ADVERTISEMENT

Hate Week! Jump Around edition

Yeah, worst one ever. He used his hate week on Wisconsin to trash a Northwestern tradition by using sarcasm.

Yeah, worst one ever. He used his hate week on Wisconsin to trash a Northwestern tradition by using sarcasm.
Not everyone will like every edition. I think he might argue that our "tradition" isn't really much of a tradition. Read the article linked on the preamble to the video.

Not everyone will like every edition. I think he might argue that our "tradition" isn't really much of a tradition. Read the article linked on the preamble to the video.
Yes, I got it. He doesn't like Hands Up in the Air and wants it put down. Instead of hating on Wisconsin, he hated on the NU tradition, but switched around all his opinions about Hands Up in the Air and said it about Jump Around.

Yes, I got it. He doesn't like Hands Up in the Air and wants it put down. Instead of hating on Wisconsin, he hated on the NU tradition, but switched around all his opinions about Hands Up in the Air and said it about Jump Around.
You know, if you can't laugh at yourself...

Was this supposed to be funny? This kid could be the lead in a new Revenge of the Nerds movie. Someone get him on a meal plan and give him directions to Patten.

Reactions: FrancisSearle75
Was this supposed to be funny? This kid could be the lead in a new Revenge of the Nerds movie. Someone get him on a meal plan and give him directions to Patten.
Yeah.... but I bet his dad could kick your butt! ;)

Reactions: DocCatsFan
Actually, this week the "jump around" is not a tradition, but a survival technique. The stunned and silenced Badger fans will need to do something to keep their limbs moving as an antidote to frostbite.

Actually, this week the "jump around" is not a tradition, but a survival technique. The stunned and silenced Badger fans will need to do something to keep their limbs moving as an antidote to frostbite.
Alaska I'm going to assume you're the expert on winter survival. Jump around got it. Any other advice for Saturday?

Alaska I'm going to assume you're the expert on winter survival. Jump around got it. Any other advice for Saturday?

Yeah - stay dry. If it is true that the grounds people are not going to clear snow off the seats then make sure there is a waterproof barrier between you and the ice/snow.

The other survival tip is in their fight song, Aw, Wisconsin!

Aw Wisconsin! Aw Wisconsin!
Bounce right off that line.
Run the ball three times a series,
Punt on fourth and nine.

Every week's the same.
Drink, fellows, drink, drink, drink,
Forget this game.

I found the "Hands in the Air" routine was a useful survival technique for the Purdue game. A convenient excuse just to gyrate around to blow off nervous, pent up energy from the onerous and frustrating tie game, as well as to complications attendant to stress affecting vital organs such as the coronary circuitry and brain aneurysms.

On the subject of Hate Week. It's got to be tough to do for a full time student. I thought the Purdue "Hate Week" from the week prior as a little too cheeky, and Purdue played the game in the beginning with enough animation as if they had seen it.

Further random thoughts. The first Hate Week, the Stanford game, was the best in my opinion, and the other non-conference games were good. I think the kid is at his best when he's working with fresh material.

The other survival tip is in their fight song, Aw, Wisconsin!

Bounce right off that line.
Run the ball three times a series,
Punt on fourth and nine.

Every week's the same.
Drink, fellows, drink, drink, drink,
Forget this game.

Despite the OP's son's views to the contrary, it does look like the Wisconsin Fans were having lots of fun with their "Jump Around" and it made for entertaining TV. Looks like I was on target as to the "Jump Around" also serving as a "survival technique" for the silenced Badger fans who never led in the entire game.

I note the BTN crew even caught a NU fan joining in on the fun:

photo_zpsuyatxsj4.jpg
photo_zpsybyh4opt.jpg
photo_zps5znukb3p.jpg

Every time this Wisconsin "Jump Around" tradition is mentioned, I can't help but think of this scene from Mrs. Doubtfire.

Like most traditions, it is has been solidified as a "good" tradition because they have a large fanbase and because the team has been very successful during the run of the tradition. If it was done at Eastern Michigan instead, I am sure there would be plenty of eye-rolling.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT