ADVERTISEMENT

Gavin Skelly wants to play football for NU

How about Benson also?
Skelly has used his eligibility for BB but he has 5 years after enrolling so he could still play FB. Of course he would have to enroll for another Quarter and would likely have to pay for it. We saw this with a TE that then played BB after he finished with FB. Benson still has eligibility for BB and I doubt since his scholarship is for BB that Collins would allow it

Skelly has used his eligibility for BB but he has 5 years after enrolling so he could still play FB. Of course he would have to enroll for another Quarter and would likely have to pay for it. We saw this with a TE that then played BB after he finished with FB. Benson still has eligibility for BB and I doubt since his scholarship is for BB that Collins would allow it
Likely true regarding Benson but just imagine a 6-11 receiver in the red zone.

Jimmy Graham 2.0
That’d be the ideal role for him, if this experiment even takes place and then works out. Split him out wide like Graham on 70-80% of plays, never expect him to block, and see if he can go get a jump ball on a fade route on 3rd and Long.

I’d compare him to a taller Skowronek, but #88 can actually block and is a proven commodity on the gridiron. Skelly has 4 inches and only 20 pounds on Bennett, but I bet his vertical jump is much higher. Power 5 college basketball requires more raw athleticism than football.

Paulus, the PG from Duke, played his 5th year as a QB for Syracuse a few years ago. It didn’t work out but sure was an interesting experiment. And the transition to WR / SB / TE is much easier than to QB.

Paulus beat the crap out of us. Kafka threw for almost 400 yards and we still got our ass beat.

Paulus, by lobbing the ball to Mike Williams for 11 catches 200+ yards and 2 TDs when McManis was hurt, beat the crap out of us. Kafka threw for almost 400 yards and we still got our ass beat by a game winning field goal in 2009.
I fixed it for you. Paulus went 3-8 the rest of that season and was particularly bad in their conference games. Any stiff with a decent arm and a WR like Mike Williams would have torn up McManis’s backup. He was wide open all day.

Last edited:
Paulus wasn't that great, but good enough to beat the crap out of our defense. Kafka' effort was heroic but he had to beat two defenses.

Paulus wasn't that great, but good enough to beat the crap out of our defense. Kafka' effort was heroic but he had to beat two defenses.
Kafka was incredible in the Dome - he also caught a touchdown pass from Brewer. For context: his leading rusher was Mr. Schmidt with 10 carries, 30 yards that game. Arby Fields was the second leading rusher due to his 25 yard run. Dan Persa was in third place with 8 yards.

Thank Goodness for JJTBC. It’s hard to believe how awful our running game was between Coach Walk’s slew of RBs and Justin Jackson.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
Oh how soon they forget....

Venric Mark, your table is ready.
He was great in 2012, but given his abrupt and strange departure he completely slipped my mind. All of our premier RBs had great three- or four-year runs at NU and are harder to forget.

H
He was great in 2012, but given his abrupt and strange departure he completely slipped my mind. All of our premier RBs had great three- or four-year runs at NU and are harder to forget.

Mark had an amazing 2012. But every word of your post is apt and true.

Reactions: CatManTrue
Tyrell Sutton, much?
Well, to be fair, Sutton was recruited by Walk so the OP was right about him. But he was terrific at NU.

And BTW, Tyrell is still the all time rusher in Ohio HS football history. For a state with as rich as football tradition as Ohio that's saying something!

Tyrell Sutton, Archbishop Hoban (2001-04) -- 9,426 yards
Not only is Sutton the state’s all-time leading rusher, he is third in career touchdowns, and did it with a 5-foot-8, 218-pound frame that took him to Northwestern. Sutton became a starter as a freshman and rushed for at least 100 yards in 38 consecutive games. He is later wound up becoming Big Ten freshman of the year and is Wildcats’ third-leading rusher in school history with 3,886 yards there. Sutton played in the NFL for Green Bay, Carolina and Seattle. He is now with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.

Also on that list, old fav Jordan Mabin:

Jordan Mabin, Nordonia (2003-06) -- 6,700 yards
While Mabin’s offensive prowess at Nordonia is why he is listed here, he went on to play cornerback at Northwestern and in the NFL. He has played with the Browns, Chargers, Ravens, Falcons and had two stints with the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/blog/index.ssf/2017/07/tyrell_sutton_to_raveion_hargr.html

That’d be the ideal role for him, if this experiment even takes place and then works out. Split him out wide like Graham on 70-80% of plays, never expect him to block, and see if he can go get a jump ball on a fade route on 3rd and Long.

I’d compare him to a taller Skowronek, but #88 can actually block and is a proven commodity on the gridiron. Skelly has 4 inches and only 20 pounds on Bennett, but I bet his vertical jump is much higher. Power 5 college basketball requires more raw athleticism than football.

Paulus, the PG from Duke, played his 5th year as a QB for Syracuse a few years ago. It didn’t work out but sure was an interesting experiment. And the transition to WR / SB / TE is much easier than to QB.
Sounds like Al "Abort" Goodwin

Oh how soon they forget....

Venric Mark, your table is ready.
Well, to be fair, Sutton was recruited by Walk so the OP was right about him. But he was terrific at NU.

And BTW, Tyrell is still the all time rusher in Ohio HS football history. For a state with as rich as football tradition as Ohio that's saying something!

Not only is Sutton the state’s all-time leading rusher, he is third in career touchdowns, and did it with a 5-foot-8, 218-pound frame that took him to Northwestern. Sutton became a starter as a freshman and rushed for at least 100 yards in 38 consecutive games. He is later wound up becoming Big Ten freshman of the year and is Wildcats’ third-leading rusher in school history with 3,886 yards there. Sutton played in the NFL for Green Bay, Carolina and Seattle. He is now with the Montreal Alouettes of the Canadian Football League.

While Mabin’s offensive prowess at Nordonia is why he is listed here, he went on to play cornerback at Northwestern and in the NFL. He has played with the Browns, Chargers, Ravens, Falcons and had two stints with the CFL’s Montreal Alouettes.

http://www.cleveland.com/hssports/blog/index.ssf/2017/07/tyrell_sutton_to_raveion_hargr.html
When was Sutton 218 lbs? Was he wearing a backpack?

Tyrell Sutton, much?
Per Fitzphile’s post: I absolutely classify Sutton as a Walker RB. He was recruited from Ohio under Walker and had his best season in 2005 - Walker’s last (RIP).
When was Sutton 218 lbs? Was he wearing a backpack?
Sutton was short but very thick - all of his power came from his lower body. I don’t doubt that he was 218 as a lot of his weight was located in his thighs, which were huge and helped him tremendously in the BIG 10.

We used to joke that all men secretly envied Randy Walker’s calves. Well that goes double for Tyrell Sutton’s thighs... he was an incredible running back. If he had stayed healthy, then it would have been his records that JJTBC shattered last year.

Last edited:
Sutton was short but very thick - all of his power came from his lower body. I don’t doubt that he was 218 as a lot of his weight was located in his thighs, which were huge and helped him tremendously in the BIG 10.

We used to joke that all men secretly envied Randy Walker’s calves. Well that goes double for Tyrell Sutton’s thighs... he was an incredible running back. If he had stayed healthy, then it would have been his records that JJTBC shattered last year.

1) Steamy.

2) Sutton was 5080 211 at the Combine: http://draftscout.com/ratings/dsprofile.php?pyid=56865&draftyear=2009&genpos=RB

Reactions: CatManTrue

Isn’t Trae Williams high on that list too?

Per Fitzphile’s post: I absolutely classify Sutton as a Walker RB. He was recruited from Ohio under Walker and had his best season in 2005 - Walker’s last (RIP).

When he came to NU, I think he was closer to 190. And the article indicated he took his 218lb HS frame to Evanston. He was nowhere near 218 when he came here.

Reactions: Gladeskat
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT