ADVERTISEMENT

Gaz

Love Gaz, we will miss him! Seems like every year we have a great player leaving the DL, but they continue to be a strength for us.

Love Gaz, we will miss him! Seems like every year we have a great player leaving the DL, but they continue to be a strength for us.
Great DC. Hand not only is a geneus strategist but some how inspires great off season preparation and development. Like me he usually only gets credit for being a geneius.

Reactions: cat inkansas
Great DC. Hand not only is a geneus strategist but some how inspires great off season preparation and development. Like me he usually only gets credit for being a geneius.

You can't even spell jeanius

He belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of Fitz era Wildcats.

GOUNUII
Man that is a tough call. But I agree.

My current Fitz Mount Rushmore, meaning players who were signed and developed when Fitz has been our HC:

Joe Gaziano
Justin Jackson
Clayton Thorson
Lancaster / Lowry / Walker Jr.

I honestly can’t decide on the 4th. And Paddy Fisher could take that fourth spot with a big 5th year. Who am I missing?

He belongs on the Mt. Rushmore of Fitz era Wildcats.

GOUNUII
Gaziano_Front.jpg

Reactions: Indy Cat93
McManis, Persa and Wootton played 100% of their games with Fitz as the HC. I'm counting that as Fitz-era

I feel like you could go years and not see a safety in a game, but for some reason, the Gaziano led NU DL got a large number of them over the past few years.
This year he started the Safety Clap! That was a great moment in a not so great season!

DA1, DA2, TS, Fitz, Adamle, Otto Graham...
Only TS was a Fitz-era player and while he was good, he didn’t come close to Thorson’s NU success.
All superb players, but who would they unseat on the Mt R?
Gaziano versus Wootton makes it more difficult. I’d still take Gaz given overall team success. However Coreysaurus was special.

McManis may be the 4th. Thorson will always take the cake over Persa and most NU QBs not named Graham - until someone breaks his all-time wins record.

Dan Persa, Austin Carr, Corey Wootton, Sherrick McManis

In terms of absolute best players:
Persa, Woot, Jackson, McManis makes a good Rushmore, though plenty others in the discussion.

In terms of body of work:
Thorson, Gaz, Jackson, McManis

But Kafka, Siemian, Fisher, Carr, Lancaster, Lowry, AWalk are all great considerations as well depending on criteria--of the top of my head.

McManis, Persa and Wootton played 100% of their games with Fitz as the HC. I'm counting that as Fitz-era

At the risk of getting technical, I am pretty sure Walker signed Wooton. I remember Walker making reference to Wooten being the kind of player that would make us forget about other NU players that came before him.

JJTBC was the most successful player we had, but AWalk was the best. How often do we have a guy leave early for the pros?

How often do we have a guy leave early for the pros?

Or become a starter for a good team? Strief and Essex are the only ones I can think of. Luis Castillo would have been good in the pros if not for injuries. That's all I can think of.

At the risk of getting technical, I am pretty sure Walker signed Wooton. I remember Walker making reference to Wooten being the kind of player that would make us forget about other NU players that came before him.

Specifically, Walker was referring to Loren Howard, who was a stud for us, but then was injured and transferred back home to Arizona State. The faithful were lamenting his loss, and so Walker was referring to him when talking about Wooton.

Reactions: drewjin
Specifically, Walker was referring to Loren Howard, who was a stud for us, but then was injured and transferred back home to Arizona State. The faithful were lamenting his loss, and so Walker was referring to him when talking about Wooton.
Nope, he was talking about Wootton.

Last edited:
Reactions: Gladeskat
Or become a starter for a good team? Strief and Essex are the only ones I can think of. Luis Castillo would have been good in the pros if not for injuries. That's all I can think of.

Napo Harris started on a Super Bowl team. Of course when referring to his alma mater he said Dixmoor U (his hometown) instead of NU. WTF.

Steve Tasker and John Kidd played in 4 Super Bowls. Special teams, but still the best in the biz.

JJTBC was the most successful player we had, but AWalk was the best. How often do we have a guy leave early for the pros?

Aside from A Walker, I can remember Darnell Autry leaving early. Hudhaifa Ismaeli and Richard Buchanan also left early, but Buchanan I don't think was drafted and neither made rosters.

Napo Harris started on a Super Bowl team. Of course when referring to his alma mater he said Dixmoor U (his hometown) instead of NU. WTF.

Wasn't he moved to DE one year because we were thin at that position? (no pun intended) Wonder if he was not too happy about his NU experience.

Given his natural talents, I expected Napo to have a longer and more productive NFL career. As it were, I think Nick Roach played longer, and now Ant Walker is cementing his place as a solid starter for the Colts in his third season, and could be the best NU linebacker to play in the league when it's all done.

Wasn't he moved to DE one year because we were thin at that position? (no pun intended) Wonder if he was not too happy about his NU experience.

Given his natural talents, I expected Napo to have a longer and more productive NFL career. As it were, I think Nick Roach played longer, and now Ant Walker is cementing his place as a solid starter for the Colts in his third season, and could be the best NU linebacker to play in the league when it's all done.

Dude played in the NFL for seven years and played in a Super Bowl. He had a nice NFL career.

Aside from A Walker, I can remember Darnell Autry leaving early. Hudhaifa Ismaeli and Richard Buchanan also left early, but Buchanan I don't think was drafted and neither made rosters.
Basically.... it doesn't happen very often. AWalk for Mt.Rush

Reactions: NUCat320

If I’m not mistaken, Harris shifted to DE his final season at NU, at least in part to get Durr on the field. He stood up a fair amount even as the starting DE, and was the starting MLB for the Oak super bowl team. Of course, I could be mistaken.

Steve Tasker and John Kidd played in 4 Super Bowls. Special teams, but still the best in the biz.
I was really disappointed that Napo did that and always wondered if it was bad blood or he just really wanted to give his HS a shout out. At the time NU had very little presence in such high profile games.

Reactions: drewjin
I feel like you could go years and not see a safety in a game, but for some reason, the Gaziano led NU DL got a large number of them over the past few years.
Because Joe was an absolute savage when he sensed blood in the water

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT