ADVERTISEMENT

Ga Tech lost to Grambling on Friday

it was an awful loss for us. they will not be good.

I'm not convinced we are either. We've got talent, to be sure. But we lost about 75% of our toughness when Sanjay graduated. This team is not picking up where it left off. It cannot. Instead it's in search of an identity, smack dab in the middle of conference play. They can turn it around -- I certainly believe they can -- but they've got to grow quickly. Hopefully the Purdue game helped.

I'm not convinced we are either. We've got talent, to be sure. But we lost about 75% of our toughness when Sanjay graduated. This team is not picking up where it left off. It cannot. Instead it's in search of an identity, smack dab in the middle of conference play. They can turn it around -- I certainly believe they can -- but they've got to grow quickly. Hopefully the Purdue game helped.
Well, they did beat Illinois when last year's team couldn't.

Hopefully the Purdue game helped.
No doubt the Purdue game helped. If they play to their "Par" they should win 10-11 B1G games in a tougher conference top to bottom. But their poor OOC record will make a Tournament bid tough unless they get 1 quality win against a good OU team in Norman-not an easy task by any means. There really aren't any other quality OOC teams left even if runs the table otherwise....Valpo being probably the best of that lot.

No doubt the Purdue game helped. If they play to their "Par" they should win 10-11 B1G games in a tougher conference top to bottom. But their poor OOC record will make a Tournament bid tough unless they get 1 quality win against a good OU team in Norman-not an easy task by any means. There really aren't any other quality OOC teams left even if runs the table otherwise....Valpo being probably the best of that lot.

if the cats win out OOC and get 11 wins i think they would be in.

they would have 3 of 4 losses to good tournament teams and a buzzer beater loss

They lost to Wofford tonight.

Will be a very bad loss for NU as far as tournament consideration is concerned.....

They lost to Wofford tonight.

Will be a very bad loss for NU as far as tournament consideration is concerned.....

They are apparently dealing with a ton of injuries right now, which might explain the loss to Wofford (on the other hand, the loss to Grambling is inexplicable on any level) . Still think they're a good team if healthy, given the fact that they only lost to UCLA by 3 and Tennessee by 7. They actually looked like they had more talent vs us than the Illini had...

The hyperbole runs thick on this board of late.
Sorry I'm not intending to hyperbolize. That was a bad GT team we played and subsequent results have proven that out. We played brutal, unfocused offensive basketball for 35 minutes, played about 4:53 good minutes, and had an inexcusable defensive lapse in communication for the final 7 seconds.
Most of our teams the last decade have at least been at the level of NIT consideration. Many of them have had strong senior leadership. It would have been a bad loss for most of them.
Any was probably the wrong word. There were a few teams in Collins' early years that were just young. But for maybe 4 of Carmody's last 5 teams and now 3 of Collins' first 5, that would have been a bad loss.
So I'll say for 7 out of our last 10 teams, losing to a GT squad that was missing its best player was a brutal loss.
Not to mention ....... they lost to Grambling, they lost to Wright State, they almost lost to Bethune-Cookman ......... they may not win 10 games this year.

Last edited:
Reactions: NUCat320 and NJCat
Sorry I'm not intending to hyperbolize. That was a bad GT team we played and subsequent results have proven that out. We played brutal, unfocused offensive basketball for 35 minutes, played about 4:53 good minutes, and had an inexcusable defensive lapse in communication for the final 7 seconds.
Most of our teams the last decade have at least been at the level of NIT consideration. Many of them have had strong senior leadership. It would have been a bad loss for most of them.
Any was probably the wrong word. There were a few teams in Collins' early years that were just young. But for maybe 4 of Carmody's last 5 teams and now 3 of Collins' first 5, that would have been a bad loss.
So I'll say for 7 out of our last 10 teams, losing to a GT squad that was missing its best player was a brutal loss.

Teams can have good games and bad games. We were not playing well when we lost to GT, and GT was playing quite well at the time. If I recall, they were ranked close to us in KenPom, but we were not a significant favorite. Don't know what happened to them subsequently, but they were playing well at the time. If they played us like they played Grambling. no doubt we win.

Indiana was thumped at homre by both Ft. Wayne and Indiana State this year. Now THOSE are bad losses that would have been bad for any Indiana state team for the last 10 years. Ours was not.

We'll disagree that GT was playing quite well at the time. Also -- I didn't say it was an inexplicable loss, I said it was a bad one. It most certainly was.

And yes -- IU losing back to back years to IPFW ---- that's a higher level of bad.

Reactions: NJCat
We'll disagree that GT was playing quite well at the time. Also -- I didn't say it was an inexplicable loss, I said it was a bad one. It most certainly was.

And yes -- IU losing back to back years to IPFW ---- that's a higher level of bad.
Did you see GT play UCLA? I did. Lammers, in particular, was a load, and I truly thought we would lose the way we were playing and the way GT was playing. Was actually surprised we had the lead late.

Did you see GT play UCLA? I did. Lammers, in particular, was a load, and I truly thought we would lose the way we were playing and the way GT was playing. Was actually surprised we had the lead late.

The UCLA game 3 weeks before ours, where three of their guys were rotting away in prison, only to have their lives spared by Sir Excellency, Donald Trump (you wanted hyperbole, right)? Or the Bethune-Cookman game they were lucky to win a week before ours?

A team with that many freshman seeing significant minutes vs. our experienced group -- yes, that's a bad loss.

Anyway, I think I'm about to chalk this one up in the agree to disagree category. I always appreciate your insight Mikewebb, even when we disagree. Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you.

The UCLA game 3 weeks before ours, where three of their guys were rotting away in prison, only to have their lives spared by Sir Excellency, Donald Trump (you wanted hyperbole, right)? Or the Bethune-Cookman game they were lucky to win a week before ours?

A team with that many freshman seeing significant minutes vs. our experienced group -- yes, that's a bad loss.

Anyway, I think I'm about to chalk this one up in the agree to disagree category. I always appreciate your insight Mikewebb, even when we disagree. Merry Christmas / Happy Holidays to you.

You do realize those same three players were absent when UCLA just beat Kentucky, correct? At any rate, thanks for the compliment, and Merry Christmas to you as well!

Tech is losing to Coppin State by 5 with 11:00 left.

Coppin is 0-13.

Not anymore, up by 14 with under a minute left now. But clearly something has happened to this team since their early-season performances and it is not good, as they have plummeted from the 50s in KenPom when we played them to 130. To put it in perspective, Coppin is one place ahead of Chicago St. who we absolutely destroyed.

They are missing one starter, but doesn't seem to be injuries that is the cause. They were picked to finish 9/15 in the ACC so they are clearly playing below expectations at this point (only Pitt is ranked lower in KenPom from the ACC at present) after a good start.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT