ADVERTISEMENT

Good news for the Cats this Saturday

The Witch of November came calling that fateful day.

In Charlevoix, Michigan (harbor town on northern Lake Michigan), the local McDonalds had a picture (I saw it 35 years ago) of the Charlevoix south pier lighthouse taken on that day. The structure is 44 ft tall, and on that day the waves were easily past the midpoint.

Several years ago I took an early October backpack trip to Picture Rocks Nat'l Lakeshore (Park) on the south shore of Lake Superior. We got hit with an early season winter storm on our first day, with 30-40 mph winds and graupel squalls and snow throughout the day. Around 4pm, we pitched a tent behind a dune on the lakeshore. The sun had peaked out a bit.

I looked to the northwest and saw a line of black clouds bearing down. We stowed our gear and hunkered down. The squalls sounded like a freight train bearing down on us. First the roaring wind, then a shaking tent, and then a fusillade of hail that made the tent sound like a snare drum (with us inside). It would last a few minutes, tail off, and then repeat.

We ate in the tent and dozed off. Around midnight I awoke, and saw full moon shining. The wind was still blasting. I was sure I heard children's voices in the woods. My mind was obviously going. We decamped at 8am the next day after 16 hours in that tent.

Last edited:
The SS Fitz is listing in cold stormy seas right now.
In these troubled times, Fitz, like Captain McSorley, might say: " we are holding our own".

To which, I would reply: that's better than someone else's.

On a more personal and serious note. This shipwreck and the ballad it inspired always bring tears to my eyes. A good number of the unfortunate crew were from the area around my hometown. A sad story indeed.

While backpacking on Isle Royal a long time ago ...I got chased into Lake Superior by a moose...when I got up to my waist and he kept coming I thought where the hell am I going to go?....I can tell you Lake Superior is COOOOLD in October....certain parts of my anatomy have yet to recover!

While backpacking on Isle Royal a long time ago ...I got chased into Lake Superior by a moose...when I got up to my waist and he kept coming I thought where the hell am I going to go?....I can tell you Lake Superior is COOOOLD in October....certain parts of my anatomy have yet to recover!
Lake Superior is cold in July. Moose can be nasty critters. Did Alaskawildkat have anything to do with this?--word is, he's a Moose whisperer.

Last edited:
I believe Costanza called this phenomena "Shrinkage"

Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT