ADVERTISEMENT

GHP’s athleticism is off the charts

I've been curious about this, but why isn't he a more heralded prospect? I mean guys with his size, speed, and athleticism don't grow on trees. If it's that his conference opponents are below average, that seems to be a way to dismiss someone with video game numbers, but he doesn't have the video game numbers either. I'm super excited about him but just am trying to figure out this disparity.

Reactions: nickcat4
I've been curious about this, but why isn't he a more heralded prospect? I mean guys with his size, speed, and athleticism don't grow on trees. If it's that his conference opponents are below average, that seems to be a way to dismiss someone with video game numbers, but he doesn't have the video game numbers either. I'm super excited about him but just am trying to figure out this disparity.

It’s likely Because of the level of competition but also because of the caliber of his teammates/coaches . That school is not renowned for churning out P5 football players so it’s likely that the staff and his teammates did not know how to optimize his talents. If I had coached that team I probably would have played him at QB. Put the ball in his hands on every play.

Wow. We’ve had a few such players on defense... can’t remember the last one on offense.

https://247sports.com/Article/New-N...unique-athlete-football-recruiting-124068158/
Yes, yes he is. His speed and size combination is exceptional (basically at the junior olympian level of field and track athletes, that's how high caliber he is). He has to be in the argument for the most athletic receiver we've ever had.

Hooper-Price is the answer to anyone who says we don't have size and speed. He's monstrous as a raw athlete.

It's probably the lack of high school production leading some schools to be more tentative on him.

Still, his offer sheet was terrific: good schools from all of the Power 5 conferences wanted him for his athleticism.

As a raw athlete, he's basically as much of a freak as a Rondale Moore (but in the opposite direction, he's tall and fast, whereas Moore is short/light but strong and fast). The difference is Moore had the high school production at a powerhouse, so he was a more "certain" prospect.

It’s likely Because of the level of competition but also because of the caliber of his teammates/coaches . That school is not renowned for churning out P5 football players so it’s likely that the staff and his teammates did not know how to optimize his talents. If I had coached that team I probably would have played him at QB. Put the ball in his hands on every play.
I've mentioned it previously, but I'm a grad of his school (St. John's) and don't remember any other P5 football players coming out of there. It's a high academic school (probably top ranked in Texas), with 100% of grads each year going on to college.

Justise Winslow came out of St. John's a few years ago, but with basketball, he had a chance to showcase his skills against a higher level of competition in AAU ball and in camps, which is harder to do consistently in football. I don't know much about SJS's current team, but it's possible the QB is just not good.

I'm excited about seeing Genson at NU next year.

Glad you weren’t his coach.

Lol. Maybe not every play, but I would have ridden him hard. You have to go with what you got.

giphy.gif

If you watch his senior year highlight tape, it sure seems like he lacks a QB to throw him the ball. The first clip is a "long" pass to him and the QB throws this lollipop up in the air that he goes and gets. Many of the other clips are short passes or screens. I have to think he just doesn't have a good QB to help him boost his numbers.

Reactions: GOUNUII
If you watch his senior year highlight tape, it sure seems like he lacks a QB to throw him the ball. The first clip is a "long" pass to him and the QB throws this lollipop up in the air that he goes and gets. Many of the other clips are short passes or screens. I have to think he just doesn't have a good QB to help him boost his numbers.

Hunter Johnson, your table is ready.

Reactions: TheC and NU Houston
Best way to put it is Hooper-Price is physically a 5 star prospect. Ceiling is basically whatever you want to imagine that's possible with his speed and size, he just doesn't have the resume that others have so he's unproven.

Best way to put it is Hooper-Price is physically a 5 star prospect. Ceiling is basically whatever you want to imagine that's possible with his speed and size, he just doesn't have the resume that others have so he's unproven.
He just has to demonstrate that:

a) he can get open in the B1G,

and

b) he can catch the ball

Time will tell.

Reactions: zeek55
Agree, his QB really struggles to get him the ball on anything 10+ yards beyond LOS. Will be interesting to see how the offense benefits from a WR who can take the top off the D and a QB with the arm strength to get it to him. Not saying CT can't, but they won't overlap

Speaking of, do we expect a possible return to the field of Jalen Brown this season? That would be an unexpected surprise to pop on the Irish D.

Proviso West? They had a 5 star WR come out of there and there is literally zero talent on an average year.

Proviso West? They had a 5 star WR come out of there and there is literally zero talent on an average year.

Proviso West had a lot more talent on that team than this kid had on his. The West QB had an arm on him. In addition, we all know that prater was overrated as a five star recruit. This kid is way faster and just as athletic as Prater.

Proviso West had a lot more talent on that team than this kid had on his. The West QB had an arm on him. In addition, we all know that prater was overrated as a five star recruit. This kid is way faster and just as athletic as Prater.

Faster than Prater before or after injuries?

Yeah, Hooper-Price is the better athlete than Prater circa 2009-10. Prater probably comes close in a short dash, outside of that heavy edge to Hooper-Price.

Post-injuries... how is that even a question?

Hooper-Price is one of the handful of best athletes in this entire recruiting class.

I posted this on another thread but ill drop it here as well.

Numbers Game Wide Receiver Comparison

Player A: High school camp numbers
Player B: NFL Combine numbers

Player A: 6'4.5" 205 lbs
Player B: 6'4" 211 lbs

40 Yard Dash:
A: 4.51
B: 4.5

Shuttle:
A: 4.16
B: 4.21

Vert:
A: 36.7"
B: 34.5"

Player A: Genson Hooper-Price
Player B: AJ Green

D'Wayne Bates might be a better comparison.

EDIT: compared to Prater.

Reactions: zeek55
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT