ADVERTISEMENT

Good luck ARY

Wish him the best. Whether his choice will be for the better or not, no need to denigrate an 18 yo kid or Purdue. Let’s move on.

Worry about the ones you get, not the ones that got away.
Denigrate him - No
Wish him the best - No way

This was handled horribly.

Reactions: drewjin
Denigrate him - No
Wish him the best - No way

This was handled horribly.
It was handled horribly. However, this scenario repeated itself about 50 times today. It’s a dirty business and in some cases the kids get screwed by the school ( oversigning) and in others the schools get screwed by last second decommits.

IMO, there shouldn’t be a signing day. All offers must be commitable and athletes can immediately accept/sign. Give them an out for head coach changes.

Reactions: willycat
It was handled horribly. However, this scenario repeated itself about 50 times today. It’s a dirty business and in some cases the kids get screwed by the school ( oversigning) and in others the schools get screwed by last second decommits.

IMO, there shouldn’t be a signing day. All offers must be commitable and athletes can immediately accept/sign. Give them an out for head coach changes.
Bad parenting here. Teaching your kid that this is OK at this stage in life will just set them up for further issues in life. It is a bad business, but this kid and his parents know that once you commit to us we do not recruit over your spot. It is firm no matter what happens to you. The fact that his parents didn't have the foresight, intelligence, or awareness to let our staff know ahead of time is what I have a problem with. It's his loss, as the he can do great with a Purdue degree but he will never have the network that NU athletics provides.

I am sorry but I don’t wish this kid well. He/we held a spot for a year. Then on signing day he flips. I think it’s an indictment of him and his families character. He could have came in and likely been the go to outside guy. He would have had ample opportunity to make a difference. They have to change the sports term of “committed”. Obviously a majority of universities and a fair amount of athletes have no concept of the meaning.

Good call, PPD.

Reactions: NUCat320
Bad parenting here. Teaching your kid that this is OK at this stage in life will just set them up for further issues in life. It is a bad business, but this kid and his parents know that once you commit to us we do not recruit over your spot. It is firm no matter what happens to you. The fact that his parents didn't have the foresight, intelligence, or awareness to let our staff know ahead of time is what I have a problem with. It's his loss, as the he can do great with a Purdue degree but he will never have the network that NU athletics provides.

I do not excuse or condone this behavior, but, sadly, this is the state of the world we live in. Today, for many recruits—even some kids that NU recruits—“committed” simply means “leaning towards but really still open because FOMO is always a thing.” And before we get all bent out of shape, NU has two recruits who flipped in this class, one as late as last week. Are Jordan Butler’s parents bad parents?

This is a good class and losing only one commit ( Atkinson is a different story ) after what was an appallingly bad season, is actually a positive sign for the program.

Last edited:
I do not excuse or condone this behavior, but, sadly, this is the state of the world we live in. Today, for many recruits—even some of kids that NU recruits—“committed” simply means “leaning towards but really still open because FOMO is always a thing.” And before we get all bent out of shape, NU has two recruits who flipped in this class, one as late as last week. Are Jordan Butler’s parents bad parents?

This is a good class and losing only one commit ( Atkinson is a different story ) after what was an appallingly bad season, is actually a positive sign for the program.

This.

/thread

I am sorry but I don’t wish this kid well. He/we held a spot for a year. Then on signing day he flips. I think it’s an indictment of him and his families character. He could have came in and likely been the go to outside guy. He would have had ample opportunity to make a difference. They have to change the sports term of “committed”. Obviously a majority of universities and a fair amount of athletes have no concept of the meaning.
But we just hired a new OC. I don't know what role McCall had in his recruitment, but if he was sold on McCall and then we fired McCall, I don't begrudge him the chance to reevaluate what he's getting into. Obviously I think he made the wrong choice, but I don't think that makes him a bad person, given the circumstances.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT