ADVERTISEMENT

Good read here on NU's new offense

We keep being reminded how bad our offense was in 2019: "Against 10 Power 5 conference opponents, they averaged 12 points per game and 3.9 yards per play. Horrid."

I think in the end Bajakian is going to be like Hank....with a lot of experience he will be able to adapt to the roster and the opponent...
Well, that would be incredible but he will have to accomplish a lot to be compared to Hank IMO. Hank is a bit of a genius.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo
Well, that would be incredible but he will have to accomplish a lot to be compared to Hank IMO. Hank is a bit of a genius.

I think Coach Hank is a good coach. However, he has had much more talent on his side of the ball. The recruiting of talent on that side of the ball has been much more successful even in pro careers.

The reason I never can call him a genius is I have watched OSU and other talented offenses have the ability to completely dominate our defense. One of the reasons is Fitz/Hank have a bend don't break Philosophy. With our keep the game close mentality, I think it prevents the blowout sometimes and just as often prevents the huge upset win.
And it doesn't work against teams with ridiculous offensive talent like OSU. They gladly accept the 8 yard passes with the knowledge that they will also get some YAC and if we have good coverage they have athletic QB's that can buy more time for receivers to get open. Its usually an easy pitch and catch game for the QB's.

That being said...Glad he is still coaching the defense.

I think Coach Hank is a good coach. However, he has had much more talent on his side of the ball. The recruiting of talent on that side of the ball has been much more successful even in pro careers.

The reason I never can call him a genius is I have watched OSU and other talented offenses have the ability to completely dominate our defense. One of the reasons is Fitz/Hank have a bend don't break Philosophy. With our keep the game close mentality, I think it prevents the blowout sometimes and just as often prevents the huge upset win.
And it doesn't work against teams with ridiculous offensive talent like OSU. They gladly accept the 8 yard passes with the knowledge that they will also get some YAC and if we have good coverage they have athletic QB's that can buy more time for receivers to get open. Its usually an easy pitch and catch game for the QB's.

The talent gap is always hard to overcome against teams like dOSU. They have 5-star freak athletes as receivers, and we may have one CB in a good year who may have a chance to cover them. Last year it was Newsome, but he was injury-plagued, and the other guys like Williams, Hampton, Ruiz, etc. can't cover them with a press or man-to-man. Unfortunately we have to go with the Cover 4 which as a fan I hate, but is necessary based on our personnel. Hank has to go to war sometimes as a one-legged man in an ass-kicking contest, but he does a great job with what he has.

Reactions: WildcatWillie

“Dominate?” No.

I agree, in my view Hank is the best coordinator I've seen at NU and I wouldn't have traded him over the past decade for any DC in the country, period. Year in and year out I'm amazed at how well the defense plays together, the schemes and adjustments. I remember when every pass felt like a guaranteed reception against our DBs and now I have confidence our guys will be in good position. If Hank had OSU talent, it would be insane.

Hank's run defenses have been outstanding, which is a essential in the B1G. Our pass defenses with the bend-not-break approach is sometimes frustrating to watch but given our usual physical makeup, is probably the best suited to give us a good chance at winning.

Hank's run defenses have been outstanding, which is a essential in the B1G. Our pass defenses with the bend-not-break approach is sometimes frustrating to watch but given our usual physical makeup, is probably the best suited to give us a good chance at winning.

Fitz has a good win/loss record for the talent we usually have, so I totally understand your point and you maybe right, but in many of the big upsets I have watched in my life...playing it safe usually isn't the way to beat teams with MUCH better talent. Usually it involves getting turnovers on defense and big plays on offense. And playing to win.

It's hard to get many picks playing 12 yards off a guy and rushing 3 with your best pass rusher in coverage. We neither have the talent or the will to try for the big plays on offense. So we try to just grind out first downs, keep the clock rolling and hope the much more talented team make a ton of unforced errors on both sides of the ball. Basically putting the game in their hands instead of trying to force the issue.

I know some will say we were close here or close there or mention some game from 13 years ago, but I am talking about the OSU/Harbaughs of the world. We have only beaten OSU once in my lifetime and that was when they had the worst QB(Zwick) in modern day OSU history.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT