ADVERTISEMENT

Game thread for NU vs. Iowa

That was a strategic technical. Collins knows the game is over and is sending internal and external messages.
Or maybe Collins is a hothead.

Remember when he ran on the court against Gonzaga 6 years ago? Did he learn nothing from that?

How can a kid like Patrick McCaffrey seem so nice and likable, while every other member or his family is a loud mouth idiot?
He’s a passive-aggressive upper Midwest jackass. Idiot, just a different flavor. lol.

Pretty below average second half offensive performance, TBH, but it wouldn't have mattered with the way Iowa was pouring it in. Move on to the next! Two more good opportunities to win coming up.

I can think of a few questionable calls against NU but what specifically did you see that was so egregious?
I can’t describe every bad call or every duality of criteria that went on. So many times it was just not calling it the same way on both ends. But the moment that sealed how their brains were not right was when they had no other option but to T up Franco. The next play they fabricate a ridiculous foul on his son. We were up and on the verge of opening to double digits. They were scared, they did not want to make waves. Refs react so much by not wanting to officiate a controversial game.

Not saying we’d have won. But it was charged tonight. Very charged

Couldn’t help but laugh at the obviously not biased Jess Settles throwing in a “this Iowa team is for real” near the end.

Yes, they’re a nice team that can light it up on some nights, but they’re just like past Iowa teams. Don’t play much defense, don’t have much toughness. Not built for March. They beat us tonight and earned it with a great shooting night, but they look like all the other Fran Iowa teams to me.

• Haha
Reactions: chaneccooms
I can’t describe every bad call or every duality of criteria that went on. So many times it was just not calling it the same way on both ends. But the moment that sealed how their brains were not right was when they had no other option but to T up Franco. The next play they fabricate a ridiculous foul on his son. They were scared, they did not want to make waves. Refs react so much by not wanting to officiate a controversial game.

The worst call was the one they called on Nicholson for...existing in the lane? when Buie drove for the layup.

I can’t describe every bad call or every duality of criteria that went on. So many times it was just not calling it the same way on both ends. But the moment that sealed how their brains were not right was when they had no other option but to T up Franco. The next play they fabricate a ridiculous foul on his son. We were up and on the verge of opening to double digits. They were scared, they did not want to make waves. Refs react so much by not wanting to officiate a controversial game.

Ok. I thought there were very questionable calls on both ends — and definitely some “make up calls” — but I’ve seen much worse called against NU.

As Cappy said above, worst was the one where Matt sealed the edge for Boo and they called a foul.

That’s very well put.
Like, I'm more appalled at the complete lack of preparation from the PBP guy not knowing how to pronounce 25% of our players' names to go along with the former Iowa player color guy questioning any call that went against Iowa than I am at our team falling apart down the stretch.

• Angry
Reactions: drewjin
Like, I get that the Chris Street thing is a tragedy, but did we really need to have the entire game be an Iowa lovefest?
I think Settles being on the call was a part of that too. And I do understand what you are saying…

I’ll say this though. The Chris Street story and who he was is a big deal here in Iowa. It’s a tragic, but important, part of their history and something that means a lot to their fanbase. One of those things that is a bigger deal here than most people that don’t live here realize (I didn’t move to Iowa until 2010).

Just adding a little bit of context.

The worst call was the one they called on Nicholson for...existing in the lane? when Buie drove for the layup.
I actually didn’t think the officiating was that bad overall, but the call you mention here was ridiculous.

Ok. I thought there were very questionable calls on both ends — and definitely some “make up calls” — but I’ve seen much worse called against NU.

As Cappy said above, worst was the one where Matt sealed the edge for Boo and they called a foul.
Yeah man I am not saying we’d have won. But it subtly influences the game a lot. There were moments in the 2nd half I could swear I was seeing Rutgers defending us in the half court. It felt suffocating. Was it our ineptitude? Or was it the IA guys knowing exactly what contact off screens and on penetration they could get away with? A bit of both?

Had we been more concentrated on transition defense we could have been up at the half by close to double digits. Different game. That’s on us.

It was not our night. We move on, that’s what solid teams do. Losing at IA is not abnormal. Unless you are Western Illinois. Or was it Eastern. Whatever. My butt hurts

• Love
I actually didn’t think the officiating was that bad overall, but the call you mention here was ridiculous.
They gave it right back to NU on the next possession, with Chase taking a spill that definitely did not need to be foul.

Oh well, NU was due for a loss. Thursday and Sunday are both huge.

Iowa easily the most skilled offense in B1G
Yeah, I tend to agree.

When their 3 point shots aren’t falling, there’s a noticeable difference, but they usually don’t go cold for too long. An excellent offensive group.

The Hawkeyes defense can be pretty solid at times too, but it’s not always consistent. We saw a little bit of both tonight.

Reactions: chaneccooms
Meh, Iowa won the game at home with the crowd and the refs helping out, but they've gotten spanked enough this year to know they're just another middle of the pack team. We get another shot at them.

Almost seemed inevitable that they'd light us up from 3 tonight.
They pass well and make open shots.

Our defenders constantly leave their man to double the ball.

Iowa looked well coached and basically shredded us in the 2nd half.

Our offense took a nosedive in the 2nd half which really snowballed things. Shooting 4-17 from 3 won't win you many games on the road in the BIG, or anywhere for that matter.

Almost seemed inevitable that they'd light us up from 3 tonight.
They pass well and make open shots.

Our defenders constantly leave their man to double the ball.

Iowa looked well coached and basically shredded us in the 2nd half.
We were up by 1 with 10:30 to go and were outscored 31-14 the rest of the way.

Some of the 3's were just plain not defending the screens properly.

That sounds a lot more like an offense problem than a defense problem, a bit of both obviously, but 14 points in ten minutes?

That sounds a lot more like an offense problem than a defense problem, a bit of both obviously, but 14 points in ten minutes?
Not to split hairs, but 20 would have been a good 10 minute stretch. That's a 80 pt pace for the game. And had we scored 20 we would have still lost by 10.

Or maybe Collins is a hothead.

Remember when he ran on the court against Gonzaga 6 years ago? Did he learn nothing from that?
One incident in 6 years makes him a hothead?

CCC rarely gets T'd up. This is the first one I can recall since the Gonzaga fiasco, where his reaction was justified given the circumstances.

One incident in 6 years makes him a hothead?

CCC rarely gets T'd up. This is the first one I can recall since the Gonzaga fiasco, where his reaction was justified given the circumstances.
In both times, they hurt our chances to win.

If this becomes a rallying point for the team then so be it.

But we’re 0-2 in crucial games where CCC gets T’ed up.

Hopefully we don’t go 0-3 during his time in Evanston…

Come on, you don't need to troll basketball too. The game was already lost by the time CC got T'd up.

Good grief.

You are not stupid. I know that.

But this analysis sucks. It's worse than the New York Times.

Reactions: GatoLouco
Come on, you don't need to troll basketball too. The game was already lost by the time CC got T'd up.
I troll nothing, sir. I speaketh the Truth.

I can see why one would get confused… both are nouns that with the same two syllables.

While I like to see CCC showing some fire… I’d rather have a Sweet 16 appearance.

Just wait until my magnum opus on the fallacy of 10 year contracts in anything - doesn’t matter if you’re the CEO of NUFB, or the CEO of J&J. I’ll post it on the Rock, maybe a day or two after tomorrow, and will fully unload.

• Wow
Reactions: PurpleWhiteBoy
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT