ADVERTISEMENT

Give Collins an extension

Pasadena Bound

Gold Member
Nov 13, 2002
There is still a lot of basketball to be played this season but I think that Coach Collins has earned an extension. Before the season began, I feared the worst, especially after losing Nance and Young to the portal. To his credit, he hired Chris Lowrey who seems to have played a key role in our outstanding defense. And he has this team playing hard and believing in themselves. Lastly, Collins has always represented NU extremely well which I think is important to all of us.

In terms of this season, hopefully we keep things going and end up playing in the post season. I love these kids and the way they are playing! But thinking longer term, it is crucial that we recruit off of the success we are now having. After last season, I think that Gragg made a big mistake by putting Collins on the hot seat very publicly. I happen to agree with the sentiment but that point should have been made to Collins behind closed doors. From that day on, Collins’ status was uncertain. As we all know, recruiting is the lifeblood of any program and being a “bubble” coach makes it very difficult for Collins to recruit the difference makers we need to take the next step. He needs to be firing on all 8 cylinders on the recruiting trail and in my opinion, he can only recruit effectively if his status over the next few years is more certain. Give him an extension, he’s earned it. Go ‘Cats.

There is still a lot of basketball to be played this season but I think that Coach Collins has earned an extension. Before the season began, I feared the worst, especially after losing Nance and Young to the portal. To his credit, he hired Chris Lowrey who seems to have played a key role in our outstanding defense. And he has this team playing hard and believing in themselves. Lastly, Collins has always represented NU extremely well which I think is important to all of us.

In terms of this season, hopefully we keep things going and end up playing in the post season. I love these kids and the way they are playing! But thinking longer term, it is crucial that we recruit off of the success we are now having. After last season, I think that Gragg made a big mistake by putting Collins on the hot seat very publicly. I happen to agree with the sentiment but that point should have been made to Collins behind closed doors. From that day on, Collins’ status was uncertain. As we all know, recruiting is the lifeblood of any program and being a “bubble” coach makes it very difficult for Collins to recruit the difference makers we need to take the next step. He needs to be firing on all 8 cylinders on the recruiting trail and in my opinion, he can only recruit effectively if his status over the next few years is more certain. Give him an extension, he’s earned it. Go ‘Cats.
Team looks great thus far this season. But “not yet” is the answer. Let’s see how the rest of the year plays out. An extension now seems over ambitious.

Gragg can't make himself look that foolish.

I think the first step would be "We're not going to fire you."
PWB---I see your point. But the key to recruits is who will be their head coach for the next four years . I think anything short of an extension means Collins is perceived as a coach on the "bubble", which negatively impacts his ability to sign recruits.

Never should have had the public “needs to make progress” from the AD. That was dumb. At least acknowledge the progress and give him some tools to continue the progress

This board has archives dating back to last year, when many if not most posters (and fans paying any attention) wanted CC gone. Gragg had to issue that statement to show he was paying attention in lieu of paying the $8 million buyout. Score one for big buyouts, btw.

Never should have had the public “needs to make progress” from the AD. That was dumb. At least acknowledge the progress and give him some tools to continue the progress
Given that fans were clamoring for something, it was a reasonable comment. And while I don’t know if the assistant salary budget was increased, Lowery’s presence has made a HUGE impact. Brooks B said as much when I talked with him after the game.

He needs to finish strong but working towards an extension and getting rid of some recruiting shackles will help. I think at this point aggressively pursuing transfers that can increase our athleticism and scoring are important but are team oriented. I threw out some names in a prior thread as potential candidates due to their coaching/playing situation

How many years are left on his current deal?

Doesn't need an extension yet but at least take away the threat of firing. He should not have to think of going into the end of the season with that hanging over everythingHe has earned that. After next year would be when you would want to give him an extension, especially if he can keep it going

All for Collins being the coach going forward, but the likelihood is NU will regress before it advances. I believe Collins has been exceptional in identifying talent that he can successfully recruit and pass NU admissions. He just needs a break or two in finding the elite talent that buys into his pitch.

Who’s to say the very, very public statement from Gragg wasn’t the reason for the wholesale changes?

Borovich shown the door (maybe)?
McIntosh elevated.
James emeritus’ed.
Lowery found.

These are huge changes, following a disastrous season. And they’ve worked, it seems. We don’t even know if they were CCC’s choices, or if they were imposed.

Let’s see where things are on March 15.

Who’s to say the very, very public statement from Gragg wasn’t the reason for the wholesale changes?

McIntosh elevated.
James emeritus’ed.
Lowery found.

These are huge changes, following a disastrous season. And they’ve worked, it seems. We don’t even know if they were CCC’s choices, or if they were imposed.

No, we don’t KNOW if they were CCC’s choices or were imposed, but the statement also doesn’t come across as even reasonable speculation. I would be very surprised for any credible AD to simply impose these kinds of changes. Discuss them, encourage them, urge them all seem much more likely to me, if that.

Reactions: Purple Pile Driver
All for Collins being the coach going forward, but the likelihood is NU will regress before it advances. I believe Collins has been exceptional in identifying talent that he can successfully recruit and pass NU admissions. He just needs a break or two in finding the elite talent that buys into his pitch.
He is gonna be BT Coach of the Year for sure

Reactions: GrandRapidsCatFan

McIntosh elevated.
James emeritus’ed.
Lowery found.

That’s not how D1 sports work. Not even close.

Idc what the fans think. You don’t make a public statement like the AD did. You can have that conversation behind closed doors. If you’re at the point that statement needs to be made public, fire the coach.

The AD handled the situation poorly. Condemned at least one class of recruiting and put the program in a tough place if CCC coaches himself into an extension. Or at the very least put massive handcuffs on the staff.

This opinion has nothing to do with what I think of CCC as a coach. I just firmly believe you publicly back your coach until it’s time to let them go. The statement was a no win situation. Killed any momentum a good season this season could have in recruiting. Or we held onto a coach an extra year we should have fired the year before.

Idc what the fans think. You don’t make a public statement like the AD did. You can have that conversation behind closed doors. If you’re at the point that statement needs to be made public, fire the coach.

The AD handled the situation poorly. Condemned at least one class of recruiting and put the program in a tough place if CCC coaches himself into an extension. Or at the very least put massive handcuffs on the staff.

This opinion has nothing to do with what I think of CCC as a coach. I just firmly believe you publicly back your coach until it’s time to let them go. The statement was a no win situation. Killed any momentum a good season this season could have in recruiting. Or we held onto a coach an extra year we should have fired the year before.
Totally agree. On top of that, it could negatively impact Collins’ loyalty if some other school comes calling. Something needed to change after the last several seasons, but publicly calling out Collins wasn’t a smart move.

W-a-y too early to talk about extensions. About a year too early. At this time next year, if Boo and Audige move on, there is a very good chance NU will return to the BIG basement and we all will be discussing potential successors.

Let’s just enjoy this run, hope the Cats can claw their way into the tournament and let Collins earn the last two years on his contract. If he can put together a good recruiting year next fall and then keeps the team competitive next season — if he does indeed lose Boo and Audige, then you have plenty of time to decide about an extension. If Collins even wants one at that point.

PWB---I see your point. But the key to recruits is who will be their head coach for the next four years . I think anything short of an extension means Collins is perceived as a coach on the "bubble", which negatively impacts his ability to sign recruits.
Having a couple years left on a contract should be adequate. But if it were to get down to one, it would definitely be an issue. In these days of the portal, less of an issue with two remanaining.

Last edited:

Why I am not a fan of Gragg.

Reactions: No Chores
Doesn't need an extension yet but at least take away the threat of firing. He should not have to think of going into the end of the season with that hanging over everythingHe has earned that. After next year would be when you would want to give him an extension, especially if he can keep it going
That doesn't enhance the recruiting situation.
If you are going to keep him, he needs every advantage in brining in the best talent. Somebody who understands what it really takes to be an excellent BB coach and is not biased needs to decide if Collins has what it takes to sustain a program. He is a really good fit in many ways but is he a good enough head coach? I really like him but I'm not anywhere near qualified to answer the BB questions.

Reactions: Eurocat
B
If you are going to keep him, he needs every advantage in brining in the best talent. Somebody who understands what it really takes to be an excellent BB coach and is not biased needs to decide if Collins has what it takes to sustain a program. He is a really good fit in many ways but is he a good enough head coach? I really like him but I'm not anywhere near qualified to answer the BB questions.
In these portal days, nobody is committing for more than a year at a time.

And If Boo and Audige leave after this season, next year looks very ugly. Is NU willing to commit to Collins for another four years after what could be another 3 or 4 win BIG season next year — unless he goes out and lands a couple of impact transfers this spring and a good signing class next fall. Then you have some hope that this year wasn’t another one of those unicorn seasons that pop up every five years or so. Which, come to think of it, may be the best we can hope for at NU.

I thought NU had a reasonable chance to make the Tourney prior to the Seeason. Will the Cats go 500 or better in the second half of the season; it’s a very tough schedule.

No he didn’t. It’s a dumb move and really hurt CCC’s ability to attract higher recruits. I guess he learned his lesson and didn’t make the same error and call out Fitz.
Praise in public; admonish in private. Management 101.
It was a moonshot. He couldn’t get the approval to deservedly fire CCC last year. If you fire a coach, portal rules say you’re getting an exodus anyway, so there aren’t any recruits to hold on to. It’s a totally fresh start.

I generally think that the public praise, private criticism is the right approach. But maybe this was the message that was needed to actually make CCC take some action.

James has been with the Collins family for 30 years. He was on every Doug Collins NBA staff after Chris played for him. And he was bumped to a new role (but still on the bench?) to make room for Lowery. That’s a change, and perhaps one that wouldn’t have been made otherwise.

The idea that Chase and Boo are finally playing together…I do wonder if Mc has a bit more of their ears now, as an actual assistant. (Mc’s story: dude, Lindsey and I couldn’t get along, and we wrecked my senior year.) Does that resonate more now? Did Borovich get pushed to a lesser role at MSU? (“Hey Jon, thanks for your service. We’re letting you go in xxx weeks, but we’ll give you time to find something else.”)

I would argue that the public statement had little risk. Most fans that care wanted him gone, and Gragg couldn’t do it. A dip in recruiting — the recruits without the statement were an under the radar big guy and a Hail Mary Elon decommit. While both look like they belong, they weren’t mega-stars anyway.

And frankly, what we’ve realized is that no-star Boo and no-star Audige are the most important players this program has had since Mc and Law and Pardon.

Maybe no-stars Clayton and Barkley and Strauss are the profiles we should be attacking: guys who want a degree, guys who want to defend, and guys who want to be hoops lifers whether that’s scrapping in Europe and Asia and the G-League, or getting right into coaching.

Or maybe NU should try to build around the Bensons and Falzons and Kopps and Ivanauskases and Simmonses — look at those stars!

Also, for what it’s worth, I still think this is an NCAA or bust* season, and February is tougher than January, and there could be a ten-game losing streak lurking this season just like there was the last time NU hit the top 25. (I think…)

*if Boo and Chase commit to staying, I think I’d give him another last last last chance.

No

Fewer players start anywhere for four years. Get on the portal and find a couple one or two year fill ins.

A lot better than it is now. Collins still has a couple years left on his contract. Danger is going into last year which Gragg effectively did to him this year

I thought NU had a reasonable chance to make the Tourney prior to the Seeason. Will the Cats go 500 or better in the second half of the season; it’s a very tough schedule.
At this point it is last third. And while it would be nice to go 0.500 or better, don't have to do quite that well. Close but a little room for error.

Last edited:
B

In these portal days, nobody is committing for more than a year at a time.

And If Boo and Audige leave after this season, next year looks very ugly. Is NU willing to commit to Collins for another four years after what could be another 3 or 4 win BIG season next year — unless he goes out and lands a couple of impact transfers this spring and a good signing class next fall. Then you have some hope that this year wasn’t another one of those unicorn seasons that pop up every five years or so. Which, come to think of it, may be the best we can hope for at NU.
If Boo and Audige stay It would certainly say something about Collins and players dedication to him. Not a bad quality for a coach and not a bad look for recruits. A lot of teams have benefited from the extra Covid year, Why not NU? Having said that I will be glad when everyone has exhausted all this extended eligibility which by nature amplifies all the portal activity.

Reactions: drewjin and hdhntr1
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT