ADVERTISEMENT

Holiday Bowl vs Utah

DaCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Just watched the Holiday Bowl vs Utah game on YouTube. Can't believe it was not that long ago, Dec 31, 2017. Full game

Defense put up an amazing performance in the second half, and the offense made some memorable plays. We'll be back!

Watched the NU classic version - done in an hour. The first half was as tough to watch this time as it was live.

Then Utah self-destructed - 5 tos at the end of 3 quarters.

Hidden in Fitz' remarks at half time is the subliminal message to go out there and return a few tos for 50+ yard gains.

Reminds me that we're all still wondering how good Bowser is. And Pace will knock your jock off. The cheap call of the year goes to the ref that nailed McGowan for PI when he made a huge over-the-shoulder catch for big yardage late in the game - just before the catch he TOUCHED the DB.

Whenever it happens, it will be good to have live sports back again.

Watched the NU classic version - done in an hour. The first half was as tough to watch this time as it was live.

Then Utah self-destructed - 5 tos at the end of 3 quarters.

Hidden in Fitz' remarks at half time is the subliminal message to go out there and return a few tos for 50+ yard gains.

Reminds me that we're all still wondering how good Bowser is. And Pace will knock your jock off. The cheap call of the year goes to the ref that nailed McGowan for PI when he made a huge over-the-shoulder catch for big yardage late in the game - just before the catch he TOUCHED the DB.

Whenever it happens, it will be good to have live sports back again.
Regarding Bowser, remember that Utah had one of the best rush defenses in the country that year. It was tough slogging. I think Bowser would have a big year if the season is played this year.

Reactions: rmndcat and drewjin
That Utah team was very, very talented. They had 5 players from that team drafted in 2019 and will have at least 8 players drafted in the upcoming 2020 draft. Quite a contrast to NU and yet NU won going away. That says a lot of about our coaches and the character of our players.

That Utah team was very, very talented. They had 5 players from that team drafted in 2019 and will have at least 8 players drafted in the upcoming 2020 draft. Quite a contrast to NU and yet NU won going away. That says a lot of about our coaches and the character of our players.

Sitting in the rain during the first half was pretty uncomfortable- the 3rd quarter was miraculous

Ah, the memories ---

DSC_3694_zpsglxo6wz7.jpg
DSC_3937_zpsiddbbyg7.jpg
IMG_9885_zps8k8cwzuq.jpg
DSC_3815_zpsanwaajxo.jpg
IMG_9767_zps1dfut8di.jpg

Definitely my best memory of any NU game I attended. My father had passed that morning after his decline from dementia. Spent the first half watching with Cripple, and meeting a bunch of player's families. Then reconnected with a bunch of NU classmates in the second half. I was hoarse by the end of it. Hiked Torrey Pines Preserve the next morning, and then met my wife and son in Santa Barbara later. Cannot ask for a better set of memories. It was magical (especially the animal style burger at In N Out ).

Nice to see that goal line stand at the end of the first half again. It was cut out of an earlier full game version on YouTube and I thought it was the beginning of the turnaround we witnessed in the third quarter. Thanks for posting this. I'll never get tired of watching it and it helped fill part of another day in lockdown.

Nice way to cap off Easter Day watching DaCat's provided link.

The turn around for me came with 6:40 left in the third with the Gaziano strip accompanied by Jared McGee's 82 yard fumble return. Offensive play of the game for me was Clayton Thorson's 20 yard pass to subsequently airborne Trey Klock clocked with 4:39 left in the third quarter that put Northwestern ahead 23-20 which proved to be all that was needed for the win.

My photos taken at the game through the rain of the above described plays:

(Trey is seen airborne over the goal line in the final photo)

CLICK INDIVIDUAL PHOTOS TO ENLARGE

DSC_4502_zpskhfnhxwv.jpg
DSC_4505_zpsk9gnpc3g.jpg
DSC_4520_zpskpm5jjya.jpg
DSC_4524_zpsmixuqoxy.jpg
DSC_4525_zpsfvkspqmv.jpg
DSC_4663_zpsyhd6sxr8.jpg

A piece of trivia was confirmed from watching the replay. All of the Northwestern touchdowns were made at the Utah painted red end of the field and the field goal as well.

Last edited:

It also says a lot about how the weather can affect a game, and in this case, in favor of the guys who practice and play in the rain often.

It also says a lot about how the weather can affect a game, and in this case, in favor of the guys who practice and play in the rain often.
Ha! that reminds me of when I was a kid, and actually followed the NFL at the time. To the best of my recollection, it seemed like the Vikings and Rams always met in the playoffs, and the Vikings took full home field advantage, beating the Rams in frigid weather. Then, one year, the Rams had home field advantage and their fans were licking their chops. then it rained - a lot - and the Vikings won.

some actual game comments though:

speaking of rain, did the kid miss the ball in Q2 due to a wet ball in end zone?

seems like Cam Green got hit helmet to helmet on the 360 spin

mayo beat but keeps his eyes on the receiver and tackles him in the only split second he could, otherwise the kid gets a TD

the girl at 51:39

Fitz coaching Pace after the long runback, presumably for ball security

Klock was actually covered well but he and Thor beat the guy, then his "leap" from the 2 yard line

2 bad spots, I think. One where Lees was thrown like 5 yards back then came forward and was tackled short. then a TO on next play. The other was Green, seemed past it then tackled and pushed back.

Did they delete the first half of the 4th quarter because boring? Tressel ball?

Thor comes out and the defense miraculously guesses we will run it wide and we lose 12 yards and almost turn it over

Utah down two scores and 30 seconds left - gives up. To me, try a long pass, hope for PI and quick score/go for 2. they just - gave up.

thanks for posting it. I miss NU football

Last edited:
Nice way to cap off Easter Day watching DaCat's provided link.

The turn around for me came with 6:40 left in the third with the Gaziano strip accompanied by Jared McGee's 82 yard fumble return. Offensive play of the game for me was Clayton Thorson's 20 yard pass to subsequently airborne Trey Klock clocked with 4:39 left in the third quarter that put Northwestern ahead 23-20 which proved to be all that was needed for the win.

My photos taken at the game through the rain of the above described plays:

(Trey is seen airborne over the goal line in the final photo)

DSC_4502_zpskhfnhxwv.jpg
DSC_4505_zpsk9gnpc3g.jpg
DSC_4520_zpskpm5jjya.jpg
DSC_4524_zpsmixuqoxy.jpg
DSC_4525_zpsfvkspqmv.jpg
DSC_4663_zpsyhd6sxr8.jpg

A piece of trivia was confirmed from watching the replay. All of the Northwestern touchdowns were made at the Utah painted red end of the field and the field goal as well.

Just had a reflective thought, Noting how all of our winning plays for touchdowns and the field goal were all going the same direction curious if the rain was blowing into the faces of the Ute players and against our backs?

Would have to go back and rewatch but it would add to the theory of the helpful Kamikaze (God’s wind) playing a role if the Utah players had more success going that direction as well.

Ha! that reminds me of when I was a kid, and actually followed the NFL at the time. To the best of my recollection, it seemed like the Vikings and Rams always met in the playoffs, and the Vikings took full home field advantage, beating the Rams in frigid weather. Then, one year, the Rams had home field advantage and their fans were licking their chops. then it rained - a lot - and the Vikings won.

some actual game comments though:

speaking of rain, did the kid miss the ball in Q2 due to a wet ball in end zone?

seems like Cam Green got hit helmet to helmet on the 360 spin

mayo beat but keeps his eyes on the receiver and tackles him in the only split second he could, otherwise the kid gets a TD

the girl at 51:39

Fitz coaching Pace after the long runback, presumably for ball security

Klock was actually covered well but he and Thor beat the guy, then his "leap" from the 2 yard line

2 bad spots, I think. One where Lees was thrown like 5 yards back then came forward and was tackled short. then a TO on next play. The other was Green, seemed past it then tackled and pushed back.

Did they delete the first half of the 4th quarter because boring? Tressel ball?

Thor comes out and the defense miraculously guesses we will run it wide and we lose 12 yards and almost turn it over

Utah down two scores and 30 seconds left - gives up. To me, try a long pass, hope for PI and quick score/go for 2. they just - gave up.

thanks for posting it. I miss NU football
Girl at 51:39 couple of definite highlights!

I tried to organize a "pregame party" at The Princess Pub in Little Italy. The pub decided to open 1 hour late due to the pre game parade. Purple people showed up only to encounter a closed pub. A few stayed around till the opening but most headed elsewhere.

Everyone should appreciate Florida Alum's bowl game parties , since they have come off without a hitch.

After the game, I had a tight connection for a late night flight home. There was supposedly a taxi or rideshare area but unfortunately none of the stadium staff had any idea where that area was ,

Desperate to get to the airport, I started hitch hiking, looking like a drowned rat. I was fortunate to get a ride from a nice couple who actually drove me right up to the United departure entrance

Earlier in the day I had decided to drop off my luggage at the airport since I couldn't take the bag to the stadium with such a short connection time. United refused to take the bags because it was too early. I explained my situation to no avail until a supervisor came out and made an exception.

I arrived in DC and waited for my luggage-no luck. I eventually found the bags in unclaimed / lost luggage since they had been shipped on an earlier flight.

Despite the problems, NU 31 Utah 20 made the flight home enjoyable

I tried to organize a "pregame party" at The Princess Pub in Little Italy. The pub decided to open 1 hour late due to the pre game parade. Purple people showed up only to encounter a closed pub. A few stayed around till the opening but most headed elsewhere.

Everyone should appreciate Florida Alum's bowl game parties , since they have come off without a hitch.

After the game, I had a tight connection for a late night flight home. There was supposedly a taxi or rideshare area but unfortunately none of the stadium staff had any idea where that area was ,

Desperate to get to the airport, I started hitch hiking, looking like a drowned rat. I was fortunate to get a ride from a nice couple who actually drove me right up to the United departure entrance

Earlier in the day I had decided to drop off my luggage at the airport since I couldn't take the bag to the stadium with such a short connection time. United refused to take the bags because it was too early. I explained my situation to no avail until a supervisor came out and made an exception.

I arrived in DC and waited for my luggage-no luck. I eventually found the bags in unclaimed / lost luggage since they had been shipped on an earlier flight.

Despite the problems, NU 31 Utah 20 made the flight home enjoyable

Thanks for the pregame effort allowing some of us to gather together. I ended up going back to Little Italy after the game to welcome in the New Year.

Here are some views of the Parade that rained on the party as well as another shot of the "Pub Crew" as well as the headline from the San Diego newspaper as it was published the next morning.

IMG_9582_zpstrhxltks.jpg
DSC_3567_zpsvcpuz0mr.jpg
IMG_9623_zpsmazunz2k.jpg
IMG_9595_zps9o117n3x.jpg

IMG_9768_zpsfnx9t71u.jpg

IMG_0261_zpsc9uixtmz.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: rmndcat and drewjin
Just watched the Holiday Bowl vs Utah game on YouTube. Can't believe it was not that long ago, Dec 31, 2017. Full game

Defense put up an amazing performance in the second half, and the offense made some memorable plays. We'll be back!
Thank you for posting this. It brought some great memories at a time when they are especially needed.

Four Utes have been selected in the first three rounds of the NFL Draft.

It would be nice if we could have some of that first and second round NFL talent on our roster too like that. Good news is I think both Paddy and Rashawn have a chance to go in the first two rounds next year.

Reactions: Alaskawildkat
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT