ADVERTISEMENT

Great coaching, great playing in H2

ricko654321

Nov 15, 2006
That was an ugly end to the first half. But we bounced back in a big way. Early H2 it was back and forth, we started making a couple shots, they made some back... I know many here (including me) have been critical of coach CC, but IMO what really turned the tide was that stretch...

We went zone, 3-2, brought in 3 guards and really pressured them on the perimeter. That changed the momentum of the game. They were unable to adjust. And then on offense I don't know where this has been but all of a sudden we started attacking the offensive boards like absolute animals. Whether it was Roper, Simmons, Nance, Audige, or Young, we hammered the boards. The refs (who had a tough game to call with all the physicality, but overall did pretty well) were letting both sides play, and we in turn made sure that we made Nebraska battle for every defensive rebound. Tacking back to the initial starting point of this paragraph, once the zone had run its course, Collins smartly pivoted and brought back in Young and went to man the rest of the way (he knows that we can't play an effective 3-2 zone with Young as his foot speed on the baseline is way slower for close outs).

I'm not a big Collins fan, as anyone who follows this board should know. But tonight he made in-game adjustments that changed the course of the game, and then kept one step ahead of the opponent the entire way. And over the course of the game tonight we had 3-4 excellent timeout plays that created great looks for our team which they converted (the Nance kick out open 3 from the wing and the Boo screen then down screen for the screener for an open 3 from the top of the key were the most obvious but not the only ones). My only criticism was that he played Chase too much in the middle part of the 2H (like 10 to 4 minute period) where he made some very bad decisions and was actively hurting us. He took a couple bad shots late in the game but those absolutely were not his fault - the offense had a chance and then broke down and a teammate handed him the ball with 5 or less seconds on the clock so he did his best to get an effort toward the rim, that's definitely not on him. As always, on the defensive side he was a positive contributor.

Lastly, just want to say that I and others have criticized Boo for his half hearted defense at various times throughout the year. The first half he was downright horrible today, on both sides of the ball. But in the second half as we gained momentum he started to ride with the team - that 3 from the corner off the Elyjah kick was enormous. And then another 3 from the top of the key. But the biggest play of his game was stepping up to take a charge. A much maligned player on the defensive side of the ball, that stepped up to make a game winning defensive play. It was great.

Great coaching in the second half, and the players stepped up in response to win the game. I don't think "survive and advance" is the right phrase given I don't have much expectation for where we might be advancing to.... but I would say "survive and let's play another day". For me as a fan, and more importantly for the seniors, I am very happy with that outcome. Heck of a game, heck of a win. Go Cats, and let's fight Iowa for 40 minutes. Can't wait to watch tomorrow. Who knows what might happen.

GO CATS

The down-the-stretch (say, 6 mins to 1 min left) lineup was Young, Nance, Roper, Boo, Audige, with Audige often playing on the ball. Audige took a few bailout shots (ugly ones, too), but it so nice to see him drive the lane when it really really really counted.

CCC (or James) drew up a few out of bound plays that worked to perfection, and Simmons albatross arms were deployed at the game’s key stretch as NU got back in it with him at the top of the 3-2.

Very satisfying win.

And, based on CCC’s post-game interview, it sounds like Battle and Boo have a great coach-player/brother-brother relationship and, if CCC is back, we’ll see #0 running point.

And, with a few exception, Roper looked more assertive on offense than he has at just about any point this season.

Credit to the Cats, credit to the staff. Let’s do something crazy on Thursday.

And, holy jeez, Beran got the offense-defense call for the final possession despite being glued to the bench for most of the second half, and it was Beran who sealed win with the late swat. (I could stand for him to wait until after the buzzer to celebrate, but all’s well that ends well.)

My favorite part of the game was when the PA announcer introduced Fred Ho-borg.

Last edited:
The down-the-stretch (say, 6 mins to 1 min left) lineup was Young, Nance, Roper, Boo, Audige, with Audige often playing on the ball. Audige took a few bailout shots (ugly ones, too), but it so nice to see him drive the lane when it really really really counted.

CCC (or James) drew up a few out of bound plays that worked to perfection, and Simmons albatross arms were deployed at the game’s key stretch as NU got back in it with him at the top of the 3-2.

Very satisfying win.

And, based on CCC’s post-game interview, it sounds like Battle and Boo have a great coach-player/brother-brother relationship and, if CCC is back, we’ll see #0 running point.

And, with a few exception, Roper looked more assertive on offense than he has at just about any point this season.

Credit to the Cats, credit to the staff. Let’s do something crazy on Thursday.

And, holy jeez, Beran got the offense-defense call for the final possession despite being glued to the bench for most of the second half, and it was Beran who sealed win with the late swat. (I could stand for him to wait until after the buzzer to celebrate, but all’s well that ends well.)

My favorite part of the game was when the PA announcer introduced Fred Ho-borg.
I was impressed with the scrappiness of our young guys down the stretch too. Both Simmons and Roper had their moments. Starting to be more assertive on occasion. Our depth might be an asset today on day 2 - Greer had a crappy game and barely played so is available today. But for that to matter we’d need to hang with Iowa to make it a close one down the stretch. We will see.

So we got off script and won. That kind of sums it.

Want to bet the 1st half script is the same today?

How do you explain our first halves in the first two Nebraska games vs. yesterday’s? Shall we just ignore those two scripts?

In the first 2 games against Nebraska...

Young & Williams went 30 - 14 over about 19 minutes.
Nance & Beran went 64 - 49 over about 32 minutes.
Young & Beran went 19 - 20 over 11.5 minutes.
Nance & Williams went 31 - 24 over 13.5 minutes.
Nance and Young did not see each other on the court.

The only one of those pairings that is routinely ineffective is Young and Beran.

Last night...

Young and Beran got beat 14-1 in 4 minutes in the first half, creating a large hole for us.

Nance and Beran were 22-22 in 13 minutes.
Young and Williams were 10-8 in 6.8 minutes.
Nance and Williams were 25-18 in 9.5 minutes.
Young and Nance were 13-7 over the last 7 minutes of the game.

So... lineups that work... worked. Lineups that don't work... didn't work.

Thought so.
So your argument is that, because we had good first halves, in two conference games, against the, arguably, worst team in the league, we should believe our 1st half script works? Well, 5-13 record in other games (or 4-13 if we do not count the MSU game as the infallible script could not be deployed). Let's make up reasons why Young should be sitting because he would be dominated by Rebraca today. Or that Beran needs to be out there otherwise Murray might get more than 23 and 18, or whatever he got against us the last time around.

You will get your wish, you will see the 1st half script. I have zero doubts. We might even see Young sit down for the last 10 minutes of the game. That surely has worked for us. Even after veering off script gave us a win while crawling back from the brink of disaster. Pound the rock baby.

So your argument is that, because we had good first halves, in two conference games, against the, arguably, worst team in the league, we should believe our 1st half script works? Well, 5-13 record in other games (or 4-13 if we do not count the MSU game as the infallible script could not be deployed). Let's make up reasons why Young should be sitting because he would be dominated by Rebraca today. Or that Beran needs to be out there otherwise Murray might get more than 23 and 18, or whatever he got against us the last time around.

You will get your wish, you will see the 1st half script. I have zero doubts. We might even see Young sit down for the last 10 minutes of the game. That surely has worked for us. Even after veering off script gave us a win while crawling back from the brink of disaster. Pound the rock baby.
Don't bother with that guy.

No - your argument was clearly that we got off script and that was the reason we won. While it arguably may have helped here (the things we tried were not new), that logic does not hold for other games.

No - your argument was clearly that we got off script and that was the reason we won. While it arguably may have helped here (the things we tried were not new), that logic does not hold for other games.
You do not know that. It has not been tried.

What you know is that the script does not work. You have a whole season (actually 2) of evidence of that.

Move on to the next excuse. I like the one about us having the lowest talent level in the league. CC: overachiever

What you know is that the script does not work. You have a whole season (actually 2) of evidence of that.

Move on to the next excuse. I like the one about us having the lowest talent level in the league. CC: overachiever
We don’t have the lowest talent in the league, but it’s in the bottom third. Ironically, Iowa is not a team that clearly out talents NU with the exception of one player. Unfortunately that player is good enough to be going to the league.

The script has worked to suggest this is one of the top 5 most competitive teams we have ever fielded. I’ll somehow try to turn that into an “excuse” and you can feel free to go back searching and mining and pining for your savior mid-major coach replacement.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT