski is a 7 footer and was all over the court on offense and defense. He also leads the break at times.

MN is going to be a force next year.

Jess or Trent may not have seen Big Matt shoot as many non-dunk lay-ups as you and I have. Parking him on the block would seem like a bad mis-use of his talents.

If you ignore rebounds and blocked/altered shots, then you may have a point.
And last time I checked, dunks count for 2 points.

ADVERTISEMENT