ADVERTISEMENT

Hazing scandal

Status
Not open for further replies.
Read the ESPN article but this is not good at all. Regardless of it being totally fabricated this is really bad pr

Hopefully the investigation will be thorough and get to the bottom of it. Let the chips fall where they may.
School is approaching it the right way: independent attorney figuring out what happened here and probably empowered to interview everyone involved.

Clean it out. We were 1-11, so nothing to lose from getting rid of whatever caused these allegations (if established as true).

(I'm not saying our record matters, but clearly we were at the bottom of the barrel last year, so just flush whatever bad elements there are out of here.)

What came out in the news is that NU received "an allegation" of hazing, which sounds like something may or may not have happened but, even if it did, then it could possibly be limited in scope. I would hold off classifying it as a scandal until more comes out and it confirms that there was hazing and that it was either widespread and/or repeated.

Reactions: DaCat and NUCat320
This story is very strange.

The team for the most part stayed together late in the season

There were no mass portal transfers. Those who left were not primary players or they declared for the NFL.

Three coaches were let go, not just one.

No news about discontent during or after the season.

The only thing has been two months of silence from Fitz.

My immediate thought: this is how you instigate getting rid of a coach.

I really have no idea if hazing occurred or not, but I'm naturally inclined to think it did not based on what we know about 20 years of Fitz at the helm. For whatever his faults, he runs a program with integrity and I seriously doubt he picked this season to start hazing players.

On the other hand...even if Fitz clearly facilitates a positive culture, he doesn't have the reach to police every player and every coach...and in this day and age "hazing" doesn't always mean someone was taped upside down to a wall and forced to draw a gallon of tequila...it just means "they made me do something I didn't want to do" which can be just about anything, like going to a "voluntary" team meeting involuntarily or slipping a piece of bacon into the vegan's plant-based eggs at breakfast.

• Haha
Reactions: drewjin
I know this thread has turned into a joke fest but this is a serious pr problem and issue for the program. For fitz. For recruiting.

There better be nothing there but it’s not a good look.

Especially when you’re about to spend 800m to build a football palace.

Goodness gracious this is the last our program needs.

Now - that having been said - Fitz is a players coach - could this be an unsubstantiated rumor?

I know this thread has turned into a joke fest but this is a serious pr problem and issue for the program. For fitz. For recruiting.

There better be nothing there but it’s not a good look.

Especially when you’re about to spend 800m to build a football palace.
Definitely hurts the group that supports PF regardless of team performance simply because he runs a clean program, graduates everybody and everyone gets a participation trophy. Program suddenly not looking so pristine…

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Wait for the facts
Wait for the facts. No one knows right now
Can’t disagree but doesn’t change the fact the story is out there and folks outside NU have no reason to give NU, or anyone else, the benefit of the doubt. As a result, the program has a stain. Earned or not - it’s there. So the whole PF runs a clean program so who cares about the record argument becomes flawed. And at a time when PF is losing lots of fan support too.

Reactions: Ryanfield124
Can’t disagree but doesn’t change the fact the story is out there and folks outside NU have no reason to give NU, or anyone else, the benefit of the doubt. As a result, the program has a stain. Earned or not - it’s there. So the whole PF runs a clean program so who cares about the record argument becomes flawed. And at a time when PF is losing lots of fan support too.
Unless turns out to be complete fabrication, it will be used as negative recruiting fodder against one of NU’s biggest calling cards - high character program (the other being academics). It’s fortunate this didn’t come out before early signing day; likely there was some effort that went into keeping it quiet unless the accuser didn’t come forward until now.

Reactions: ubercat
People give the one and only Northwestern University the benefit of the doubt precisely because we run a clean program. We have had incidents, of course. There was a player discovered with a number of contraband weapons in his car. There was a player caught with an amount of hard core illicit substances. They were dealt with appropriately and swiftly. There is no reason to believe that anything is rotten until the report has been completed.

PP

People give the one and only Northwestern University the benefit of the doubt precisely because we run a clean program. We have had incidents, of course. There was a player discovered with a number of contraband weapons in his car. There was a player caught with an amount of hard core illicit substances. They were dealt with appropriately and swiftly. There is no reason to believe that anything is rotten until the report has been completed.

PP
Maybe, but probably not how coaches recruiting against us will present it. And having has special connotation for parents…of recruits so…

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT