ADVERTISEMENT

Future of PF

IGNORE

Jan 15, 2019
If McCall is not fired by June, I would like to see a groundswell movement to remove PF from HC. This would convince me that PF doesn’t have the cajones to be HC. Move him to the Athletic Office. If he quits, fine.

Reactions: jimmyNU
You would like to see it, but you would be disappointed. Pat will remain a fan favorite regardless of McCall's fate.
No matter what, we will always be a stepping stone for someone who has success at NU. You can't make decisions out of fear/uncertainty but that is our reality.

No matter what, we will always be a stepping stone for someone who has success at NU. You can't make decisions out of fear/uncertainty but that is our reality.
??

Who has left for a better job? First, Pat isn't leaving. He has the best job in college football: no pressure, $5.1 Million salary and growing every year, Taj Fitz facilities, kids who don't get into trouble and graduate, a supportive administration and fans who by and large tolerate underperformance except in the most egregious circumstances (like the 2019 season). Second, NU's staff have been amazingly resistant to moving to better jobs. In the last half dozen or so years they have lost the LB coach to a DC job at Pitt and the OL coach to HC at an FCS school. Third, wouldn't you WANT to have coaches who are good enough to use a B1G job as a stepping stone? I sure would.

??

Who has left for a better job? First, Pat isn't leaving. He has the best job in college football: no pressure, $5.1 Million salary and growing every year, Taj Fitz facilities, kids who don't get into trouble and graduate, a supportive administration and fans who by and large tolerate underperformance except in the most egregious circumstances (like the 2019 season). Second, NU's staff have been amazingly resistant to moving to better jobs. In the last half dozen or so years they have lost the LB coach to a DC job at Pitt and the OL coach to HC at an FCS school. Third, wouldn't you WANT to have coaches who are good enough to use a B1G job as a stepping stone? I sure would.
Gary Barnett. Not saying PF is leaving, he would be an idiot to walk away from 5.1M a year. Amazingly resistant or purposly overlooked.

Gary Barnett. Not saying PF is leaving, he would be an idiot to walk away from 5.1M a year. Amazingly resistant or purposly overlooked.
The situation at NU Barnett faced is light years different from what it is today. With Phillips as AD and the facilities NU has now, I doubt Barnett would have left.

Reactions: drewjin

With NU paying the twelfth highest salary to a college football head coach, there are few higher positions to step up to.

Reactions: Titanium999
You would like to see it, but you would be disappointed. Pat will remain a fan favorite regardless of McCall's fate.
Not really a fan favorite now, let alone after his lack of cajones.
He has got away with talking crap about fans because he has had wins.
His refusal to support the players is tragic.

Reactions: IGNORE
I appreciate that Fitz has a long-term mentality and doesn’t get sucked into the “what have you done for me lately?” mentality that tends to dominate college football. Really, I do.

But... I mean... how on Earth do you not fire the offensive coordinator who is in charge of an offense that put up 6 points in three games, and is dead last in numerous statistical categories? This season is a lost cause, but any head coach would try to contain the damage and look for a spark that the team and fans can get excited about.

As it stands, everyone is just dreading the rest of the season and desperately hoping that at the end of it is an OC shakeup. That’s no way to run a program.

Not really a fan favorite now, let alone after his lack of cajones.
He has got away with talking crap about fans because he has had wins.
His refusal to support the players is tragic.
Fitz is without a doubt a players coach. He looks after players as if they were his kids. This whole thread is nothing but discusting. It shows how hard it is to find loyalty in this world. One bad season after four of the best NU has ever had, and you all want him gone. It is hard to be an NU fan not because of the coaches or players, but because of the fans. Northwestern doesn't have a huge fan base, but the small base is also polluted with a pretty good number of fans nobody would want. I saw it in the poor sport attitude when were winning , and yesterday when we lost. The team never embarrasses me, but the fans almost always do. We have some great fans who truly love this program, but we have a good number who are the worst. If my son was a senior picking a school this year and I knew we would lose every game for the next four years, my son would still be a Wildcat if Fitz and his staff were going to be here all four years. He was Coach of the year last year by the way.

Last edited:
Fitz is without a doubt a players coach. He looks after players as if they were his kids. This whole thread is nothing but discusting. It shows how hard it is to find loyalty in this world. One bad season after four of the best NU has ever had, and you all want him gone. It is hard to be an NU fan not because of the coaches or players, but because of the fans. Northwestern doesn't have a huge fan base, but the small base is also polluted with a pretty good number of fans nobody would want. I saw it in the poor sport attitude when were winning , and yesterday when we lost. The team never embarrasses me, but the fans almost always do. We have some great fans who truly love this program, but we have a good number who are the worst. If my son was a senior picking a school this year and I knew we would lose every game for the next four years, my son would still be a Wildcat if Fitz and his staff were going to be here all four years. He was Coach of the year last year by the way.

You're judging NU fans based on the idiots on here? That's not fair. There are thousands of NU fans who wouldn't dream of coming on and being poopy like we are. We're the poopiest NU fans. Don't judge our entire fanbase by this forum.

CC, none of us have your perspective, but I understand based on your earlier posts.

Where we diverge: it is one thing to support a young man/student athlete through thick and thin, like Jango. It is quite another for Fitz to continue to support, year after year, an underperforming millionaire OC. Unless you are otherwise informed and are prepared to say Fitz gives no creative freedom to McCall, I find it impossible to support the OC

I love the Cats and will be in the stands the next three weeks despite the stunningly bad offense I have been witnessing this year. I like to think I have perspective and a long memory when these seasons were the rule, and not the exception, and when we had a highly rated pass defense because nobody had to pass against us to go up and down the field. Realistically, I am hoping to be able to see a little progress and to cheer for guys who have helped win three straight bowl games!

CC, none of us have your perspective, but I understand based on your earlier posts.

Where we diverge: it is one thing to support a young man/student athlete through thick and thin, like Jango. It is quite another for Fitz to continue to support, year after year, an underperforming millionaire OC. Unless you are otherwise informed and are prepared to say Fitz gives no creative freedom to McCall, I find it impossible to support the OC
McCall was the winning OC for the last four years. While we won three consecutive Bowl he was OC. He is the OC who beat Utah after half our fans left, only to miss the comeback. He is the OC who took us to the B1G Championsip. You can coach kids, but you can't play for them. I have no doubt if Fitz thinks this team is better off replacing a coach he will. But Fitz will not do anything to apeaze anyone, and that is what makes Fitz not only a great Coach , but a great human being.

I love the Cats and will be in the stands the next three weeks despite the stunningly bad offense I have been witnessing this year. I like to think I have perspective and a long memory when these seasons were the rule, and not the exception, and when we had a highly rated pass defense because nobody had to pass against us to go up and down the field. Realistically, I am hoping to be able to see a little progress and to cheer for guys who have helped win three straight bowl games!
I am sure the players and coaches love and appreciate fans like you. I have nothing but respect for you, and as a parent of a once player I thank you. Have faith things will turn around. And know that this staff represents the very best in college football. They truly do everything right.

Last edited:
If McCall is not fired by June, I would like to see a groundswell movement to remove PF from HC. This would convince me that PF doesn’t have the cajones to be HC. Move him to the Athletic Office. If he quits, fine.
Fitzgerald can stay as long as his stomach can handle being the " head hincho" for a company that does some good things with a barbaric sport that will be outlawed soon enough. I sure wouldn't want to see 10-20 kids facing major surgery every year. But lots of good things happen too,like pro contracts, college graduation,and good paying jobs. All that glitters is not gold.

You can say a lot of things about Fitz, but refusing to support the players is not one of them. Where the hell do you get that idea from?
In simplest terms, it is true. He converted to pure management. Why do you think Phillips and Morty loves him?
He eliminated all fan involvement and how do you think the players feel?
They put in hard work 24/7 and EXPECT Fitz to honor that but Fitz' is a good management boy and REFUSES to pull the trigger on an OC that has been a complete disaster.

I would be pissed off at Fitz' good ole boy club if I were a player.

The evidence is convincing. If he cared about the players then why the hell is McCall still here?

Get McCall the hell out of here. What is wrong with you people? This is Local.

In simplest terms, it is true. He converted to pure management. Why do you think Phillips and Morty loves him?
They put in hard work 24/7 and EXPECT Fitz to honor that but Fitz' is a good management boy and REFUSES to pull the trigger on an OC that has been a complete disaster.

The evidence is convincing. If he cared about the players then why the hell is McCall still here?

That was a whole lot of words to pretty much say he should fire McCall (which I happen to agree with). But if you can’t see the difference between the need for personnel changes and supporting players as people, students, and players, then you’re completely missing the point.

That was a whole lot of words to pretty much say he should fire McCall (which I happen to agree with). But if you can’t see the difference between the need for personnel changes and supporting players as people, students, and players, then you’re completely missing the point.
No. You are missing the point. We shouldnt be even having this discussion but McCall is in Fitz' good ole boy club.

Go back and read why each of a dozen (and more capable than McCall) OC got fired. In each case, the HC says he has to support the team.

Tell me, do you honestly think Fitz is supporting the team by not sending McCall packing?

My son was a player for Fitz and totally disagrees with you. You can speculate how you would feel as a player all you want, but you were never a player for Fitz. And almost to a man these players love Fitz and trust Fitz. Players don't come to NU for the new facilities, they come to play for Fitz. ( Coach of the year)

Reactions: Bwm57
My son was a player for Fitz and totally disagrees with you. You can speculate how you would feel as a player all you want, but you were never a player for Fitz. And almost to a man these players love Fitz and trust Fitz. Players don't come to NU for the new facilities, they come to play for Fitz.
I dont have to be a player to know that Fitz is NOT supporting the team. The players might not feel that but you cant possibly tell me that keeping McCall supports this team.

Why are we having this discussion since I assume you know better?
Answer me the academic question, is keeping McCall supporting the seniors and the team?
Yes or no?

I dont have to be a player to know that Fitz is NOT supporting the team. The players might not feel that but you cant possibly tell me that keeping McCall supports this team.

Why are we having this discussion since I assume you know better?
Answer me the academic question, is keeping McCall supporting the seniors and the team?
Yes or no?
I have faith that if the team is better off without any coach, Fitz will do what needs to be done. Nobody on these boards has any clue what is going on with this team except the players and coaches. If Fitz keeps a coach I support his choice, just as if he replaces one. I blame the senior players more for this season than I do the coaches. These players have the exact same coaches and coaching as the last four Senior classes have had.

And this team doesnt trust itself, let alone Fitz. Just pointing to the scoreboard. The D absolutely dialed out. As fans, its easy to see no intensity and mailing it in.

Sorry but Indy sucks. Our D broke trust and dialed out. Plain to see but if the pollyannas want to fancy themselves by doubling down that our D played for Fitz against Indy then I guess nobody can stop them. Get real!

I have faith that if the team is better off without any coach, Fitz will do what needs to be done. Nobody on these boards has any clue what is going on with this team except the players and coaches. If Fitz keeps a coach I support his choice, just as if he replaces one. I blame the senior players more for this season than I do the coaches. These players have the exact same coaches and coaching as the last four Senior classes have had.

There’s no basis in recent history for Fitz letting go of an underperforming coach.

McCall was the winning OC for the last four years. While we won three consecutive Bowl he was OC. He is the OC who beat Utah after half our fans left, only to miss the comeback. He is the OC who took us to the B1G Championsip. You can coach kids, but you can't play for them. I have no doubt if Fitz thinks this team is better off replacing a coach he will. But Fitz will not do anything to apeaze anyone, and that is what makes Fitz not only a great Coach , but a great human being.

Hank’s defense forced three turnovers in the the third quarter of the Holiday Bowl and sparked the comeback. Not McCall’s offense.

This offense hasn’t been able to carry the team to victory for a long, long time. Now that the defense isn’t as opportunistic as past years, we are seeing the ineptitude in full force.

Like I said, I like Fitz’s approach to program building. But he’s far past tenured enough to be sure of himself and cut loose the weak links.

Absolutely us fans have a clue, its easy to see and very objective, our offense is a complete disaster and has been for the 4 years you mention.
Look, obviously, you cant be objective because your son got a free ride. I get it. But, dude, this is basic. Since you have faith, you are blinded. I get it because faith is the only out you could say.

Absolutely us fans have a clue, its easy to see and very objective, our offense is a complete disaster and has been for the 4 years you mention.
Look, obviously, you cant be objective because your son got a free ride. I get it. But, dude, this is basic. Since you have faith, you are blinded. I get it because faith is the only out you could say.
My son got a free ride to Northwestern and that has blinded me? Go back and read my posts, I can definitely be objective.

Reactions: Rebel_
Hank’s defense forced three turnovers in the the third quarter of the Holiday Bowl and sparked the comeback. Not McCall’s offense.

This offense hasn’t been able to carry the team to victory for a long, long time. Now that the defense isn’t as opportunistic as past years, we are seeing the ineptitude in full force.

Like I said, I like Fitz’s approach to program building. But he’s far past tenured enough to be sure of himself and cut loose the weak links.
Hanks is the best DC in the B1G

Reactions: NUCats and Rebel_
Have to say: some of you guys are nuts. Fitzgerald is having a down year. Sh$& happens even to the best.
The guy is a great coach and will go down as a legend at NU. Trust me: you don’t want a revolving door of coaches. That is a death sentence.
Any school not named OSU goes through growth spurts.
Do you remember the years when the number “10” was on the other side of the ledger? 10 win seasons are an incredible feat. He’s had 3 of them and two 9 win seasons. Nearly half of his coaching career is 9 or more wins.

Go ahead and get rid of him. You will have signed your own death sentence.
Not a good strategy.

Have to say: some of you guys are nuts. Fitzgerald is having a down year. Sh$& happens even to the best.
The guy is a great coach and will go down as a legend at NU. Trust me: you don’t want a revolving door of coaches. That is a death sentence.
Do you remember the years when the number “10” was on the other side of the ledger? 10 win seasons are an incredible feat. He’s had 3 of them and two 9 win seasons. Nearly half of his coaching career is 9 or more wins.

Not a good strategy.
Nearly all of us are only asking that the OC be held accountable for a) the worst offense in the country and/or b) way below average for the past five to seven years despite NFL/Draft level talent on offense. That's all. Hold him accountable. Demand a recovery plan. Like any other multi million $ company would demand of its top management.

Perhaps this accountability is there but is not transparent. It just doesnt seem that way, for years

Reactions: IGNORE and lunker35

Not a good strategy.
Any other school would have fired him by now. Our last 2 coaches were better and brought in Big Ten Champion players. Fitzgerald has had twice the time here but the program is regressing. Throw on the facilities he has to work with.

He wont get fired but he should. Isnt like he won any championship. We wouldnt be any worse off.

Best hope for our offense is that McCall feels the pressure and retires. But not sure he will walk away from that 600k salary.

Any other school would have fired him by now. Our last 2 coaches were better and brought in Big Ten Champion players. Fitzgerald has had twice the time here but the program is regressing. Throw on the facilities he has to work with.

He wont get fired but he should. Isnt like he won any championship. We wouldnt be any worse off.
You have lost your mind if you think Fitz should be fired.

You have lost your mind if you think Fitz should be fired.
Their recruiting blows. So it isnt just this year.
Regarding this year, the players have dialed out. Fitz' 'buzz lightyear' speeches dont have any affect whatsoever. People are looking forward to the holidays and an end to the beatings.

Regarding this year, the players have dialed out. Fitz' 'buzz lightyear' speeches dont have any affect whatsoever. People are looking forward to the holidays and an end to the beatings.
to paraphrase Bilbo Baggins: " I know that (Fitz) can be obstinate and pigheaded and difficult. (he's) suspicious and secretive with the worst manners you can possibly imagine But (he is) also brave and kind and loyal to a fault I've grown very fond of (him) and I would save (him) if I can"

Reactions: drewjin and NJCat
You are all over the board Turk. Now recruiting blows, before the Coaching staff sucks. Who’s fault is it next, the fans?

Turk, your posts are cringeworthy. Pat Fitzgerald took a beating from everyone to protect a player. Everyone is frustrated with this year but as history has shown, he will get it figured out.

Reactions: CrippleCat
ADVERTISEMENT