Buie429194-3+4.25+3.65
Nicholson163628+8-1.20+0.40
Clayton105-5+0.4-0.60
Langborg398890-2-0.89-1.29
Barnhizer398589-4-1.15-1.95
Martinelli224647-1-1.93-2.13
Hunger142931-2-3.73-4.13
Preston142534-9-3.50-5.30

Had Nicholson been allowed to play longer, NU wins this game. The way we were shooting, we maybe win by 6-10. But the refs did what they love to do and intervened.

The referees called an obvious offensive foul on Gillis for physically plowing Ty Berry down the lane, but Edey does that repeatedly and the zebras allow it - or call fouls on the defender.
There is a different set of rules for Edey.
Meanwhile, Nicholson picked up a foul for standing next to Edey with his hand on Edeys hip. He got another foul for standing still and another foul for jumping.
Oh well, can't do anything about it. Its just tough to watch when the refs are putting your team at a disadvantage,

The starters (Nicholson/Barnhizer/Buie/Berry/Langborg) hammered the Boilers 18-9 in 7 minutes of play. Scored easily, didn't allow much.
No reason to think that wouldn't happen again.
With Hunger at center with the same 4 starters, we played to an 18-18 draw over 8 1/2 minutes.
However, when Preston was at center with the same 4, we lost 22-14 in 6 1/2 minutes.

Ty Berry poured in 25 points on only 14 shots. A couple were a bit forced, but he played a great game. Buie was only slightly less effective.
Jordan Clayton played 1 minute and we were beaten 5-0. With all the fouls being called on NU, Collins was forced to sub constantly.
33 or so substitutions for this game, when our normal is 18-25. Eventually he had no one to sub.

The "golden lineup" (Nicholson/Martinelli/Barnhizer/Berry/Buie) only saw two minutes of action early in the game. They lost 4-3.

Oh, I declared "garbage time" with 2 seconds left to play, just as Chris Collins went onto the court to discuss matters with a referee who witnessed and ignored a crucial offensive foul.
So those 4 free throws are not counted.

I don't want to continue on the refs as so many posts have been made about it and I agree with what is written above.

So I will just add it's not shocking to see Preston's +/-. For a 5th year senior he is hella naive.

Last edited:
Reactions: IGNORE2
I don't want to continue on the refs as so many posts have been made about it and I agree with what is written above.

So I will just add it's not shocking to see Preston's +/-. For a 5th year season is hella naive.

There are certain games where your big guy just can't handle the opponent physically.
Thankfully these are rarer now with Nicholson, Hunger and Preston.
In the Nance/Beran days, a bunch of Big Ten bigs pushed us around. Now its really just Edey.

There are certain games where your big guy just can't handle the opponent physically.
Thankfully these are rarer now with Nicholson, Hunger and Preston.
In the Nance/Beran days, a bunch of Big Ten bigs pushed us around. Now its really just Edey.
Matt is a physical presence for sure but double teaming the post aggressively has made a big difference. And we are a much worse rebounding team than in prior years (302nd in rebounding rate), so I feel like we are getting pushed around on the boards more this year (maybe it's been distorted by the 2 Purdue games). Audige was a good rebounder so I am sure losing him hurts but we need to make some big strides over the next 10 games.

Reactions: drewjin and IGNORE2
One of the great moments in sportscasting - they usually say something like "stay tuned...", but this dude said something like "We know where you'll be." as he cut away. He'll never be righter. Watched it all. Whatta game. Why didn't Boo's layup to win swish?

You gotta like what you see in NU's level of play. They look like they CAN win any game. Plenty of season ahead!

we are getting pushed around on the boards more this year (maybe it's been distorted by the 2 Purdue games).
This sums my thoughts. IL and PU really killed us with offensive rebounding. But then I am watching the game against OSU (maybe not the greatest example as it was a blow out) and thinking that maybe it's the calendar, and we are not that bad.

Reactions: drewjin
This sums my thoughts. IL and PU really killed us with offensive rebounding. But then I am watching the game against OSU (maybe not the greatest example as it was a blow out) and thinking that maybe it's the calendar, and we are not that bad.
The fact is that we play a small lineup.
Against Purdue we we smaller at 4 positions. Buie is bigger than Smith,
Against Illinois we were smaller at 4 positions. Nicholson is bigger than Hawkins.

When you play small and don't get out and run, the other team would be dumb not to crash the offensive boards.

And we don't really crash the boards on our offensive possessions.

Reactions: GatoLouco
The fact is that we play a small lineup.
Against Purdue we we smaller at 4 positions. Buie is bigger than Smith,
Against Illinois we were smaller at 4 positions. Nicholson is bigger than Hawkins.

When you play small and don't get out and run, the other team would be dumb not to crash the offensive boards.

And we don't really crash the boards on our offensive possessions.
That is all true and point to being at a disadvantage... on average.

Yet, there's a difference between getting less offensive rebounds than your opponent and getting annihilated. Sample of offensive rebounds differential (opponent/NU):

First game vs Purdue 15-6
First game vs IL 9-8 - they would not miss, not much to rebound
Second game vs IL - 21-7
Second game vs Purdue - 12-3 - I believe they had 9 at the half

Total vs IL+PU 57-24
Average: 14.3-6.0
Difference: 8.3

Remaining B1G games: 49-42
MSU 10-8
PSU 9-2
WI 8-6
MD 6-11
NE 8-11
OSU 8-4

Average: 8.2-7.0
Difference: 1.2

Not the most advance stats, % of rebounds is much better. But kind of quick back of the envelope numbers there.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT