ADVERTISEMENT

Has anyone considered not having Green, Green, and Larkin?

Rebel_

Dec 20, 2001
Upland bird hunting paradise...
Gentlemen and Women,
Three experienced men that would seriously enhance our offense. I don't like all that McCall does, but it would be one hell of alot better if those three fine athletes were on board. If your corporation lost its top three executives to retirement or serious injury with little time to restructure, you might not be quite the business structure that you once were. (Thorson wasn't bad people)

My argument to that is, that other teams loose their top 3 to 7 players each year, and yet don't sink to unacceptable levels of play. And I'm not just talking about OSU. Happens all the time in the Big 10, and every team has to deal with it.

Gentlemen and Women,
Three experienced men that would seriously enhance our offense. I don't like all that McCall does, but it would be one hell of alot better if those three fine athletes were on board. If your corporation lost its top three executives to retirement or serious injury with little time to restructure, you might not be quite the business structure that you once were. (Thorson wasn't bad people)
Life is not static. If it was I would have loved to stay at age 20 forever. But it ain't gonna ghappen. The players only have 4 a( okay, sometimes 6) to compete for old NU and then it's off to the outside world and the next step in life. Most will go onto real life while a few stay children and play a game for money for a while. and then they get to be an adult like the rest of us.

Gentlemen and Women,
Well guess the two Green's could have eligibility this season but one got hurt and the other quit football. Thorson used up his eligibility a medical condition forced Larkin to retire from playing. Every team needs to replace guys each season but looks like NU's plan was faulty.

Every college team loses a big chunk of players every offseason. Coaches are responsible for replenishing the roster and developing talent. There is no excuse for having one of the 10 worst offenses out of 120+ teams. Clayton was recruited to NU in 2014... and in those 5 plus years not a single QB was brought in or developed to even be a competent starter. (yes Green was arguably the best QB on the current roster but how come HJ started the first game when both were healthy... couldn’t have looked much better than HJ did).

Reactions: Fitz51
Not a trio like that that you counted on being the backbone of 2019. A totally different situation than losing 7-10 seniors. We lost them plus three fine leader/athletes.
Weird that you counted on Thorson and Larkin to be the 2019 backbone.

Gentlemen and Women,

Sir,

You overlook the fact that every team in college football go through similar replacement issues on a yearly basis, some more severe than others. It's an intrinsic part of college football.

Cheers.

Reactions: FightNorthwestern
Sir,

You overlook the fact that every team in college football go through similar replacement issues on a yearly basis, some more severe than others. It's an intrinsic part of college football.

Cheers.
This is a jolly good post.

Sir,

Cheers.
Really?
Provide me some examples of where a P5 team lost their veteran QB, RB, and TE and didn't suffer. ???

Really?
Provide me some examples of where a P5 team lost their veteran QB, RB, and TE and didn't suffer. ???
Penn State lost their QB, RB, and WR to the NFL, then lost other QB Tommy Stevens to transfer. They had 11 returning starters just like us.

Really?
We didnt lose our starting RB, Bowser is with us

No excuse to be the worst. None.

Lou (only), if I am beating this drum too loudly, please say so

Penn State lost their QB, RB, and WR to the NFL, then lost other QB Tommy Stevens to transfer. They had 11 returning starters just like us.

They didn't lose Hamler, who is one of the most elusive receivers in the country and basically was responsible for beating Michigan. They have issues with their OL and running game. Their defense doesn't get the credit it deserves.

Reactions: Rebel_
My argument to that is, that other teams loose their top 3 to 7 players each year, and yet don't sink to unacceptable levels of play. And I'm not just talking about OSU. Happens all the time in the Big 10, and every team has to deal with it.

1) Yes, the offense is flat-out bad this year. You'll get no argument from me on that.

2) NU basically was playing Ohio State with our third-string QB and minus its best wide receiver. Point out another team in the B1G that will do well against this year's Buckeyes under similar circumstances.

Athletes that could have been on the roster this year. Stevens got beat out and transferred to play for old PSO OC at Mississippi State. Lost to NFL don't count. Got anymore?

1) Yes, the offense is flat-out bad this year. You'll get no argument from me on that.

2) NU basically was playing Ohio State with our third-string QB and minus its best wide receiver. Point out another team in the B1G that will do well against this year's Buckeyes under similar circumstances.
Leave out the OSU game and explain the bad offense in the rest of the games, now that we know WI, MSU, Neb and Stanford are mediocre or imposters

Leave out the OSU game and explain the bad offense in the rest of the games, now that we know WI, MSU, Neb and Stanford are mediocre or imposters

1) I said the offense was bad and that you'd get no argument from me about it. I thought that was about as clear as a statement gets. It really isn't hard to explain. The line is so-so, our best back and two of the QBs have been banged up, and we don't have receivers who can get separation.

2) I specifically referred to the Ohio State game because we were playing it under the circumstances we were playing it, so, no, I'm not going to leave out the Ohio State game.

3) We haven't had Green, our most experienced QB, for basically the entire season, so his absence does apply to some of those losses. It's certainly possible he could have made a difference in a game such as Nebraska.

And Wisconsin got caught looking past Illinois, played a lousy game, and paid the price. But that is a pretty good football team. Ask Michigan and MSU.

Reactions: Rebel_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT