ADVERTISEMENT

Historic Night

scru

Sep 4, 2005
New arena, first game of the season. Students? Nope. Maybe they should have had the exhibition game on the road so that the arena opening was for a real game. Somehow makes me sad. We are a long way away from a remotely passionate or modestly sized fanbase.

Last edited:
Reactions: StratCat84
New arena, first game of the season. Students? Nope. Maybe they should have had the exhibition game on the road so that the arena opening was for a real game. Somehow makes me sad. We are a long way away from even a remotely passionate and even moderstely sized fanbase.
I had multiple Notre Dame friends ask me on Sunday what’s wrong with our students. If they won’t show up for the #3 team in the country why would they show up against New Orleans basketball.

We're not a basketball school - yet. I think we're going to be in time (just because the nature of a school like NU really lends itself to basketball recruiting better than football recruiting, imo). It's going to take time, Collins is literally creating a culture where there is none. Students probably are thinking "we weren't good last year, the game is against a nobody opponent and I have midterms tomorrow" not "first game in the new arena".

I'm sure the players feel the same way. Doesn't bother them at all that they get so little support. And recruits that turned on this game tonight to check out what this program is about after being wooed all off season by CCC and staff, I'm sure they think this is all fine. You're right... yawn. That's how we get to be a truly great program... ambivalence.

I'm sure the players feel the same way. Doesn't bother them at all that they get so little support. And recruits that turned on this game tonight to check out what this program is about after being wooed all off season by CCC and staff, I'm sure they think this is all fine. You're right... yawn. That's how we get to be a truly great program... ambivalence.
You are at once complaining about an enthusiastic fan and at the same time about the lack of enthusiastic fans. The students will come.

Last edited:
Can we let the student thing go at least until we have empty seats in conference games? The place was at best half full. So if you want to attack somewhere, attack the Fat Cats in the lower bowl. Unless you were one of the few Fat Cats that showed up.

Reactions: willycat
Can we let the student thing go at least until we have empty seats in conference games? The place was at best half full. So if you want to attack somewhere, attack the Fat Cats in the lower bowl. Unless you were one of the few Fat Cats that showed up.
It was the purple seats!

A fancy new arena isn't going to change the fact that it's a weeknight game as a 20 point favorite against New Orleans (and not the team with Anthony Davis). Get back to me after the GT, DePaul, and OU games. It'll be great.

ADVERTISEMENT