ADVERTISEMENT

Here's the two-deep

lou v

Aug 27, 2004
Not a ton of surprises, except for the funky new format...

Last edited:
It a ton of surprises, except for the funky new format...

A few notes:

- Four true freshmen made it: T Rashawn Slater, LB Blake Gallagher, DT Sam Miller and K Charlie Kuhbander.

- On the O line, Jared Thomas is at left tackle and Blake Hance is at left guard. They've been taking a lot of reps like that in camp, so this isn't a shocker. Gunnar Vogel nailed down the right tackle spot, as expected. True freshman Slater is the No. 2 right tackle. JB Butler is the backup at both guard spots.

- The starting WRs are Macan Wilson, Bennett Skowronek and Flynn Nagel, and the backups are Jalen Brown, Charlie Fessler and Jelani Roberts.

- Fred Wyatt is a bit is surprise as a starting DE, opposite Joe Gaziano. The 2s are Mark Gooden and Trent Goens. Sam and Alex Miller are the No. 2 DTs.

- Paddy Fisher won the starting MLB job, as expected. He's backed by Nathan Fox. True freshman Gallagher made the two-deep at Will, while Warren Long is at Sam.

- The KR is Jelani Roberts and the PR is Flynn Nagel.

- Freshman Charlie Kuhbander won the kicking job.

Aside from the OL, which everyone will dissect...

• Good that Kuhbander won the starting kicking job
  • Brown is behind Wilson...for now. Expect him to start as he gets more comfortable
  • Excited to see Jelani as the lead kick returner. Don't love putting Nagel, arguably WR1, as punt returner, would rather promote Lees from backup. Maybe over time?
  • Speaking of Lees, surprised he's not on the two-deep at WR
  • Rumors about Paddy were true
  • Wyatt in on first/second downs and Gooden in for pass rush situations?
  • Sam Miller, Blake Gallagher and Rashawn Slater join Kuhbander as true freshmen who will burn their shirts

While Butler's absence from the starting 5 is a surprise to me, I don't know that I'm taking the OL two-deep all that seriously until the conference season. Given how much rotation we've heard about during camp and Fitz's general disdain for two-deep's, I'm guessing we see a lot of guys play a lot of snaps before settling into any kind of "permanent" group. Also a little surprised/disappointed that Otterman and Oxley didn't make the two-deep in some fashion.

Interesting that Wyatt has apparently made CJ Robbins-style shift to DE; while that should bulk us up on run downs and provide some experience in that spot, I suspect we will see a lot of sub-packages in passing situations. The Brothers Miller are apparently both DTs from the start.

Aside from the OL, which everyone will dissect...

• Good that Kuhbander won the starting kicking job
  • Brown is behind Wilson...for now. Expect him to start as he gets more comfortable
  • Excited to see Jelani as the lead kick returner. Don't love putting Nagel, arguably WR1, as punt returner, would rather promote Lees from backup. Maybe over time?
  • Speaking of Lees, surprised he's not on the two-deep at WR
  • Rumors about Paddy were true
  • Wyatt in on first/second downs and Gooden in for pass rush situations?
  • Sam Miller, Blake Gallagher and Rashawn Slater join Kuhbander as true freshmen who will burn their shirts

There should be a ton of rotation at OL (at least early on, before they settle into a predicable rotation) and WR (throughout the season). I wouldn't put much stock into either of those depth charts for now, but especially WR.

What happened to Lees? Does anyone think that he will get on the field eventually? Is it because he is a r-frosh? Is he hurt? Did he just not show enough in practice?

- On the O line, Jared Thomas is at left tackle and Blake Hance is at left guard. They've been taking a lot of reps like that in camp, so this isn't a shocker. Gunnar Vogel nailed down the right tackle spot, as expected. True freshman Slater is the No. 2 right tackle. JB Butler is the backup at both guard spots.
The line is really thin. There are just 3 Tackles listed (Hance goes to tackle if needed) and 3 Guards. So much for competitive depth.

Any injuries other than the "out for the year crew"? Is Rod Campbell dinged up? Wondering who might be missing due to injury. Feel bad for Parrker, Riley and Jango. They will need to make there marks on special teams. Nice to see some quality depth. Future looks bright!

Any injuries other than the "out for the year crew"? Is Rod Campbell dinged up? Wondering who might be missing due to injury. Feel bad for Parrker, Riley and Jango. They will need to make there marks on special teams. Nice to see some quality depth. Future looks bright!
Doesn't the injury report issue on Thursdays?

What happened to Lees? Does anyone think that he will get on the field eventually? Is it because he is a r-frosh? Is he hurt? Did he just not show enough in practice?

Wouldn't put much stock as in WR depth chart. We will rotate 7-8 guys and my guess is that he is in that group. Lees is listed as backup punt returner I believe.

Lees is on the chart as 2nd team punt return. I also won't be surprised to see him on coverage teams as a gunner, given his speed. I also think we'll see him rotate in a fair amount before conference play begins. He'll have a chance to prove himself in the weeks to come.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat
While Butler's absence from the starting 5 is a surprise to me, I don't know that I'm taking the OL two-deep all that seriously until the conference season. Given how much rotation we've heard about during camp and Fitz's general disdain for two-deep's, I'm guessing we see a lot of guys play a lot of snaps before settling into any kind of "permanent" group. Also a little surprised/disappointed that Otterman and Oxley didn't make the two-deep in some fashion.

Interesting that Wyatt has apparently made CJ Robbins-style shift to DE; while that should bulk us up on run downs and provide some experience in that spot, I suspect we will see a lot of sub-packages in passing situations. The Brothers Miller are apparently both DTs from the start.

In addition to Oxley, surprised to not see Klock on two deep. This is a guy who has started many games for a P5 team, albeit in a radically different system. Have to believe that injuries may be a reason for omissions on the two deep, particularly with Oxley.

In addition to Oxley, surprised to not see Klock on two deep. This is a guy who has started many games for a P5 team, albeit in a radically different system. Have to believe that injuries may be a reason for omissions on the two deep, particularly with Oxley.

Klock is still working on learning pass blocking. He'll work his way into the rotation.

Reactions: hdhntr1
Lees is on the chart as 2nd team punt return. I also won't be surprised to see him on coverage teams as a gunner, given his speed. I also think we'll see him rotate in a fair amount before conference play begins. He'll have a chance to prove himself in the weeks to come.

I think you will see him more as the season progresses.

Jango was a little dinged up early in camp but healthy now. Just set him back a little. Expect him to climb back up

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
Agreed Corbi, and how about Otterman and Urban? Are they anywhere to be found? (I can't read the damn chart because, at my advanced age, my eyesight is failing.)

Reactions: Alaskawildkat

Should see plenty of the field as a WR this year; that's one group where Fitz's two-deeps are historically not terribly informative.

Agreed Corbi, and how about Otterman and Urban? Are they anywhere to be found? (I can't read the damn chart because, at my advanced age, my eyesight is failing.)

Urban is the backup center. Otterman is not listed, which is a little surprising to me.

Wouldn't be surprised if Klock is the "next guy in" after Butler if things went awry at the guard position. The transition from GaTech's triple-option to NU's spread is pretty daunting, especially in pass protection but also run blocking (two- or three-point stance with zone blocking vs. primarily three-point forward-lean man blocking).

Also surprised to see Campbell missing from 2-deep.

Reactions: scru
Thanks. Maybe, like some others, Otterman's a little dinged-up?

No clue. Believe we will get the injury report on Thursday, though that will likely be limited only to players either out for the season or missing the game entirely rather than the "nicks and bruises" variety.

No clue. Believe we will get the injury report on Thursday, though that will likely be limited only to players either out for the season or missing the game entirely rather than the "nicks and bruises" variety.
Is Campbell also hurt?

A few notes:

- Four true freshmen made it: T Rashawn Slater, LB Blake Gallagher, DT Sam Miller and K Charlie Kuhbander.

- The starting WRs are Macan Wilson, Bennett Skowronek and Flynn Nagel, and the backups are Jalen Brown, Charlie Fessler and Jelani Roberts.

- Fred Wyatt is a bit is surprise as a starting DE, opposite Joe Gaziano. The 2s are Mark Gooden and Trent Goens. Sam and Alex Miller are the No. 2 DTs.

- Paddy Fisher won the starting MLB job, as expected. He's backed by Nathan Fox. True freshman Gallagher made the two-deep at Will, while Warren Long is at Sam.

- The KR is Jelani Roberts and the PR is Flynn Nagel.

- Freshman Charlie Kuhbander won the kicking job.
Is there a larger version, somewhere of that 2 deep?

Would it be unreasonable to suggest that none of our wr would start on more than 3 other bigten teams? Hopefully moten and jackson see the field together in hopes of getting our best 11 on the field.

The design looks cool, but it's less functional. Put the kids' year on the depth chart.

Style over substance. Lame. Get off my lawn.

Wouldn't put much stock as in WR depth chart. We will rotate 7-8 guys and my guess is that he is in that group. Lees is listed as backup punt returner I believe.
NU regularly plays 6-7-8 WRs in a game. I'd be shocked if Leesus doesn't see some first half snaps against Nevada.

Maybe it's not a surprise, but I think it's great that Macan Wilson made the first team. He looked like a "won't be offered a fifth year" guy until midseason last year.

Why? We have no outside experience other than wilson who has only produced occasionally, albeit seemed to come on. I just dont think we have any depth at all other than all 8 wr are about the same skill level. Roberts must have been a dude as he was been passed up by freshman but he truly will be almost as good as vault on KOR.
If thorson gets a tweak more time then nothing else will matter and we will win the division. He is special.

NU regularly plays 6-7-8 WRs in a game. I'd be shocked if Leesus doesn't see some first half snaps against Nevada.

Maybe it's not a surprise, but I think it's great that Macan Wilson made the first team. He looked like a "won't be offered a fifth year" guy until midseason last year.

Annddddd he shall be heretofore known as "Leesus."

Reactions: CatChatAR
Why? We have no outside experience other than wilson who has only produced occasionally, albeit seemed to come on. I just dont think we have any depth at all other than all 8 wr are about the same skill level. Roberts must have been a dude as he was been passed up by freshman but he truly will be almost as good as vault on KOR.
If thorson gets a tweak more time then nothing else will matter and we will win the division. He is special.

Because I think you'll be eating your words by halfway though the year on Brown and the receiving talent across the B1G is pretty poor.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT