ADVERTISEMENT

Grant Delpit

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
One of our posters was close to his family. I think we were in on him way back when, but he blew up and became a great player for LSU. No safeties went in the first round yesterday, but he's likely the first safety to go in round 2. He should not be there when the Bears pick at #43 (they don't need a safety, but he'd be hard to pass up, IMO).

One of our posters was close to his family. I think we were in on him way back when, but he blew up and became a great player for LSU. No safeties went in the first round yesterday, but he's likely the first safety to go in round 2. He should not be there when the Bears pick at #43 (they don't need a safety, but he'd be hard to pass up, IMO).

They very much need a safety. They have no one to play next to eddie Jackson next year but Delpit would not be my top choice to pair with Jackson. Antoine Winfield is the guy i’d like and there are a couple of others.

Last edited:
They need an offensive tackle much more than a run support safety. CB also a bigger need.

Who starts at safety next to Jackson? They have no one capable of being a full year starter in the NFL let alone a player that enables Jackson to play exclusively in the free safety role he thrived in as a rookie. Safety in my opinion is the top need, followed closely by OL, CB and TE in that order.

Reactions: ColumbusCatFan1
Who starts at safety next to Jackson? They have no one capable of being a full year starter in the NFL let alone a player that enables Jackson to play exclusively in the free safety role he thrived in as a rookie. Safety in my opinion is the top need, followed closely by OL, CB and TE in that order.

I tend to agree.

Winfield would be a great fit for the reasons you mentioned. If McKinney were to fall all the way to 43, that would be fantastic. He has the ability to play the slot in addition to boundary or field safety. Anything to get Skrine off the field! Geno Stone from Iowa would be a good day three option as well.

I would prefer a CB like Jaylon Johnson or Kristian Fulton too. The pass game (and coverage) matters most in 2020.

If the option were to present itself, trading down would be ideal. Try to pick up another pick or two with all the value at DB and WR. For those interested in a tackle, Ben Bartch is probably there in the late 3rd or 4th, so trading back may give you shot at him. He could be Pace's "small school special" for this class.

Last edited:
I tend to agree.

Winfield would be a great fit for the reasons you mentioned. If McKinney were to fall all the way to 43, that would be fantastic. He has the ability to play the slot in addition to boundary or field safety. Anything to get Skrine off the field! Geno Stone from Iowa would be a good day three option as well.

I would prefer a CB like Jaylon Johnson or Kristian Fulton too. The pass game (and coverage) matters most in 2020.

If the option were to present itself, trading down would be ideal. Try to pick up another pick or two with all the value at DB and WR. For those interested in a tackle, Ben Bartch is probably there in the late 3rd or 4th, so trading back may give you shot at him.

We are on the same page. Unless someone exceptional falls to 43, i’d Trade 43 for a pick in the mid 50s and add a third rounder. I love Johnson as a CB but my bet is he is off the board before 43. Dantzler from Mississippi State is another CB I like. If the Bears can come out of tonight with Winfield, OL Robert Hunt from Louisiana and TE Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic, i’d be thrilled.

If the Bears can come out of tonight with Winfield, OL Robert Hunt from Louisiana and TE Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic, i’d be thrilled.

That's a good haul.

Picking Hunt would be great. With the new CBA adding the third roster spot for OL, the Bears would have two guys with the ability to play both tackle and guard in Hunt and Ifeadi (even though the later has been less than ideal at tackle) to pair with one of Bars, Coward, or Spriggs. I love that flexibility.

Last edited:
Reactions: corbi296
What about wideouts, guys? There's Allen Robinson and, literally, no one else. Anthony Miller?

What about wideouts, guys? There's Allen Robinson and, literally, no one else. Anthony Miller?

I like our wideouts. Robinson, Miller is a stud if he can stay healthy, Patterson who was badly underutilized by Nagy, Wims and Ridley are both young players poised to step up. Not to mention that Tarik Cohen should be on the field more with Montgomery by lining him up in the slot. I wouldn’t mind another young WR but he would have to be head and shoulders better than available talent at other positions to justify the pick. The Bears have much bigger holes in their depth chart than WR.

Count me in the camp that is high on Antony Miller.

I’d be okay with taking WR at 43 or 50 if there’s a run on DBs and a trade down does not present itself - Denzel Mims, Michael Pittman or Hamler from Penn State.

Considering the depth of the class, I’d rather go WR in the 4th (assuming they secure a pick). KJ Hill (Ohio St) and Tyler Johnson (Minny) should both be available.

I’m certainly no scout, but Johnson reminds me a little of Boyd from Cincinnati. Not flashy, but always gets open. Can play outside or in the slot.

Last edited:
We are on the same page. Unless someone exceptional falls to 43, i’d Trade 43 for a pick in the mid 50s and add a third rounder. I love Johnson as a CB but my bet is he is off the board before 43. Dantzler from Mississippi State is another CB I like. If the Bears can come out of tonight with Winfield, OL Robert Hunt from Louisiana and TE Harrison Bryant from Florida Atlantic, i’d be thrilled.

Bryant is a baller. Someone is going to walk away with a solid player.

While I and some so called experts feel that a OT is there #1 need, a DB and WR follow close behind. Please not another TE. Don't they already have 8 on the roster? Also you can only get a starting QB somewhere in the 1st Round, unless of course you pick the wrong one.

Reactions: ricko654321
I like our wideouts. Robinson, Miller is a stud if he can stay healthy, Patterson who was badly underutilized by Nagy, Wims and Ridley are both young players poised to step up. Not to mention that Tarik Cohen should be on the field more with Montgomery by lining him up in the slot. I wouldn’t mind another young WR but he would have to be head and shoulders better than available talent at other positions to justify the pick. The Bears have much bigger holes in their depth chart than WR.
Point taken, Corbi. I think what this all really points to is just how many holes our beloved Bears have. I'm still hoping - though not hopeful - that Trubisky experiences his awakening this season. Foles figures to get most of the snaps, though, and I'm afraid Trubisky officially becomes a giant swing-and-a-miss by the close of the season, whenever that may be. I've been following the Bears since the early '70's, and I continue to wonder whether they'll have a franchise quarterback at any point during my lifetime. o_O

That was me. Good memory. He camped at NU before his junior year in HS, but it never really went anywhere. His mom was most excited about the school.

He played injured this past year but still won the Jim Thorpe award (and the national championship). He was a projected top 10-15 pick heading into the season. If healthy, he can be a fixture in the secondary for many years. He's smart and athletic. Comes from a good family.

Winfield is also from Houston, in fact from the same suburb (Woodlands) where I live. I asked Randy Bates about him several years ago, and he just shook his head and said "grades". This for a kid from a top public school (Woodlands HS, alma mater of Kevin Mims) and a NFL pedigree. Recruiting at NU is tough.

If a safety is so important, why were none taken in the first round ?

You can find guys to play run support capably on the vet FA market. Dix was serviceable and they should be able to find something similar.

meanwhile,Leno was the most penalized OT last year and Massie is getting old.

That was me. Good memory. He camped at NU before his junior year in HS, but it never really went anywhere. His mom was most excited about the school.

He played injured this past year but still won the Jim Thorpe award (and the national championship). He was a projected top 10-15 pick heading into the season. If healthy, he can be a fixture in the secondary for many years. He's smart and athletic. Comes from a good family.

Winfield is also from Houston, in fact from the same suburb (Woodlands) where I live. I asked Randy Bates about him several years ago, and he just shook his head and said "grades". This for a kid from a top public school (Woodlands HS, alma mater of Kevin Mims) and a NFL pedigree. Recruiting at NU is tough.

Hearing Delpit is sliding a bit. Might be available in Round 3...supposedly has some baggage. No idea what that means, but that’s what one of the South Florida media members was reporting in regards to the Dolphin’s interest.

A common lament of dOSU coaches. /s :rolleyes:

Reactions: NU Houston
Hearing Delpit is sliding a bit. Might be available in Round 3...supposedly has some baggage. No idea what that means, but that’s what one of the South Florida media members was reporting in regards to the Dolphin’s interest.
I don't know. His family's been back in NO for several years now and we haven't kept up as much. Could be the lingering ankle injury. Hopefully he's ok and has a long, prosperous NFL career. It's what he's always wanted.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
I don't know. His family's been back in NO for several years now and we haven't kept up as much. Could be the lingering ankle injury. Hopefully he's ok and has a long, prosperous NFL career. It's what he's always wanted.

I’m kind of hoping he ends up in Miami. Would be cool to watch him over the next few years.

Reactions: NU Houston
Point taken, Corbi. I think what this all really points to is just how many holes our beloved Bears have. I'm still hoping - though not hopeful - that Trubisky experiences his awakening this season. Foles figures to get most of the snaps, though, and I'm afraid Trubisky officially becomes a giant swing-and-a-miss by the close of the season, whenever that may be. I've been following the Bears since the early '70's, and I continue to wonder whether they'll have a franchise quarterback at any point during my lifetime. o_O

Call me crazy but I think the light went on for Trubisky late last year. I think he still has a chance. Since it’s the Bears, they will probably let him go and watch him become a star on another team.

If a safety is so important, why were none taken in the first round ?

You can find guys to play run support capably on the vet FA market. Dix was serviceable and they should be able to find something similar.

meanwhile,Leno was the most penalized OT last year and Massie is getting old.

Dix sucked and also forced the Bears to play Jackson out of position because he is a better tackler than Dix. The Bears get a good in the box safety and they end up improving at two positions because they can play Jackson where he belongs. The Bears desperately need a safety. That being said, I agree it may be easier for the Bears to find a good safety later in the draft. It would not shock me to see them go CB and OL tonight and wait to pick a safety tomorrow.

I think there are some injury concerns and he has developed a reputation as an unwilling tackler. Definitely not what the Bears need.

Dix sucked and also forced the Bears to play Jackson out of position because he is a better tackler than Dix. The Bears get a good in the box safety and they end up improving at two positions because they can play Jackson where he belongs. The Bears desperately need a safety. That being said, I agree it may be easier for the Bears to find a good safety later in the draft. It would not shock me to see them go CB and OL tonight and wait to pick a safety tomorrow.
If there is a good safety on day 3 they will likely draft one. There are guys who will become available this spring who can play run support to free Jackson and his ball skills. One playmaker and a non-liability at safety is a good combo. I agree that Dix sucked (weird way to come out) and I was glad to move on.

Remember that Amos was a 5th rounder. He is a nice player but GB overpaid.

If there is a good safety on day 3 they will likely draft one. There are guys who will become available this spring who can play run support to free Jackson and his ball skills. One playmaker and a non-liability at safety is a good combo. I agree that Dix sucked (weird way to come out) and I was glad to move on.

Remember that Amos was a 5th rounder. He is a nice player but GB overpaid.

There may be guys that become available but the Bears are tight against the Cap. The great thing about rookies is they are locked in on affordable rookie contracts for 4 years. When you give big contracts to guys like Mack and Jackson, you can't make the salary cap work without hitting on draft picks that balance out the salary cap burden .

I’m kind of hoping he ends up in Miami. Would be cool to watch him over the next few years.
I watched many of his games during his three years at LSU. Day 1 starter in Aranda's complicated, brilliant defense. He played all over the field, sideline to sideline, and also excellent in getting to the QB on blitzes. Led the team in both INTs and sacks in 2018, which is pretty amazing.

We'll see what happens. Maybe he developed a reputation as a soft tackler, as Corbi speculates. I don't know.

Btw did we offer Justin Jefferson. Saw that on his list as he was not highly recruited. It also said Nichols State and one other college. Both were in Louisiana and did not know whether they mixed up with Northwestern State in Louisiana. If we did just imagine our offense

If Pace doesn’t trade back in, best bet may be the Utah safety or Geno Stone from Iowa tomorrow.

With Chinn off the board, probably best to stand pat. Ashyton Davis is a fun player, but too much like Clinton Dix for my liking.

If Pace doesn’t trade back in, best bet may be the Utah safety or Geno Stone from Iowa tomorrow.

With Chinn off the board, probably best to stand pat. Ashyton Davis is a fun player, but too much like Clinton Dix for my liking.

There is still safety talent on the board that I like. Stone, the Blackmon kid from Utah, Wallace from Clemson, Brooks from Maryland, the Gilman kid from ND. Not sure fire starters but thy have a chance.

There is still safety talent on the board that I like. Stone, the Blackmon kid from Utah, Wallace from Clemson, Brooks from Maryland, the Gilman kid from ND. Not sure fire starters but thy have a chance.

Small school edge and corner in the 5th...

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT