ADVERTISEMENT

Further proof: The fault DOES lie in the stars

Well cataloged

Sep 15, 2005
The nut graph: "Medicare awarded three stars to some of the nation's most esteemed hospitals, including Cedars-Sinai Medical Center in Los Angeles, New York-Presbyterian Hospital in Manhattan and Chicago's Northwestern Memorial Hospital."

Meanwhile, in no surprise to any Wildcat fan who follows Rivals.Com, Grant Medical Center in Columbus got four stars.

This all gives a whole new meaning to the term "Medicare Fix."

Illinois hospitals: How patients rate them

After reviewing these ratings, I've decided that if I have a serious illness, I'll pass on Univ. of Chicago, Northwestern Memorial, Rush, Univ. of Illinois, etc., and go to Rochelle Community Hospital. Five stars are always better, right?

The criteria used to evaluate these hospitals are not based on medical care but on "people c are", i.e how do we treat our patients? The highest rated ones I se listed here are not the tertiary, cutting edge medical care centers but are smaller institutions which base their care on good medical principles but also personal care of the patient, easier to accomplish when the patient population is smaller, and referral to tertiary centers more likely.
The headlines grab your attention but digger down into the story allows a clearer picture of what's being evaluated. From a personal; standpoint I travel around the country evaluating specific hospital programs, and have a clear grasp on what is being reported her. and, no, I would not bypass the tertiary care centers for ones listed as 5 stars if my care in involved the need for up to date and advanced care only available in tertiary centers. Those rated 5 stars here offer excellent patient care as seen by the patients who responded to the questions asked.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT