ADVERTISEMENT

Gameday with Small Children: Clear Bag Policy - How Strict with Food Items?

FrancisSearle75

Gold Member
Nov 10, 2010
Lincoln Park
I was reviewing NU's clear bag policy today and was wondering how strict they were about bringing food items to the stadium (e.g. snacks, sippy cups, etc).

I've got a four year old and a two year old with severe food allergies. We usually bring snacks for them, tucked away in a diaper bag. However now that there is a clear bag policy, everyone can see the snacks that we're bringing in.

I was reviewing NU's clear bag policy today and was wondering how strict they were about bringing food items to the stadium (e.g. snacks, sippy cups, etc).

I've got a four year old and a two year old with severe food allergies. We usually bring snacks for them, tucked away in a diaper bag. However now that there is a clear bag policy, everyone can see the snacks that we're bringing in.

I know nothing in particular about small children's items but last week (in my once-a-year attendance) I carried in a clear plastic bag that was given the most cursory examination. The impression was that they were looking for items such as weapons, alcohol, etc. and otherwise exercising common sense.

Of course the fact that I'm closer in age to the century mark than you probably are might have had something to do with it. The staff was perhaps more concerned with whether I'd be able to walk away from the stadium instead of being carried out. They appeared positively solicitous to me. (Old age is a racket.)

Reactions: FrancisSearle75

Do not put the kids in the clear plastic bags

Reactions: Fitz51

Made me pitch a water.

With our 14 month old in tow and all her gear, we put all her stuff into clear gallon bags inside the clear NU totes from Let'sTailgate. Had no issues.

I've got a 5-year old and a 2-year old with food allergies and brought both to the WMU game along with their epi-pens and foods. You just need to enter the service entrances (R on West or E on East). You don't need documentation from a doctor, but it doesn't hurt to speed things along. We brought a copy of the allergy plan. I just put everything in several clear 12x12x6 bags. It was pretty quick and easy getting in.

Those 2 service gates actually seem to be much faster than normal gates, so what I expected to be a pain in the ass actually became a fast-track into the stadium...

EDIT: I didn't explicitly state it, but bringing in special foods for kids with allergies is fine. I'm pretty sure you can get foods in for any young children (by saying stadium food is terrible for kids), but the pretense of food allergies or a health issue helps.

Of course, the way to give your young children long term health problems is to routinely feed them Ryan Field pretzels and hot dogs.

Last edited:
Reactions: FrancisSearle75
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT