ADVERTISEMENT

Greg Mattison leaving Michigan for Ohio State

OSU drops 62 points on Michigan, and then hires Michigan's defensive coordinator? How do you top that? Hire Rutgers' offensive coordinator? (They scored 3 on the Buckeyes.)

Mattison was not DC at Michigan.

Day brought Mattison in to replace Schiano as DC at OSU. Day was probably uncomfortable with a more accomplished coach like Schiano on his own staff. I think OSU is worse off because of this move. It’s probably time for Schiano to lead his own program once again. A spot like Temple would make a lot of sense for him.

Last edited:
BTW, I am not a Mattison fan, but I find these players reaction humorous. The guy is leaving for a promotion and to a school that has clearly dominated them. They preach loyalty yet where were these players when Gary, Bush, Higdon and others sat out their bowl game shellacking. Show me their tweets about the loyalty of their teammates to the team. The closest it came was when Fabio said he would never sit out.

Day brought Mattison in to replace Schiano as DC at OSU. Day was probably uncomfortable with a more accomplished coach like Schiano on his own staff. I think OSU is worse off because of this move. It’s probably time for Schiano to lead his own program once again. Maybe a spot like Temple would make a lot of sense for him.
At least Hank has competition for the oldest DC in the Big.

Schiano is a very good coach. Some will never forgive him for Penn State so finding the right fit might be tough.

Day brought Mattison in to replace Schiano as DC at OSU. Day was probably uncomfortable with a more accomplished coach like Schiano on his own staff. I think OSU is worse off because of this move. It’s probably time for Schiano to lead his own program once again. A spot like Temple would make a lot of sense for him.

If Day was so insecure and threatened by an ex-head coach, rid of Kevin Wilson, especially since he like Day is more of an offensive mind? I think it’s more an issue of every new coach wants to bring in some of their own guys, and Schiano is looking for a head coaching position. While he would probably like to remain at OSU until an opportunity comes his way, it makes it worse in OSU to be recruiting with a lame duck coach. Now when they try to recruit a defensive player, that player knows the coach will likely be there at least for his first year.

If Day was so insecure and threatened by an ex-head coach, rid of Kevin Wilson, especially since he like Day is more of an offensive mind? I think it’s more an issue of every new coach wants to bring in some of their own guys, and Schiano is looking for a head coaching position. While he would probably like to remain at OSU until an opportunity comes his way, it makes it worse in OSU to be recruiting with a lame duck coach. Now when they try to recruit a defensive player, that player knows the coach will likely be there at least for his first year.

Fair point on Wilson. Are we sure he is staying on staff?

If this was in fact the issue (and I doubt it was), I would argue that Schiano is a competent leader/head coach, whereas I don't honestly think the same can be said about Wilson. He's a career bridesmaid.

But Schiano was successful. Wilson, not so much

If he lives that long. Starting new job at 69

Sounds like there will be only one boss - Day - with a court full of lieutenants, no captains. Might work for awhile but one day those lieutenants may create a lot of unhealthy internal competition. Cannot believe Wilson is long for that staff, particularly coaching running backs. This guy invented creative passing attacks.

Neither were particularly successful as HCs, which is why they are currently coordinators.

I beg to differ. Schiano was incredibly successful at Rutgers. His mistake was to fall prey to the lures of the NFL. Both Schiano and the Rutgers football program would be in very different places iff Schiano had stayed.

I beg to differ. Schiano was incredibly successful at Rutgers. His mistake was to fall prey to the lures of the NFL. Both Schiano and the Rutgers football program would be in very different places iff Schiano had stayed.

The “had Ray Rice” portion of his Rutgers career was pretty nice.

Otherwise it was mostly “made somewhat relevant in the Big East on occasion.” Not a small accomplishment per se, but not wildly successful either.

Plus flaming out upon taking an NFL job and coaching high school for two years doesn’t do favors for his reputation as a HC.

Neither were particularly successful as HCs, which is why they are currently coordinators.
Schiano was a fairly good HC. His tenure at Rutgers likely got them into the BIG. He turned around a program that had a hard time winning even one game a year and turned them into a program that had a winning record 6 of last 7 years including 5 of the last 6 years with at least 8 wins. Prior to his arrival they were 11-44 under the coach he replaced and really slid after he left. Putting him in the same category as Wilson is not really fair.

Otherwise it was mostly “made somewhat relevant in the Big East on occasion.” Not a small accomplishment per se, but not wildly successful either.

Plus flaming out upon taking an NFL job and coaching high school for two years doesn’t do favors for his reputation as a HC.
To be fair, he inherited an absolute dumpster fire at RU. He won 5 consecutive bowl games, ended a season ranked as high as 12th, and is the RU winningest coach. The parallels with Fitz are uncanny. He had success that no other coach before or after has had.

Reactions: hdhntr1

5 of last 6 years they had at least 8 wins and 6 of last 7 with at least 7 including 9 his last year. That would appear to be longer than "had Ray Rice". That is being pretty successful at Rutgers as Mr Ash I am sure, could attest.

As far as not doing well in NFL, most college coaches do not do well in NFL. And most job openings in NFL are because previous coach did not do so well for example Raheem Morris was 4-12 prior to Schiano. Lovie followed him and was able to win only 2 games the following year. Sorry but cannot hold that against him.

Mattison will be Co-DC. Jeff Hafley, DB coach for the 49ers will also be Co-DC. OSU will also replace LB coach Bill Davis and CB coach Taver Johnson.

If he lives that long. Starting new job at 69

I don’t know Mattison’s desire to coach long-term, or his health situation, but I’m thinking he plans to coach at least 2-3 years since he made the move. That’s as much of a guarantee as you can give to any prospective recruit. At that point maybe one of the younger guys they’ve brought in can elevate to coordinator, or Day proves he can win at OSU making it more alluring to another big name defensive coach.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT