ADVERTISEMENT

Had a Nice Visit With Gary Barnett Today

GOUNUII

Gold Member
Jan 4, 2004
Had the pleasure of playing Whisper Rock today and ran into Gary after our round. I swear the guy still looks like he could pass for 50. Maybe 55. We talked about the old days of course and what he accomplished. When I mentioned my opinion that NU's current success in football and hoops can be traced to his achievements, he seemed genuinely appreciative. I know Gary's dream seasons were a while ago, but I hate to think where we would be in our flagship programs had he not taken the worst job in college football nearly 25 years ago.

GOUNUII

Had the pleasure of playing Whisper Rock today and ran into Gary after our round. I swear the guy still looks like he could pass for 50. Maybe 55. We talked about the old days of course and what he accomplished. When I mentioned my opinion that NU's current success in football and hoops can be traced to his achievements, he seemed genuinely appreciative. I know Gary's dream seasons were a while ago, but I hate to think where we would be in our flagship programs had he not taken the worst job in college football nearly 25 years ago.

GOUNUII
Great guy, built the foundation for our current success. I have reminded him of that every time I have seen him as well. With hindsight, Gary was uniquely qualified as a turnaround expert for our program. Plenty of great coaches in the profession but not many are equipped for turnarounds.

I agree, he set the foundation and made people believe it was possible. His success built a foundation for Randy and Fitz to compete for kids who saw success, and Fitz's success in football in getting kids and resources set the pattern for basketball, commitment to a coach and facilities to make basketball successful in the long run.

I have, what I think is, a really nice story about the kind of person Gary Barnett is.

A couple of years after Gary left for Colorado, my brother-in-law was the offensive coordinator at Iowa State.

That particular year, Colorado was playing at Iowa State so we drove over for the game. My brother-in-law got us field passes so we were on the field during warm-ups and during the game.

I watched both teams during the pre-game warm-ups and wanted to say hello to Gary, but also didn't want to interfere with his attention to his team. So I kinda moved over to the area that his team would take to their locker room, thinking I could at least say hello as he passed by. As Colorado came off the field, Gary passed by and then did an immediate 180 and came back to me and said, "Bill, what are you doing here?" I explained that my brother-in-law was the Iowa State OC, etc. and he remarked that they (Iowa State) would be a tough out. We then wished each other well and that was the last time I saw him in person.

Now here's the remarkable thing - I had only met him on, probably, 5 occasions over two years ago - and only spoke to him breifly on those occasions - YET HE REMEMBERED MY FIRST NAME.

That was the type of person he was - and why many of us will always remember him positively!

I was always bad with names, so your story amazes me even more. I have known some people like Barnett and I'm impressed every time.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

GOUNUII

Great guy, built the foundation for our current success. I have reminded him of that every time I have seen him as well. With hindsight, Gary was uniquely qualified as a turnaround expert for our program. Plenty of great coaches in the profession but not many are equipped for turnarounds.

I have, what I think is, a really nice story about the kind of person Gary Barnett is.

A couple of years after Gary left for Colorado, my brother-in-law was the offensive coordinator at Iowa State.

That particular year, Colorado was playing at Iowa State so we drove over for the game. My brother-in-law got us field passes so we were on the field during warm-ups and during the game.

I watched both teams during the pre-game warm-ups and wanted to say hello to Gary, but also didn't want to interfere with his attention to his team. So I kinda moved over to the area that his team would take to their locker room, thinking I could at least say hello as he passed by. As Colorado came off the field, Gary passed by and then did an immediate 180 and came back to me and said, "Bill, what are you doing here?" I explained that my brother-in-law was the Iowa State OC, etc. and he remarked that they (Iowa State) would be a tough out. We then wished each other well and that was the last time I saw him in person.

Now here's the remarkable thing - I had only met him on, probably, 5 occasions over two years ago - and only spoke to him breifly on those occasions - YET HE REMEMBERED MY FIRST NAME.

That was the type of person he was - and why many of us will always remember him positively!

EXPECT VICTORY!

Those are great personal accounts providing "belief with evidence" as to what a genuine and thoughtful person Gary Barnett is. My own encounters were on a lesser level but memorable to me.

The one time I recall speaking with him in person was at a book signing at Norris where he also autographed some footballs for me. He was most gracious. I also had an opportunity to photograph him close-up at a Pep Rally on North Campus that was also attended by the then reigning NU Alum Miss America. The other semi-in-person encounter was at the pre-game Gridiron luncheon at Harry Carrey's before the Oklahoma game at the beginning of the 1997 season. I recall his response to a booster's question about the game plan when he quipped that the plan was "to get the ball to #5." Ironically, that was the game where #5 D'Wayne Bates broke his ankle and fibula. I have always wondered how different that 1997 Season may have gone, along with the Coach's own tenure at NU, but for that injury.

An added manifestation of Gary Barnett's thoughtfulness was evidenced by his note of thanks he sent me for a print that I had sent him after the 1996 season had ended. In my letter accompanying the print I had written, "Please accept the enclosed print titled, "Visions of Victory" as a token of appreciation from an Alaska fan for both having accomplished another winning season at Northwestern and for all you have done for NU. May you and the team continue to share the "Visions of Victory" in "Expecting Victory" ....."

In response Gary was kind enough to let me know that his wife had framed it and he added, "I think I'll keep it in my office." [The Print was from a painting by Alaska artist Charles Gause which depicted a musher and his team competing in the Iditarod Sled Dog Race. The print, signed by the artist, and the late "Father of the Iditarod" racer Joe Redington, Sr. was the the 10th (and last by Artist Gause) Official Iditarod Fundraising Print. It was issued to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of "The Last Great Race." During those 10 years over one million dollars was raised from the sale of Gause's limited edition Iditarod prints.]

click to enlarge
IMG_6988_zps7bq835tu.jpg
IMG_6996_zpsm6oodxu4.jpg

Last edited:

GOUNUII

EXPECT VICTORY!

Those are great personal accounts providing "belief with evidence" as to what a genuine and thoughtful person Gary Barnett is. My own encounters were on a lesser level but memorable to me.

The one time I recall speaking with him in person was at a book signing at Norris where he also autographed some footballs for me. He was most gracious. I also had an opportunity to photograph him close-up at a Pep Rally on North Campus that was also attended by the then reigning NU Alum Miss America. The other semi-in-person encounter was at the pre-game Gridiron luncheon at Harry Carrey's before the Oklahoma game at the beginning of the 1997 season. I recall his response to a booster's question about the game plan when he quipped that the plan was "to get the ball to #3." Ironically, that was the game where #3 D'Wayne Bates broke his ankle and fibula. I have always wondered how different that 1997 Season may have gone, along with the Coach's own tenure at NU, but for that injury.

An added manifestation of Gary Barnett's thoughtfulness was evidenced by his note of thanks he sent me for a print that I had sent him after the 1996 season had ended. In my letter accompanying the print I had written, "Please accept the enclosed print titled, "Visions of Victory" as a token of appreciation from an Alaska fan for both having accomplished another winning season at Northwestern and for all you have done for NU. May you and the team continue to share the "Visions of Victory" in "Expecting Victory" ....."

In response Gary was kind enough to let me know that his wife had framed it and he added, "I think I'll keep it in my office." [The Print was from a painting by Alaska artist Charles Gause which depicted a musher and his team competing in the Iditarod Sled Dog Race. The print, signed by the artist, and the late "Father of the Iditarod" racer Joe Redington, Sr. was the the 10th (and last by Artist Gause) Official Iditarod Fundraising Print. It was issued to commemorate the 25th Anniversary of "The Last Great Race." During those 10 years over one million dollars was raised from the sale of Gause's limited edition Iditarod prints.]

click to enlarge
IMG_6988_zps7bq835tu.jpg
IMG_6996_zpsm6oodxu4.jpg

Nice story, Alaska. One minor correction: D'Wayne Bates wore No. 5 for the Cats.

Reactions: cidsports
I like the NU football stationery.

Just for comparison, here is the current versus the vintage NU football stationary. It looks like the stylized Northwestern "N" has carried over.

IMG_6997_zpslbruurr0.jpg

Last edited:
My dad went to Colorado and I flew back to join him for the CU Buff Club luncheon on 9/29/00 and the game the Buffs played in Boulder the following day. After Barnett completed his talk and the official program had finished, I walked up, introduced myself as an NU alum and began to thank him for what he did at NU.

Before I could complete my sentence, his eyes widened and he said in an excited voice, "did you SEE that game last Saturday!" He proceeded to bubble on about how excited he was to see the guys he recruited upset #7 Wisconsin in Madison in that thriller. CU was 0-3 at the time and in for a rough year but he was most kind and genuine.

I returned the next year to see his Buffs throttle previously undefeated Nebraska 62-36 in a game that unfolded in a way that, for me, was nearly as unthinkable as NU's 1995 win at Notre Dame. Great guy and great coach.

My dad went to Colorado and I flew back to join him for the CU Buff Club luncheon on 9/29/00 and the game the Buffs played in Boulder the following day. After Barnett completed his talk and the official program had finished, I walked up, introduced myself as an NU alum and began to thank him for what he did at NU.

Before I could complete my sentence, his eyes widened and he said in an excited voice, "did you SEE that game last Saturday!" He proceeded to bubble on about how excited he was to see the guys he recruited upset #7 Wisconsin in Madison in that thriller. CU was 0-3 at the time and in for a rough year but he was most kind and genuine.

I returned the next year to see his Buffs throttle previously undefeated Nebraska 62-36 in a game that unfolded in a way that, for me, was nearly as unthinkable as NU's 1995 win at Notre Dame. Great guy and great coach.
Still feel he got a raw deal at CU. I am shocked he never got another opportunity

When I was a student, my hometown Detroit News had an idiot columnist write a bunch of hot takes about NU could never compete. I wrote a letter to the editor... sent a copy of what was printed to GB. He responded with a nice handwritten card (similar to what's pictured above) saying he appreciated the support.

I saw him in Vegas about 5 years ago (he was there to do radio for the bowl game). I said hi and we had a nice chat, he said how much he always appreciated NUMB and our support for the team... really nice interaction with him...

Good guy, it's a shame what happened, but I'm glad he's part of the NU football family again.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT