ADVERTISEMENT

Good for Braun

Medill '03

Gold Member
Nov 22, 2001
And good for the president and AD for making the right decision.

We know the next two years will be tough due to no home stadium. Plus, NU has to figure out how to navigate the transfer portal, NIL, and the Western expansion of the B1G. Braun will have two years to work his tail off recruiting staff, returning players, HS standouts, and transfers with the promise of a shiny new stadium.

If he fails, he still earned invaluable experience and money at a much higher level than he ever imagined a couple years ago. And NU saved some money (pending lawsuits) with an inexperienced coach during inevitable transition years. Then they can spend big and hire a new coach with a better plan when NU opens against South Dakota State in 2026.

If he succeeds, well, we'll all be happy. And we can thank Fitz for hiring this diamond in the rough.

And maybe it's because I'm a dad with young kids who love sports, but I'm happy for his family. They don't have to move. They can unpack their bags in Evanston after a traumatic arrival. The kids can keep driving up the BTN ratings.

I love Braun’s comments about his kids. Hits me different than it did coming from Fitz.

I’m older than this head coach, and his kids are younger than mine, and it’s allll downhill from here for me 😀.

The similarities to 31-year-old Fitz really are striking.

Braun is capable of accomplishing everything Fitz did. I hope he’s still the coach when Fitz gets his statue in a decade.

Last edited:
I agree with most of the above - with credit to Fitz. Though I disagreed with the firing - and even more with the handling - I also think there is something Braun is bringing that Fitz could not bring. A generational shift in leadership style that has allowed a different, and perhaps better connection to the players.

They are both player's coaches - but I suspect Braun may be much more similar to Mike McDaniel - less old school and more connected than Fitz.

Link to article below - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/11/mike-mcdaniel-dolphins-coach/ It's an interesting read.

I agree with most of the above - with credit to Fitz. Though I disagreed with the firing - and even more with the handling - I also think there is something Braun is bringing that Fitz could not bring. A generational shift in leadership style that has allowed a different, and perhaps better connection to the players.

They are both player's coaches - but I suspect Braun may be much more similar to Mike McDaniel - less old school and more connected than Fitz.

Link to article below - https://www.washingtonpost.com/sports/2023/11/11/mike-mcdaniel-dolphins-coach/ It's an interesting read.
Fitz was old school from the day he was born. Which I often appreciated.

Reactions: Hkjb

He would have brought that at the DC level as well. And likely the next OC that Fitz was likely to hire after this season would have probably brought it as well. Fitz was in the process of making the transition. So I disagree with your statement that he brought something that Fitz could not bring. Maybe not as quickly as it occurred because of the way that things happened but it was in the process of happening

He would have brought that at the DC level as well. And likely the next OC that Fitz was likely to hire after this season would have probably brought it as well. Fitz was in the process of making the transition. So I disagree with your statement that he brought something that Fitz could not bring. Maybe not as quickly as it occurred because of the way that things happened but it was in the process of happening
I still admire Fitz and wish he had the opportunity to coach this team with these assistant coaches. We likely would’ve had a similar record. I still don’t think we would’ve beat Rutgers or Duke even without the scandal distraction. First, those teams were playing very well at the start of the season. Second, it was more the rule than the exception under Fitz that we started out poorly and got better during the season.

PSU, still an L no matter what.

Nebraska and Iowa, not having Bryant was the biggest factor, not the head coaching.

On that note Fitz may have lost Illinois game by not being aggressive particularly before halftime.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT