ADVERTISEMENT

Garnett Hollis draft prospects

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
Watching him this year, he was pretty close to lockdown. I don't have the detailed stats in front of me (not sure if anyone has the PF Focus numbers or something) but it seemed opposing QBs were largely avoiding him the second half of the season and didn't have much success when they did target him. On top of that, he was very good in run support - in particular his game against Utah jumped out.

From googling though I don't see much reporting on his potential draft status. I think that might be bc he wasn't on many folks' radar before the season started and the NFL draft reporting cycle for 2024 hasn't really picked up yet. But to my untrained eye, I would think he'd be a mid-round pick with some upside from there depending on testing numbers. He has at least one more year of eligibility if he wants it I believe and could improve that projection, but depending on where he stacks up could see him going pro. Curious on thoughts from others?

Similar question for Coco Azema, though his injury complicates the evaluation process which could hurt him. And while he was a great Safety for us, he doesn't jump out to me as much as an NFL prospect as Hollis.

Rick

Watching him this year, he was pretty close to lockdown. I don't have the detailed stats in front of me (not sure if anyone has the PF Focus numbers or something) but it seemed opposing QBs were largely avoiding him the second half of the season and didn't have much success when they did target him. On top of that, he was very good in run support - in particular his game against Utah jumped out.

From googling though I don't see much reporting on his potential draft status. I think that might be bc he wasn't on many folks' radar before the season started and the NFL draft reporting cycle for 2024 hasn't really picked up yet. But to my untrained eye, I would think he'd be a mid-round pick with some upside from there depending on testing numbers. He has at least one more year of eligibility if he wants it I believe and could improve that projection, but depending on where he stacks up could see him going pro. Curious on thoughts from others?

Similar question for Coco Azema, though his injury complicates the evaluation process which could hurt him. And while he was a great Safety for us, he doesn't jump out to me as much as an NFL prospect as Hollis.

Rick

Definitely has the size and length, not entirely sure about speed/burst. Testing will be big for him.

Rick
To my eye, he is not even the best CB on NU. I think Johnson is the better cover CB and the better pro prospect although I am not sure either is draftable.

To my eye, he is not even the best CB on NU. I think Johnson is the better cover CB and the better pro prospect although I am not sure either is draftable.
Interesting. Based on my watching I do not agree with you, at least as of today. Although Johnson was clearly improving over the course of the season so he could get there in time.

Rick
I think Coco is the best player on the team. D really dropped after his injury. 300 rushing yards PU, 40 plus points IL. Heck, even WI woke up after he left.

D looked good in the bowl tho

I think Coco is the best player on the team. D really dropped after his injury. 300 rushing yards PU, 40 plus points IL. Heck, even WI woke up after he left.

D looked good in the bowl tho
I agree there was an initial drop-off when Coco went out, but I think Jaheem Joseph really developed into the 2nd safety role nicely. Against Utah he largely played FS of a sort (don't think that's really our scheme but that's what we did in practice) and did an awesome job back in CF. This freed Turner up to repeatedly fly downhill to the ball and make big plays in run support. It def helped that we weren't particularly scared of their QB or WRs beating our CBs on the outside. Came together for an excellent overall defensive performance. That won't work against every team, but against a lot of the legacy B1G West run-heavy schools it's a decent template. Especially if the DL can play like they did against Utah - granted we were helped by them having a couple of OL out.

Utah's biggest gainers were a couple of screen plays and drag/out route to the TE where he barely hauled it in against decent coverage then had nice RAC. They didn't really complete anything of note against our CBs.

Reactions: DaCat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT