ADVERTISEMENT

Growth

d'son d

Gold Member
Dec 18, 2007
Last week the Gator Bowl was on the BTN network and I stayed to watch it...again. What was interesting was the size of Vitale and Lowry in that game. Both of them were much smaller compared to this past year, reflecting on both the ability of our recruiters to find talent (as has been mentioned here numerous times) and have them grow into their potential both in size and skill. Not every recruit, but enough that the glass is more than half full. With the influx of the current class and their size, I can't wait for them to reach their full potential. Yeah, the word potential is sometimes the kiss of death, but that's all we have to go on at his stage.

Worth noting that Lowry and Vitale were among the lowest rated players in the 2012 class--both Rivals 2 stars with 247 composite scores below 80.

Not saying that ratings are bunk, but they do overlook kids. Just glad our staff is good at finding these types.

Worth noting that Lowry and Vitale were among the lowest rated players in the 2012 class--both Rivals 2 stars with 247 composite scores below 80.

Not saying that ratings are bunk, but they do overlook kids. Just glad our staff is good at finding these types.

Correction Hungary Jack: Lowry was a high 3 star by Rivals, falling just .10 below 4 star status. And he had offers from the likes of Iowa, another program that does a great job of evaluating prospects.

GOUNUII

Vitale was more of a tweener and Lowry was pretty highly regarded

NVH was a 2 star that we got a late pick up of who ended up being a multi year started with all conference recognition.

Correction Hungary Jack: Lowry was a high 3 star by Rivals, falling just .10 below 4 star status. And he had offers from the likes of Iowa, another program that does a great job of evaluating prospects.

GOUNUII
Thanks for pointing that out. I looked at the commitment list in 247, and it showed Lowry with a very low composite. It must have used data from before when his ratings were updated.

Anyone who watched Vitale play his senior year in HS would know he was much more than a "tweener" and a very good get for NU.

Anyone who watched Vitale play his senior year in HS would know he was much more than a "tweener" and a very good get for NU.
That's the rub. Our guys did see him and did see the potential . The rating services had him as a 2 star and I don't believe he had any other P5 offers. A lot people didn't do their homework then.

That's the rub. Our guys did see him and did see the potential . The rating services had him as a 2 star and I don't believe he had any other P5 offers. A lot people didn't do their homework then.

I do not look at many highlight videos but I did see Vitale's. I thought he was the real deal and even dreamed up a wingback position for him so he could carry the ball a little bit. Superback became his position with ball carrying an afterthought

We have a history of picking up "unknowns" and walk-ons who have slipped through the cracks and failed to be rated. How that happens is quite easy because it is a game of numbers. There are 50 states with football in high school and probably over 100 000 players. Only a handful are rated 5* and a few handfuls 4*. It is probably common for every school to have a few "non ranked" players who achieve greatness. NU has had a few but Barry Gardner always comes to mind as does "Batman" as well as others this board can name. Recognition of talent is the ability to see beyond the size and find the heart and drive of the person. Winning, of course, makes the choices better for us and for the recruit.
Waiting to see now how many more sign on, and if they will remain throughout the recruiting process.

NVH was a 2 star that we got a late pick up of who ended up being a multi year started with all conference recognition.
NVH was simply an AWESOME player and will always be won of my favorite Cats, I especially loved the year he played with a cast on his arm and still held his own.

Thanks for pointing that out. I looked at the commitment list in 247, and it showed Lowry with a very low composite. It must have used data from before when his ratings were updated.
well, Hungary Jack (sic), you can always count on GoUNUII to Czech on your accuracy

The thing is, Vitale was NOT some little-known player from a backwater program. Wheaton Warrenville South has been one of the most successful programs in the State, and Vitale practically dragged his team into the championship game single handedly his senior year. He was very well known. I also think colleges saw him as a tweener.

From what I recall, Fuessel also dragged his team to the state championship and received considerable publicity for his talent and determination. His having to quit football was very disappointing to me.

I watched Vitale a lot in high school and think you may be a little unfair to those who missed on him. He was committed to NU before his senior year when he really blossomed. Up until that time I don't believe he ever played RB. At least I only recall seeing him at a receiver before his senior year. Even with his senior year performance I would not be convinced he was a P5 player at tailback. I think he did show a lot of athleticism and the potential to fit somewhere but in my mind the question still existed as to where. NU only offered hem after he worked out at camp in a couple of different positions, including both superback and linebacker as I recall.

Reactions: Gladeskat
Not a chance to be a tailback but it was pretty obvious to me that he was a versatile athlete who would find his way on to the field at any number of positions at the next level. That really is the point about all of this. It really is in the eye of the beholder.

The position we put him in was a hybrid so it worked out well but he was short for a TE and tall for a RB and he was a bit slower than a typical WR. His size did not fit the norms so he was a tweener which is likely why he was less heavily recruited

Not a chance to be a tailback but it was pretty obvious to me that he was a versatile athlete who would find his way on to the field at any number of positions at the next level. That really is the point about all of this. It really is in the eye of the beholder.
We had a position for him that could use his attributes but most teams did not. FOR standard positions he was a tweener but luckily we had a position that fit him pretty well.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT