ADVERTISEMENT

Good for J. Brock ... a young man who belongs in Purple.

GOUNUII

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2004
Notre Dame asked him to slow down his recruitment and let them in the game.

He said No Thanks.

Maybe Miamen is wishing he had done the same.

There's something fishy going on in the recruiting practices at South Bend University.

Not sure what it is. But definitely a pattern here I have never seen before.

GOUNUII

What’s your point besides trying to drag a kid who’s found himself on the odd end of the numbers game at multiple schools simultaneously? The kid’s head is surely spinning right now. Let’s not pile on, eh?
That also means that Minnesota, Iowa State and Northwestern are the final three left on his top 5. ;)

That also means that Minnesota, Iowa State and Northwestern are the final three left on his top 5. ;)

Well, that top 5 was before ND came in with an offer. Do we know that ND's isn't committable and that he's being slow played (I guess the visit postponement probably verifies it)?

I'm not sure how I feel about all this. I guess if Ayeni likes him that I trust the coaches on this. But, I'm wondering why the likes of Purdue is deciding they would pass on him. I've always been more about the offers than the stars, and Brock's Rivals rating seems to be a mismatch with the interest being generated by other programs. He doesn't seem to be a national recruit at all. At least we have to like our chances against the likes of Iowa State and Minnesota. I think we have to win more than we lose against them, though perhaps not as one sided as our battles with Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue have been.

Well, that top 5 was before ND came in with an offer. Do we know that ND's isn't committable and that he's being slow played (I guess the visit postponement probably verifies it)?

I'm not sure how I feel about all this. I guess if Ayeni likes him that I trust the coaches on this. But, I'm wondering why the likes of Purdue is deciding they would pass on him. I've always been more about the offers than the stars, and Brock's Rivals rating seems to be a mismatch with the interest being generated by other programs. He doesn't seem to be a national recruit at all. At least we have to like our chances against the likes of Iowa State and Minnesota. I think we have to win more than we lose against them, though perhaps not as one sided as our battles with Illinois, Indiana, and Purdue have been.

Brock really does look like Justin Jackson 2.0 on his tape. Shifty, great cutbacks, always moving forward, makes something out of nothing. NU’s offense hasn’t been explosive lately, but it was the combination of a ball control offense (led by The Ball Carrier) and a stingy defense that got the program to 27 wins in the Thorson era.

It’s possible that Iowa and Purdue are looking for different qualities in their RBs. Which is not a knock on Brock. (Also, not sure what you mean by “national recruit” but his offer list is solid, if concentrated in the Midwest.)

If NU loses another Illinois recruit to Minnesota I will lose my mind.

Last edited:

College football recruiting is and always will be a numbers game. You can’t take every player you offer.

Brock got caught in numbers games at Purdue and Iowa, they didn’t pass on him. Seems like he might also get caught in numbers games at ND and ISU.

Brock really does look like Justin Jackson 2.0 on his tape. Shifty, great cutbacks, always moving forward, makes something out of nothing. NU’s offense hasn’t been explosive lately, but it was the combination of a ball control offense (led by The Ball Carrier) and a stingy defense that got the program to 27 wins in the Thorson era.

It’s possible that Iowa and Purdue are looking for different qualities in their RBs. Which is not a knock on Brock. (Also, not sure what you mean by “national recruit” but his offer list is solid, if concentrated in the Midwest.)

National recruit meaning recruited nationally and not just in the Midwest.

College football recruiting is and always will be a numbers game. You can’t take every player you offer.

Brock got caught in numbers games at Purdue and Iowa, they didn’t pass on him. Seems like he might also get caught in numbers games at ND and ISU.

Not sure about that. Check my post on the Rock, which is a bit reading between the lines, but might be more than just the numbers.

Hold on to your mind.

Now we are complaining that our recruits “only” have largely B1G offers?

MOAR
No kidding. Haven't heard the old saw about, "He only has MAC offers." in a while. That is probably a tell that we really are getting better and better recruits in spite of all our hand wringing. Could be a better measuring stick than all the stars.

Reactions: hdhntr1
They are both very good, can we stop?
Yes. Both very good. Very different styles. Brock is a power back, with good cutback ability and some burst. He reminds me a bit of Otis Anderson (really dating myself here) early in his career. Anderson was a big back with good straight line speed and a lethal cutback ability between the tackles and in the secondary.

Young reminds me of Tyrell Sutton a bit, though he's more windy and a little less violent at contact.

We would do very, very well to land either one of these kids. Both 4 star talents IMUO.

Now we are complaining that our recruits “only” have largely B1G offers?

MOAR

Not complaining. Just answered the guy's question on what a national recruit was vs. a regional recruit.

And more broadly, I was only pointing out the discrepancy between his rivals rankings, which many on this board are prone to view with scepticism and the lack of national interest that tends to follow such recruits. As I have always maintained (despite efforts to suggest otherwise) that I'm more impressed by how many quality offers a kid has than the star ratings.

This all said, Justin Jackson was also a 4 star recruit who had largely (if not exclusively, don't remember) regional offers as well. So, it's not like this is a huge issue or that it means a whole lot.

Sheesh.

No kidding. Haven't heard the old saw about, "He only has MAC offers." in a while. That is probably a tell that we really are getting better and better recruits in spite of all our hand wringing. Could be a better measuring stick than all the stars.

It is certainly a sign of progress from the wilderness that began with the Walker years and continued on when certain individuals were involved with NU recruiting.

I approve.

But, I do want moar.

Can't rest, until we have kids who were wanted by every program in the country. Getting one such player via transfer is a good start, but I want MOAR!

Casting aspersions based on uninformed speculation is textbook dragging.

Well, then that's a tradition on these boards. I mean how many of us really knew the Cale Millen situation outside of mere speculation before they dragged him and his dad through the mud?

And for Pete's sake, no one is casting aspersions here. Just pointing out an observation.

I hope we land Brock. I think he's probably a good player, and if Ayeni wants him, I'm more than good. I'm just wondering what's going on. That's all.

Sheesh.

Well, then that's a tradition on these boards. I mean how many of us really knew the Cale Millen situation outside of mere speculation before they dragged him and his dad through the mud?

And for Pete's sake, no one is casting aspersions here. Just pointing out an observation.

I hope we land Brock. I think he's probably a good player, and if Ayeni wants him, I'm more than good. I'm just wondering what's going on. That's all.

Sheesh.

You're not asking in a football messageboard-correct manner.

The head guy on the Iowa rivals page has said that Brock would not take a visit to ND. I had also heard that tOSU is his dream school, and they have not offered, so, for what it's worth. Iowa got caught in the numbers games, has a good Juco RB who just enrolled and have a very good feeling on another RB that is announcing on July 3rd. This kid supposedly runs a lot like Akrum Wadley from what I hear. So I am guessing they are expecting him to commit which leaves no room for Brock. Now, who knows if Brock gets his dream offer, Urban is the type to swoop in on Brock if his plan A running back falls through and could offer Brock as there plan B. Harbaugh does that to Iowa recruits almost yearly. Anyway, not that I would be happy to see Brock in a Wildcat jersey, but it would be preferable then an Iowa State or Minnesota (Both of which I dislike more then Northwestern). :)

The head guy on the Iowa rivals page has said that Brock would not take a visit to ND. I had also heard that tOSU is his dream school, and they have not offered, so, for what it's worth. Iowa got caught in the numbers games, has a good Juco RB who just enrolled and have a very good feeling on another RB that is announcing on July 3rd. This kid supposedly runs a lot like Akrum Wadley from what I hear. So I am guessing they are expecting him to commit which leaves no room for Brock. Now, who knows if Brock gets his dream offer, Urban is the type to swoop in on Brock if his plan A running back falls through and could offer Brock as there plan B. Harbaugh does that to Iowa recruits almost yearly. Anyway, not that I would be happy to see Brock in a Wildcat jersey, but it would be preferable then an Iowa State or Minnesota (Both of which I dislike more then Northwestern). :)
He seems like a RB with a little more size than we have had in a while,

Reactions: scotthawk1964
With that, it would seem our chances would be pretty good. We have ISU's initial point of contact. If OSU is his dream, OSU has already taken a similar sized RB in this class and took three RBs last year. We have a nice situation to be stepping into. Would seem our top competition would be MN And ISU and he has already been to MN

With that, it would seem our chances would be pretty good. We have ISU's initial point of contact. If OSU is his dream, OSU has already taken a similar sized RB in this class and took three RBs last year. We have a nice situation to be stepping into. Would seem our top competition would be MN And ISU and he has already been to MN
He has also already visited NU, but I like our chances too. I really do not understand the appeal of the crew team coach in Minny.

I was very shocked about the Brock deal. Iowa has been recruiting him for a couple years I believe, and like the others at the Iowa board would still like Iowa to get Brock, but I also understand the numbers game and Iowa has some good RB's on the roster already, then add the Juco kid and the Wadley clone and they will be ok. I think NW sits pretty well with Brock. I know from his twitter page he seemed to have a good time with his boat rowing visit, but then he also seemed to like his Northwestern visit as well. I live 40 minutes from Ames Iowa, and I can truly say there is nothing in Ames, so if he goes there it's because he is promised immediate playing time. However, ISU has a very good RB in Montgomery.

I was very shocked about the Brock deal. Iowa has been recruiting him for a couple years I believe, and like the others at the Iowa board would still like Iowa to get Brock, but I also understand the numbers game and Iowa has some good RB's on the roster already, then add the Juco kid and the Wadley clone and they will be ok. I think NW sits pretty well with Brock. I know from his twitter page he seemed to have a good time with his boat rowing visit, but then he also seemed to like his Northwestern visit as well. I live 40 minutes from Ames Iowa, and I can truly say there is nothing in Ames, so if he goes there it's because he is promised immediate playing time. However, ISU has a very good RB in Montgomery.

Keep in mind the RB coach who was recruiting him at Iowa State is now the RB coach at Northwestern.

Keep in mind the RB coach who was recruiting him at Iowa State is now the RB coach at Northwestern.
My personal thought was that he was going to be an Iowa recruit. However, no one really knows all the details of his cancelling his OV. That being said. Fleck is a snake oil salesman, there is nothing in Ames and NW has some very nice new facilities. I don't know NW RB situation or if Brock would get early playing time. I think had he gone to Iowa, he would have been redshirted. ISU, beyond Montgomery I am not sure what is behind him, nor what Minnesota has returning. But if NW has a possibility of playing early that is a plus. Of course, if this kid is really good, you play him early anyway. LOL

Actually, Nathan Schaaelhaus (or whatever his name is spelled) is recruiting him and has a very strong relationship as well, as he was recruiting him when he was at Illinois, so I'm not sure we really have a leg up on that front. I would still be disappointed if we lost him (or really any recruit) to Iowa State.

Wasn’t a numbers game at Purdue. Cannot say about Iowa other than they also passed.

H
He's glamming on to my observations about Brock's rating vs. Young's rating. Young has a broader offer base, including The Tree, and multiple ACC, SEC and B!G offers. His tape his very good. He should be rated a 4 star like Brock, IMO.
How did Young's visit go? Did not see it talked about but he supposedly was here on 6/12

Wasn’t a numbers game at Purdue. Cannot say about Iowa other than they also passed.

Both schools looked at it as a numbers game. Iowa signed a RB out of Wisconsin in 2018 with similar size. Leading prospect for 2019 is a different style running. JUCO RB was added, as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT