ADVERTISEMENT

Gates is gone

Who is going to be the next assistant?

I’m trying to confirm it. It was initially reported by Joe Henricksen of the Sun-Times, and these things usually turn out to be true.

I’m trying to confirm it. It was initially reported by Joe Henricksen of the Sun-Times, and these things usually turn out to be true.

Another sign that Collins has a lot of work to do with this program. I know that many were sold on Collins early on but the jury is still out in my mind. The Vassar episode was disturbing and I have been skeptical of Collins’ leadership since that point. The Brown transfer and now an assistant departure indicate that all is not well with the program.

I just confirmed that it is true. Florida just put out a press release. Tough loss for NU.

Another sign that Collins has a lot of work to do with this program. I know that many were sold on Collins early on but the jury is still out in my mind. The Vassar episode was disturbing and I have been skeptical of Collins’ leadership since that point. The Brown transfer and now an assistant departure indicate that all is not well with the program.

An assistant departure could be the exact opposite.

We all felt encouraged that Milwaukee hired one of our assistants as head coach last year. Now another assistant is becoming an associate HC at what's probably the second best program in its conference. Hell, most of this board took the news that Fitz finally had an assistant poached this offseason as a sign that we were more desirable.

We have no idea what the circumstances are, but this looks at first blush like a simple promotion for Gates, though a loss for us.

We all felt encouraged that Milwaukee hired one of our assistants as head coach last year. Now another assistant is becoming an associate HC at what's probably the second best program in its conference. Hell, most of this board took the news that Fitz finally had an assistant poached this offseason as a sign that we were more desirable.

We have no idea what the circumstances are, but this looks at first blush like a simple promotion for Gates, though a loss for us.

Could be but I have some doubts and concerns.

Exactly. The guy got a promotion to a bigger program, and I'm sure a hefty raise. I don't think that indicates something is amiss. When Billy Donlan left Michigan to come to Northwestern, did that indicate something was wrong with Beilein's program?

Exactly. The guy got a promotion to a bigger program, and I'm sure a hefty raise. I don't think that indicates something is amiss. When Billy Donlan left Michigan to come to Northwestern, did that indicate something was wrong with Beilein's program?

It indicated Collins wanted his buddy on his staff.

You mean like Fitz adding Lou, Tim and Jeff to the staff this offseason.

I don’t see the analogy. Collins and Donlan have been friends since HS. Besides, the Donlan move has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. I really don’t like how the Vassar situation was handled and I detected some similar patterns with the Brown situation. Then you have the Rap transfer and now Gates leaving. It’s just not a good sign when players and coaches chose to go elsewhere. I am not saying the program is in free fall but I also don’t think these departures happen at programs where everything is heading in the right direction.

Last edited:
I don’t see the analogy. Collins and Donlan have been friends since HS. Besides, the Donlan move has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. I really don’t like how the Vassar situation was handled and I detected some similar patterns with the Brown situation. Then you have the Rap transfer and now Gates leaving. It’s just not a good sign when players and coaches choose to go elsewhere. I am not saying the program is in free fall but I also don’t think these departures happen at programs where everything is heading in the right direction.
In a trollong mood today? Assistant coach departures almost always happen at programs that are headed in the tight direction...

I am sure we will never hear both sides of the Vassar situation. I’ll give you that it is not a good look based on what we have heard. I think you are overreacting to the transfers. I believe we have a record number of basketball transfers this year. Certainly, a trend to more transfers. As NU recruits higher rated players, it is likely some of those higher rated recruits will not pan out and see the playing time they expect to see. These players likely have a high level of confidence and a transfer to a school where they can play makes sense in some situations.

Gates is getting a promotion to a school that has won a Natty. Why would this be alarming? I haven’t heard any friction or rumors that he was run off.

Reactions: willycat
I agree with Lou V wholeheartedly. Gates got a promotion as associate head coach and probably a big pay raise. Too funny that some negative nellies draw a connection between the players who left the program all for differing reasons and one of our assistant coaches being promoted and getting a pay raise to go to another Power 5 school. Congrats to Coach Gates!

No nexus or logical connection there between the players leaving and an assistant coach leaving. All Power 5 schools go through changes on their rosters and coaching staffs every season. Too bad some on this board lack the perspective to be aware of this fact.

We need to hit a home run with our next assistant. It will be interesting to see who we get. We need to keep our recruiting momentum. I am curious to hear what scuttlebutt Lou is hearing

1) Well, not knowing anything about anything, I'd assume Collins needs somebody with city ties if he wants to keep that not-quite-accomplished (but I don't blame him) narrative that this needs to be a "Chicago team."

2) If I'm Collins, I wonder if I poach Mike Mullins from Loyola. Maybe not enough big conference experience? But he does give you that local knowledge as well as the good connection to the Illinois Wolves.

OTOH, that local presence needs more of a city concentration with this staff, rather than the Central Suburban League all-star team.

3) From afar, it sure seems like Chris Lauten has been a good soldier for a while now. He seems as engaged as anyone on that bench. Don't know anything about him behind the scenes.

4) Forget about Mullins for a moment. I wonder if the Loyola thing increases the pressure for a local need in these discussions.

In a trollong mood today? Assistant coach departures almost always happen at programs that are headed in the tight direction...

I don’t troll. I’ve been uncomfortable with the things that came out about Vassar and from where I sit, it sure looks like Collins drove Brown out because the kid fell out of favor for some reason. These are things you hear about other programs, not NU. This is exactly the type of behavior you don’t see from FItz and see from guys that I think are unethical like Harbaugh. Perhaps these are isolated incidents but I have some concerns and chose to express them on this board. Is that not allowed?

I don’t see the analogy. Collins and Donlan have been friends since HS. Besides, the Donlan move has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. I really don’t like how the Vassar situation was handled and I detected some similar patterns with the Brown situation. Then you have the Rap transfer and now Gates leaving. It’s just not a good sign when players and coaches choose to go elsewhere. I am not saying the program is in free fall but I also don’t think these departures happen at programs where everything is heading in the right direction.
You don’t know how the Vassar situation was handled. You know side that is heavenly biased from a source that’s had it out for Collins since day one.

You don’t know how the Vassar situation was handled. You know side that is heavenly biased from a source that’s had it out for Collins since day one.

You are right that none of us know the whole story but I do know what was alleged in the lawsuit and it is not a pretty picture. I don’t buy the bias arguement. That’s the kind of stuff people say when they have no other excuse. There is no logical reason I have heard for anybody to have it out for Collins.

1) Well, not knowing anything about anything, I'd assume Collins needs somebody with city ties if he wants to keep that not-quite-accomplished (but I don't blame him) narrative that this needs to be a "Chicago team."

2) If I'm Collins, I wonder if I poach Mike Mullins from Loyola. Maybe not enough big conference experience? But he does give you that local knowledge as well as the good connection to the Illinois Wolves.

OTOH, that local presence needs more of a city concentration with this staff, rather than the Central Suburban League all-star team.

3) From afar, it sure seems like Chris Lauten has been a good soldier for a while now. He seems as engaged as anyone on that bench. Don't know anything about him behind the scenes.

4) Forget about Mullins for a moment. I wonder if the Loyola thing increases the pressure for a local need in these discussions.

One correction...Bryan Mullins is the young coach at Loyola. His Dad is Mike, and runs the Illinois Wolves. His older brother Brendan is actually an assistant at Illinois State as well.

I grew up down the street from the Mullins’ and used to play basketball in their backyard all the time. When I was 12 and Bryan was about 6, I was way better than him ;). That didn’t last long.

Just my opinion but one should never put too much stock in the accuracy of allegations in a plaintiff’s complaint and that certainly includes some discuussed here. Plaintiffs’ lawyers make all kinds of assertions in complaints that often have no basis in fact (sometimes because of what their clients tell whether true or not) or take some isolated point totally out of context and then spin claims around that. They do this for reasons including for publicity (what’s put in a court complaint is generally privileged despite the accuracy or lack thereof) and what they hope may be leverage/pressure to induce settlement discussions irrespective of the actual merits of a claim. I would have more faith in the program and the coaching staff.

Reactions: willycat
I don’t see the analogy. Collins and Donlan have been friends since HS. Besides, the Donlan move has nothing to do with the point I was trying to make. I really don’t like how the Vassar situation was handled and I detected some similar patterns with the Brown situation. Then you have the Rap transfer and now Gates leaving. It’s just not a good sign when players and coaches chose to go elsewhere. I am not saying the program is in free fall but I also don’t think these departures happen at programs where everything is heading in the right direction.

It's actually a great sign when players who aren't getting any playing time are leaving the program. That's what happens at real programs. It also clears up scholarships so that we can maybe get kids who can contribute more. I'd be worried if our starters were leaving.

Gates leaving is a loss, but it isn't exactly a parallel move. With Brian James on the staff, really hard to give the guy the same title/designation that he's getting at UF. It's generally a great sign when power programs in other Power 5 conferences are trying to poach your assistants.

Does Duke have players that leave the program every year? Not even talking about the one and dones, but transfers from the players at the end of the bench? Check. Does Duke have assistants moving on with promotions? Check.

Sheesh.

Last edited:
Who knows,maybe we get Drew Crawford.

It's actually a great sign when players who aren't getting any playing time are leaving the program. That's what happens at real programs. It also clears up scholarships so that we can maybe get kids who can contribute more. I'd be worried if our starters were leaving.

Gates leaving is a loss, but it isn't exactly a parallel move. With Brian James on the staff, really hard to give the guy the same title/designation that he's getting at UF. It's generally a great sign when power programs in other Power 5 conferences are trying to poach your assistants.

Does Duke have players that leave the program every year? Not even talking about the one and dones, but transfers from the players at the end of the bench? Check. Does Duke have assistants moving on with promotions? Check.

Sheesh.

It’s already pretty obvious that you and I have a very different definition of what a “real program” is. If being a “real” program means jerking kids around any time you realize you’ve made a recruiting mistake or whenever you need an extra scholarship to bring in a player that you think is better, then you can keep your “real” program because I want no part of it. That’s not how FItz runs our football program and that is a big reason why I am a FItz fan.

I will reiterate, there is not enough evidence to conclusively say that is what is going on with Collins, but it sure seems like there are signs to that effect that concern me. I hope i am wrong because it would be a bad thing for NU.

Reactions: Dugan15
It’s already pretty obvious that you and I have a very different definition of what a “real program” is. If being a “real” program means jerking kids around any time you realize you’ve made a recruiting mistake or whenever you need an extra scholarship to bring in a player that you think is better, then you can keep your “real” program because I want no part of it. That’s not how FItz runs our football program and that is a big reason why I am a FItz fan.

I will reiterate, there is not enough evidence to conclusively say that is what is going on with Collins, but it sure seems like there are signs to that effect that concern me. I hope i am wrong because it would be a bad thing for NU.
I'm with you on the Vassar issue. If even half of what was in the suit is true, it is an embarrassment to the University and Collins should be reprimanded.

However, the rest? Brown clearly regressed this year, his play was really poor and his (?) decision to transfer makes sense. Rap was hurt for 2 seasons and again, a transfer makes sense. Two assistants leaving for promotions? Just what you want, guys getting recognized for their talent and poached by other schools.

We see the same "facts" and reach different conclusions. Time will tell if the Collins program is what NU is looking for. One data point, Phillips extended the Collins contract which must have required Morty and Board of Trustee approval, given the magnitude of the financial and reputational commitment, despite the Vassar suit. So those much closer to the program that us message board goofs must think he is the right guy. Again, only time will tell.

Reactions: IGNORE2
This seems like an appropriate thread to ask whether Ivanauskas is transferring of his own accord, or whether he was pushed out.

So, Was he pushed out?

I think he was given an ultimatum: Keep your scholarship and take a medical retirement, or transfer and try to play elsewhere.

Reactions: IGNORE2
Just my opinion but one should never put too much stock in the accuracy of allegations in a plaintiff’s complaint and that certainly includes some discuussed here. Plaintiffs’ lawyers make all kinds of assertions in complaints that often have no basis in fact (sometimes because of what their clients tell whether true or not) or take some isolated point totally out of context and then spin claims around that. They do this for reasons including for publicity (what’s put in a court complaint is generally privileged despite the accuracy or lack thereof) and what they hope may be leverage/pressure to induce settlement discussions irrespective of the actual merits of a claim. I would have more faith in the program and the coaching staff.

Right, posters and student writers have accepted whole cloth what was written in a complaint conceived to help get class status.

The student was used as a tool and will never see a cent.

Posters here and elsewhere, and student journalists were eager to accept a story that fit their narrative that Collins is a bad guy and undeserving.

I don't think the player is to blame. Nor the coach. (Yes, I don't think "you suck" is cruel and unusual punishment. Might make the coach a dick. Might not.) I do think the sports admin department has a couple accusations they need to credibly defend.

This seems like an appropriate thread to ask whether Ivanauskas is transferring of his own accord, or whether he was pushed out.

So, Was he pushed out?

I think he was given an ultimatum: Keep your scholarship and take a medical retirement, or transfer and try to play elsewhere.

I think Rap is a smart guy, as is Isaiah, and it was evident that playing time was not going to increase in the near future. If you're in their shoes, what would you do?

The good sign is that both guys had super positive attitudes towards the program - not a sign that they were pushed out.

I think Gates is primed to be a HC in 2-3 years, looks like a great professional move for him IMO

I understand this line of thought... but this departure does bother me a little. Being on the CC staff should have no less bearing on his path to a HC position, as seen by Pat Baldwin. If he left because of a significantly bigger payday, it is understandable although perhaps a bit short-sighted. If there were some issues with Chris... then that does bother me.

I'm just not sure how anyone can think that a promotion to a top SEC school that has won multiple national championships is in any way a black mark on our program. This is exactly what we should want to see out of our coaching staff, and is exactly what everyone has been bitching about regarding the football staff for years. Newsflash, we're not a top-10 destination program yet for coaches, so we should want our assistants to aspire to do exactly what Baldwin and Gates have done.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT