ADVERTISEMENT

FYI - Calzada commits to Texas A&M

I don't see why we can't get a 2019 guy. Hunter will be 2 years ahead of any QB coming in with this class. There's also a good chance that hunter goes to the NFL early after his junior season so any 2019 QB could compete for the starting spot as either a redshirt freshman or redshirt sophomore.

I don't see why we can't get a 2019 guy. Hunter will be 2 years ahead of any QB coming in with this class. There's also a good chance that hunter goes to the NFL early after his junior season so any 2019 QB could compete for the starting spot as either a redshirt freshman or redshirt sophomore.

Hard to sell a quality 2019 kid on “yeah you probably won’t have much of a chance to see the field for three years. But, listen, it might only be two years!”

If Davis Beville commits, that’s great. After all, he could very conceivably start as a redshirt sophomore, if Hunter Johnson goes the NFL route after his redshirt junior season. Given his offer list right now, that’s a fairly attractive option.

If not, I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

Hard to sell a quality 2019 kid on “yeah you probably won’t have much of a chance to see the field for three years. But, listen, it might only be two years!”
Didn't bother the kid at Clemson.

And we will still be recruiting a QB in the next couple classes just to make sure you have less of a chance to see the field.

And we will still be recruiting a QB in the next couple classes just to make sure you have less of a chance to see the field.
We managed to recruit QBs while Clayton has been the guy and we've had plenty of QBs in the past that didn't see the field until the sophomore or junior season.

We managed to recruit QBs while Clayton has been the guy and we've had plenty of QBs in the past that didn't see the field until the sophomore or junior season.

... and were very worried about the quality of QB play post-Thorson until Johnson hopped on board...

They try to get a QB in every class. But because of CT taking over the spot, top 4 star recruits were less likely to find the opportunity to their liking for a couple of those years. Still important to get a QB in the class for NU (as we have seen what happens when we do not) but likely guys for the position coming would be guys with more MAC level offers that top tier P5 recruits. Class of 2018, was the first one where a kid had the opportunity to RS and then have a shot as a RS Frosh. This year it would have been as a true Frosh so we had a better shot at a higher level of talent for these two years and why QB recruiting was so important and the Cale decomitment left us scrambling. With Hunter in the fold, it would look like if we brought in another QB commitment it would be likely to be a lower level guy or one that might switch positions. Even so, that might be hard to justify because we would have so many QBs on scholarship next year plus Green .

They try to get a QB in every class. But because of CT taking over the spot, top 4 star recruits were less likely to find the opportunity to their liking for a couple of those years. Still important to get a QB in the class for NU (as we have seen what happens when we do not) but likely guys for the position coming would be guys with more MAC level offers that top tier P5 recruits. Class of 2018, was the first one where a kid had the opportunity to RS and then have a shot as a RS Frosh. This year it would have been as a true Frosh so we had a better shot at a higher level of talent for these two years and why QB recruiting was so important and the Cale decomitment left us scrambling. With Hunter in the fold, it would look like if we brought in another QB commitment it would be likely to be a lower level guy or one that might switch positions. Even so, that might be hard to justify because we would have so many QBs on scholarship next year plus Green .

I guess, but it's not like Cale was higher rated than any of the previous QB recruits on the roster except for Marty maybe. Whittaker was a first choice guy and Smith was decently highly rated. The only reason we got Marty is because we were left in the cold when Deuce Wallace, a high 3 star, decommitted. And it's not like the staff was taking in 4 star QBs before Thorson.

I just don't see hunter johnsons choice as a valid excuse not to get a QB this class at a similar level to the ones we've gotten in the past.

I guess, but it's not like Cale was higher rated than any of the previous QB recruits on the roster except for Marty maybe. Whittaker was a first choice guy and Smith was decently highly rated. The only reason we got Marty is because we were left in the cold when Deuce Wallace, a high 3 star, decommitted. And it's not like the staff was taking in 4 star QBs before Thorson.

Cale was a much better QB prospect than anyone on our roster not named Thorson. His tape was very good.

I just don't see hunter johnsons choice as a valid excuse not to get a QB this class at a similar level to the ones we've gotten in the past.

That's kind of the point. We need to get higher-level guys than we have gotten in the past, which will/would be difficult without a clear path to playing time over the next three seasons (two if Johnson leaves early).

Sorry but while another QB in the class might be nice, With HJ here, as late as it is in the QB recruiting derby. and with the other guys we will have here, it is less likely we can get a high level QB recruit in this years class. Without HJ, a QB recruit was an absolute necessity and easy to sell opportunity. But with HJ in the fold, it becomes more of a luxury and harder to sell opportunity. Best you are likely to get is a mid range talent and I would not be opposed but I would not be surprised to see us not bring in anyone else. Also, how many scholarships do you devote to the position? And with several other needs and an open scholarship taken for the QB spot so we are effectively at 14 in the class, which of our other needs do you not fill? OT, RB, LB, DB, DT or WR? Next year it is an easier sell and again becomes necessary to bring one in and the following year much easier sell to top talent as they will be closer to having an opportunity

If you watch Millen's tape, you'd see that he's a much, much better prospect than Smith or Marty

If you watch Millen's tape, you'd see that he's a much, much better prospect than Smith or Marty
And we were originally able to get him to commit because of the opportunity we had. With HJ on board Millen would likely not even considered us. That is likely the same situation we would now have approaching other top QBs this year

I'm not a football scout so can't say definitively which QB has the "best" tape. It just seems odd that coaches around the country with access to this tape didn't offer Cale and he's still rated in the ballpark of the QBs currently on the roster yet he's considered to be an elite prospect on this board.

And FWIW I was a pretty big fan of Marty's tape. Seemed to me he was underrecruited due to his injury.

If Davis Beville commits, that’s great. After all, he could very conceivably start as a redshirt sophomore, if Hunter Johnson goes the NFL route after his redshirt junior season. Given his offer list right now, that’s a fairly attractive option.

If not, I’m not going to lose sleep over it.

He's a great prospect, but I'll wait until I've seen him play a few games at NU before I worry about the NFL.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
I'm not a football scout so can't say definitively which QB has the "best" tape. It just seems odd that coaches around the country with access to this tape didn't offer Cale and he's still rated in the ballpark of the QBs currently on the roster yet he's considered to be an elite prospect on this board.

And FWIW I was a pretty big fan of Marty's tape. Seemed to me he was underrecruited due to his injury.

Ratings are dumb. Tape don’t lie and he drew multiple PAC12 offers after committing.

I was genuinely excited when Millen committed. I’m even more excited now that we have Johnson.

Reactions: Gladeskat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT