ADVERTISEMENT

Have the Cats ever outdrawn the Bears under normal circumstances?

Reactions: Noah121
Ohhhhh.. SF means Soldier Field. This early in the morning, you had me wondering when the heck the Bears played in San Francisco.

As for college teams outdrawing the pros. When UM, MSU and the Lions are all playing at home, you can be pretty sure the Lions will draw the third-highest crowd.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
Even if we sell out, we can't outdraw them.
But the question is if we ever have and the answer to that would be yes. Probably many times. For example, for many years Bears were in Wrigley Field which did not hold that many. Secondly, Ryan used to hold more. Third, used to be some pretty big draws. Forth, NU FB, I believe was here before the Bears moved up from Decatur to Chicago.

Probably not...Why even ask?
Because a college football team recently outdrew TWO local NFL teams in their city...COMBINED...They drew more fans to their college game than the SUM of the attendance to two local NFL games... want proof? Here it is:
https://www.sbnation.com/nfl/2017/9/17/16322710/rams-chargers-attendance-usc-texas

Some college teams outfdraw NFL teams because of stadium size. The Washington Huskies stadium seats more than the Kingdome did and more than the current stadium used by the Seahawks does.

Ann Arbor is basically a distant suburb of Detroit and everyone knows that the Wolverines always sell out and their stadium is bigger than Ford Field where the Lions play.

When the Hurricanes were the team to beat back in the Dennis Erickson, Jimmy Johnson days, they would sometimes outdraw the Dolphins.

About NU, not sure.

Some college teams outfdraw NFL teams because of stadium size. The Washington Huskies stadium seats more than the Kingdome did and more than the current stadium used by the Seahawks does.

Ann Arbor is basically a distant suburb of Detroit and everyone knows that the Wolverines always sell out and their stadium is bigger than Ford Field where the Lions play.

When the Hurricanes were the team to beat back in the Dennis Erickson, Jimmy Johnson days, they would sometimes outdraw the Dolphins.

About NU, not sure.
At one point Dyke had a stated capacity of about 52k and I thought I remembered hearing that they has some standing room only crowds for a couple high profile games taking attendance well above that figure. Bears were in Wrigley that had a capacity of I think about 40K or less. In fact in 1970 when the NFL was demanding at least 50K capacity, they had a game at Dyke that drew about 50K. Did you know that when originally designed, Dyke was supposed to be built as an 80K triple deck stadium? Delays and cost increases forced plans to be scaled back.

At one point Dyke had a stated capacity of about 52k and I thought I remembered hearing that they has some standing room only crowds for a couple high profile games taking attendance well above that figure. Bears were in Wrigley that had a capacity of I think about 40K or less. In fact in 1970 when the NFL was demanding at least 50K capacity, they had a game at Dyke that drew about 50K. Did you know that when originally designed, Dyke was supposed to be built as an 80K triple deck stadium? Delays and cost increases forced plans to be scaled back.

They used to occasionally put temporary bleachers up in the north end zone for big games (e.g. ND). Google an image of the Bears/Eagles game played in Dyche in 1970.

Here are the attendance records, courtesy of Hail to Purple:

1. 55,752 -- 1962 vs. Notre Dame (on campus home record)
2. 55,682 -- 1960 vs. Notre Dame
3. 55,356 -- 1966 vs. Notre Dame
4. 55,282 -- 1959 vs. Wisconsin
5. 55,155 -- 1972 vs. Notre Dame
6. 54,821 -- 1949 vs. Michigan
7. 54,342 -- 1962 vs. Michigan State
8. 54,301 -- 1974 vs. Notre Dame
9. 52,333 -- 1983 vs. Illinois (last game ever at Dyche Stadium with over 50,000)
10. 52,062 -- 1964 vs. Illinois
11. 52,000 -- 1951 vs. Illinois
12. 51,782 -- 1960 vs. Illinois
13. 51,102 -- 1958 vs. Ohio State
14. 51,039 -- 1953 vs. Illinois
15. 51,028 -- 1964 vs. Wisconsin

I was at the 1974 game, it was the first Cats game I attended as a Freshman and was quite a sight. Of course NU lost, like 49-3. And Ara did not call time-out to ice the NU FG kicker!

Here is a picture from 1970 (you can see the old hockey rink where Trienens Hall is located now):
SQ000605.jpg

http://hailtopurple.com/cde/attendance_records.html

Last edited:
The goal posts tells you the photo is from that Bears/Eagles game.

I was at the Illinois game in 83. While an obvious full house I had no clue it was 52K+. Guessing the fire marshall stayed away lol

But the question is if we ever have and the answer to that would be yes. Probably many times. For example, for many years Bears were in Wrigley Field which did not hold that many. Secondly, Ryan used to hold more. Third, used to be some pretty big draws. Forth, NU FB, I believe was here before the Bears moved up from Decatur to Chicago.

Wrigley's football capacity was about 47,000, which was less than Dyche Stadium at the time, so NU outdrew them many times.

The Bears (then called the Staleys) moved to Chicago from Decatur for the 1921 season. NU's first football game on record was in 1882 and they started playing regularly in 1888, so quite a while before the Bears arrived.

remember going to quite a few games in the 60's and 70's when NU drew 55,000 +. Would like to see NU build up the east side to match the west stands. Obviously not with another press box but how about some private/public clubs and bars. Yes, bars serving alcohol, ala like Minny. Screw Evanston.

9. 52,333 -- 1983 vs. Illinois (last game ever at Dyche Stadium with over 50,000)

I was at the 1974 game, it was the first Cats game I attended as a Freshman and was quite a sight. Of course NU lost, like 49-3. And Ara did not call time-out to ice the NU FG kicker!

Here is a picture from 1970 (you can see the old hockey rink where Trienens Hall is located now):
SQ000605.jpg

I was at the 72 ND game but was in grad school in AZ in 74

Wrigley's football capacity was about 47,000, which was less than Dyche Stadium at the time, so NU outdrew them many times.

The Bears (then called the Staleys) moved to Chicago from Decatur for the 1921 season. NU's first football game on record was in 1882 and they started playing regularly in 1888, so quite a while before the Bears arrived.
Thanks. Wasn't thinking FB capacity of Wrigley was that high.

The college product IMO is a better product to watch than the NFL. Parity sucks. A crappy SF 49er team upsetting Pittsburgh Steelers get little to no reaction from anyone. Now if Clemson loses to Pitt, much more noteworthy. I liked when we had dominant teams in sports that when beaten meant something. To me the NFL is flat out boring most of the time. I'll take USC versus Texas over Rams or Chargers facing anyone in the NFL.

Reactions: StreamCat
What a fascinating photo posted by Fitzphile. I find the parking configuration in both the east and West lots very interesting.

That's one way to make sure a lot of people stayed until the very end.

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
What a fascinating photo posted by Fitzphile. I find the parking configuration in both the east and West lots very interesting.

That's one way to make sure a lot of people stayed until the very end.
I hadn't noticed...thanks. Surprising how many open sports there are even with the stadium full.

I hadn't noticed...thanks. Surprising how many open sports there are even with the stadium full.
I was thinking the same thing, harder to see the West lot than the East, but it looks like there are still spaces in both??

remember going to quite a few games in the 60's and 70's when NU drew 55,000 +. Would like to see NU build up the east side to match the west stands. Obviously not with another press box but how about some private/public clubs and bars. Yes, bars serving alcohol, ala like Minny. Screw Evanston.
I wonder if there were private luxury boxes if alcohol could be served there. You might get some big corporate money for boxes like that.

SQ000605.jpg

Great find on the hockey rink. Never knew this. Who used it?

Great find on the hockey rink. Never knew this. Who used it?

Did a quick search and found a mention in this article spurred by opening of "Norris rink"

LINK
"By the 1960s, however, the capital of skating at Northwestern had shifted north. Built in 1961 and completed in 1962, the Byron S. Coon Sports Center featured the largest outdoor ice rink in Northwestern’s history — and the only artificial ice rink in Evanston at the time. During the winter, the university floored over four of the newly constructed tennis courts and constructed a rink on top.

The rink hosted races, figure skating lessons, phys-ed classes, intramural hockey and the Skokie Valley Skating Club, which eventually helped to form the Northwestern Skating Club. Students, faculty and children flocked to the outdoor rink, just north of then-Dyche Stadium (now renamed Ryan Field) at the current location of the Nicolet Football Center and Trienens Hall."

It won't be long until your Cats are outdrawing the Bears if NFL players keep insisting on kneeling for the National Anthem.

I forgot NU's home attendance record is technically...1991 Ohio State at Cleveland Stadium.

What was Barnett's initial salary? I'm wondering if NU making $500,000 being bought out by Art Modell was actually what afforded Gary Barnett.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT