ADVERTISEMENT

History of the spread offense and Northwestern’s role

WestCoastWildcat

May 29, 2001
Del Mar, CA

This is a great article from a few years ago about the spread offense and Northwestern’s role in its history. The article delves into the relationship of Coach Randy and Kevin Wilson (who is the former Ohio State OC) as well as other key figures like Rich Rodriguez and Urban Meyer who moved the spread offense to the forefront. To Coach Randy’s credit, he and Wilson sought out offensive innovation to fire up NU’s languid offense Coach Randy had brought with him from Miami (Ohio). That Miami offense just didn’t work with the offensive personnel NU had at the time and the poor initial performance on NU’s offense forced the search for innovation. The 2000 NU-UM instant classic (which I attended with my brother) epitomized how the spread could wear down an opponent. I remember how exhausted the UM defense players were in the 2nd half as NU overtook UM for the win. The spread maximized NU’s players abilities and boosted our offense scoring capabilities. Just a great read of the history of this innovative offense which reverberates today.

Last edited:
What is NU's next innovation? 3 1/3 yards and a cloud of Pericoat Marking Compound. Oh wait, the steam engine has been replaced by electric.

I was at that game too.

I was also at the TCU game.

Nobody seems to remember the TCU game.
The TCU game that season was misery. Why would we remember the TCU game?

I was also there. Prior to it blowing up the world, TCU’s cheerleaders were asking, “Who let the frogs out, who, who, who!?”

(Wiki tells me that Who Let the Dogs Out didn’t really hit in the US until November, when it was included on the film soundtrack for Rugrats In Paris.)

DA2 gained more than 2,000 yards rushing but only finished 5th in Heisman voting that year because the glamor program jock-sniffing pundits deemed the offense "gimmicky." But then glamor programs like Florida and Ohio State started running the spread offense and suddenly it became legit.

DA2 gained more than 2,000 yards rushing but only finished 5th in Heisman voting that year because the glamor program jock-sniffing pundits deemed the offense "gimmicky." But then glamor programs like Florida and Ohio State started running the spread offense and suddenly it became legit.
Speaking of the TCU game, didn’t Ladainian Tomlinson finish in the top 5 for Heisman that year? If we didn’t lay an egg offensively in the TCU and Iowa games maybe DA2 would’ve finished higher.

Well, one of the players who finished higher was LaDainian Tomlinson, whom I got to see at the TCU game.

The TCU game that season was misery. Why would we remember the TCU game?
I remember LaDainian Tomlinson.

Well, one of the players who finished higher was LaDainian Tomlinson, whom I got to see at the TCU game.

I remember LaDainian Tomlinson.
LT is still involved as a spokesperson with the LA Chargers. (Dean Spanos- a name that will last in infamy here in real Bolt country). One of the San Diego Charger all-time greats.

This is a great article from a few years ango about the spread offense and Northwestern’s role in its history. The article delves into the relationship of Coach Randy and Kevin Wilson (who is now the Ohio State OC)
Wilson is actually the new head coach at Tulsa.

NU is has smart people and smart players. NU is less constrained by the usual hounding of Neanderthal, beer guzzling casual fans and has a head coach who has tons of job security. NU is in in prime position to be a risk taking innovator on and off the field.

We should take advantage of that.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo

This is a great article from a few years ago about the spread offense and Northwestern’s role in its history. The article delves into the relationship of Coach Randy and Kevin Wilson (who is the former Ohio State OC) as well as other key figures like Rich Rodriguez and Urban Meyer who moved the spread offense to the forefront. To Coach Randy’s credit, he and Wilson sought out offensive innovation to fire up NU’s languid offense Coach Randy had brought with him from Miami (Ohio). That Miami offense Coach Randy just didn’t work with the offensive personnel NU had at the time and the poor initial performance on NU’s offense forced the search for innovation. The 2000 NU-UM instant classic (which I attended with my brother) epitomized how the spread could wear down an opponent. I remember how exhausted the UM defense players were in the 2nd half as NU overtook UM for the win. The spread maximized NU’s players abilities and boosted our offense scoring capabilities. Just a great read of the history of this innovative offense which reverberates today.
In spring of 2001 I bought a book at a used bookstore on Belmont Ave for $5 bucks entitled "Spread Formation Football" by Dutch Meyer the head coach at TCU. It was published in 1952! His spread formation was basically an empty backfield with the QB at like 10 yards deep and double slot WRs on both sides. He explained he developed it because-after winning national championships back in the mid 30's with the conventional run based single wing he found he could no longer recruit the bigger ,stronger athletes that Texas and A&M were getting.
I sent the book to Randy Walker who promptly sent me a kind thank you note in which he said " Isn't it funny how they just keep recirculating offenses in college football?" I see the book is available on Amazon- for $200!!

In spring of 2001 I bought a book at a used bookstore on Belmont Ave for $5 bucks entitled "Spread Formation Football" by Dutch Meyer the head coach at TCU. It was published in 1952! His spread formation was basically an empty backfield with the QB at like 10 yards deep and double slot WRs on both sides. He explained he developed it because-after winning national championships back in the mid 30's with the conventional run based single wing he found he could no longer recruit the bigger ,stronger athletes that Texas and A&M were getting.
I sent the book to Randy Walker who promptly sent me a kind thank you note in which he said " Isn't it funny how they just keep recirculating offenses in college football?" I see the book is available on Amazon- for $200!!
This is a great story! Among other humorous things about it, it’s sort of entertaining to see a coach be very much into something six decades ahead of his time, but design it in a way that still resembles the old-timey schemes/language of his day and clearly have everybody look at it and think he’s a moron. I always think it would be amusing to be able to tell a guy like this that the crazy concept he drew up in a primitive way sixty years ago has completely taken over the entire industry now.

This is a great article from a few years ago about the spread offense and Northwestern’s role in its history. The article delves into the relationship of Coach Randy and Kevin Wilson (who is the former Ohio State OC) as well as other key figures like Rich Rodriguez and Urban Meyer who moved the spread offense to the forefront. To Coach Randy’s credit, he and Wilson sought out offensive innovation to fire up NU’s languid offense Coach Randy had brought with him from Miami (Ohio). That Miami offense Coach Randy just didn’t work with the offensive personnel NU had at the time and the poor initial performance on NU’s offense forced the search for innovation. The 2000 NU-UM instant classic (which I attended with my brother) epitomized how the spread could wear down an opponent. I remember how exhausted the UM defense players were in the 2nd half as NU overtook UM for the win. The spread maximized NU’s players abilities and boosted our offense scoring capabilities. Just a great read of the history of this innovative offense which reverberates today.
Ironic that Walker gave up ground and pound ball control offense that Fitz favors because he didn’t have the hosses, and then proceeded to disrupt college football, break records and win a B1G title and Fitz thinks he can win with that ancient offense with even less talent.

We innovated or at least contributed greatly to the prolific offense happy spread, and yet we spurn it today.

Reactions: WestCoastWildcat
Ironic that Walker gave up ground and pound ball control offense that Fitz favors because he didn’t have the hosses, and then proceeded to disrupt college football, break records and win a B1G title and Fitz thinks he can win with that ancient offense with even less talent.

We innovated or at least contributed greatly to the prolific offense happy spread, and yet we spurn it today.
I think it may have to do with the tolerance for risk that each man possess. Innovators aren't always smarter, but they are sometimes just less afraid of risk.

2001 exposed our weaknesses. In 2000, we were innovative and defenses hadn't figured us out. In 2001, defenses were better at stopping us, and our quick possessions coupled with our weak defense showed the downside of the no-huddle fast-paced offense approach.

Fitz has multiple 10-win seasons built around a strong defense with a ball-control offense. We know that formula can work. I'm not sure how JON fits into that formula.

Rather I believe 2001, Wheeler's death divided the team.

It's clear that Walker lost the team, particularly the Barnett recruits, and we never recovered. Didn't help that Damien played hurt all year.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT