ADVERTISEMENT

Happy 100th birthday Otto Graham -

Eurocat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
The Daily has a nice write up.

Reactions: Arlcatsfan
Saw him play in person when the Browns came to Soldier Field to play the Bears in (I think) 1954. The Bears and the Chicago press treated the Browns like a minor league team. Everyone was predicting a huge win for the Bears. As it turned out, the Browns were for real and they rolled he favored Bears.

It was a unique experience. That summer, I was a lifeguard at North Avenue Beach employed by the Chicago Park District. For some great reason, all of the North Avenue guards were given field passes to the game by the Park District, of course, on the Bears sideline. Anyway, when the Browns came off the field at the half and the end of the game, they were so close to us that we could actually slap hands. When Otto ran by, he had a huge bloody gash on his cheek (it was at least 2 inches long, and looked to be deep) and his uniform was pretty bloody, as were several of the Browns. Can't remember if face masks were worn then or not. I didn't see what the Bears looked like but imagine it was much of the same as the game was pretty chippy at times. Anyhow, one of the great memories I have of that game is that they let us catch the extra points in the end zone at the north end. We had to give the ball back, but a huge thrill nonetheless.

I remember a lot of the Browns - Mac Speedy, Dante Lavelli, Marion Motley, Lou Groza, Dub Jones. Speedy and Lavellie were their ends (this was before wideouts and the spread). I think Groza was a tackle and a terrific place kicker. Motley was the fullback (he was a load) and I think Jones was a halfback. That was an excellent football team, and Graham could throw any kind of ball. He and Speedy and Lavelli had 90 degree sideline outs down to a science. Graham would just put a soft-touch-arc on the ball to just clear the DB, and Lavelli and Speedy would catch it, and immediately go out of bounds. Almost indefensible. Graham could also throw BB's when he needed to. Overall, one of the BEST pro QBs I've ever seen in person.

The experience some 65 years ago is one I'll never forget. I can still see Otto's face today.

Great story, the stuff of legends. Thanks for sharing with us.

Otto the last coach to beat an NFL champ in the Chicago All Star Game

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT