ADVERTISEMENT

Gayle Sayers Passed Away

klemman

Jan 31, 2002
Sayers was before my time, but I’m old enough to remember when he was often mentioned among the all time greats.

If we not for the injuries he would still be talked about today.

I was pretty young when I read "I am Third", which was Sayers' autobiography and the story of his friendship with Brian Piccolo.

It is amazing that a guy who played only 4 1/2 seasons had such an impact and was so respected for his abilities. He was just hitting his prime when he blew out his knee, and coming back from an ACL repair in 1968 is remarkable.

Here are some grainy highlights of Sayers

RIP Gale Sayers

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
He was a little before my time, but I got to see him play. He's like a supercharged Justin Jackson.

I remember seeing him on the sideline at the first Bears game I ever attended (71). He didn't get in as was attempting a comeback after another surgery. Just look at the highlights, he was amazing.

I was pretty young when I read "I am Third", which was Sayers' autobiography and the story of his friendship with Brian Piccolo.

It is amazing that a guy who played only 4 1/2 seasons had such an impact and was so respected for his abilities. He was just hitting his prime when he blew out his knee, and coming back from an ACL repair in 1968 is remarkable.

Here are some grainy highlights of Sayers

RIP Gale Sayers
Amazing player

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Different style of running than today. Long strider, smooth. Less emphasis on power. For my money the best pure runner of all time.

Reactions: Hungry Jack
Different style of running than today. Long strider, smooth. Less emphasis on power. For my money the best pure runner of all time.
Yep. The problem with Sayers’ running style was it exposed his planted leg to hits at the knee. Even so, did I love to watch him run!

Sayers was before my time, but I’m old enough to remember when he was often mentioned among the all time greats.

If we not for the injuries he would still be talked about today.
Heard that from my father. Watched him growing up and he was something special. That he was 77 shocked us and reinforced we are getting old

For many people he was likely better known for Brian's Song more than his actual playing. Didn't he score something like 7 tds in one game (OOPS, ONLY 6) against, I think it may have been 49ers. Dec 12, 1965. When I was growing up, only game we saw each week was Bears. Halas used him way to much which might have led to his injuries

Every time I saw him interviewed (post retirement), he always seemed angry. Maybe that was just his personality.

My dad took me to a game in 65 at Wrigley Field against the St. Louis Cardinals; he promptly fumbled the opening kick-off, the Cardinals scored and then they made the mistake of kicking off to him again--he took the ko back 95 yards and proceeded to score 4 times that day. The next summer I was able to get his autograph when the Bears had their training camp in Renseeler, Ind. along with Butkus', Ditka's and coach Allen's.
Cant find any of them! :(

I am old enough to have seen him play at his very best before he developed a lot of injuries. I have always insisted and still do that he is the greatest running back I have ever seen. He seem to have moves that I thought a human could not possibly make. If you can,Look at tapes of him in college and his early years in the pros.He was a very very special athlete.

Every time I saw him interviewed (post retirement), he always seemed angry. Maybe that was just his personality.
I only heard him occasionally on WSCR, but I never got that vibe (Obradovich, on the other hand...)

Reports are that he was afflicted by dementia. When dementia progresses, it can render a seemingly docile person into an aggressor. I doubt Sayers was making public appearances at a time where this issue might have been affecting him, however.

My dad took me to a game in 65 at Wrigley Field against the St. Louis Cardinals; he promptly fumbled the opening kick-off, the Cardinals scored and then they made the mistake of kicking off to him again--he took the ko back 95 yards and proceeded to score 4 times that day. The next summer I was able to get his autograph when the Bears had their training camp in Renseeler, Ind. along with Butkus', Ditka's and coach Allen's.
Cant find any of them! :(
Does anyone know the name of the an for the Cardinals, his first name was Sonny but not Jorgensen?

ADVERTISEMENT