ADVERTISEMENT

How many teams have gone undefeated in their first three 1st round games?

CatManTrue

Oct 4, 2008
Can any of our basketball statistical historians can confirm how many other programs won their first three 1st round games?

I have to imagine the list is rather short.

It took a long time for us to get to the Dance, but we’re having a blast!

Further than that - is there any team that is undefeated in NCAA Tournament First Round games? It has to be very rare: teams that have made the tourney only one or two times are very low seeds. Teams that have made it many times have lost in the first round at some point.

Did a little research here and I haven’t found a team that is undefeated in first round games (I’m excluding “First Four” games - that’s not the first round)

Further than that - is there any team that is undefeated in NCAA Tournament First Round games? It has to be very rare: teams that have made the tourney only one or two times are very low seeds. Teams that have made it many times have lost in the first round at some point.

Did a little research here and I haven’t found a team that is undefeated in first round games (I’m excluding “First Four” games - that’s not the first round)

I'm defining the first round as the first round played in a given tournament, excluding Opening Round/First Four games. As far as I can tell, the only other team that is undefeated in their first NCAA Tournament games is Tulane, who won their first game in 1992, 1993, and 1995, and lost their second game all three years and haven't made the tournament since.

As for teams that won their first three or more first round games, this is what I found:

First 12: Maryland (they are 27-3 in their first tournament games!)
First 8: Oklahoma State
First 7: California
First 5: Seton Hall
First 4: Lamar, Long Beach State, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State
First 3: Bradley, Canisius, Davidson, Drake, Duquesne, Georgia Tech, James Madison, Northeastern, Northwestern, San Francisco, Santa Clara, St. Bonaventure, Syracuse, Tulane, UNLV

(I'm having a wild Saturday night if you couldn't tell)

Reactions: cats_man_too
Can any of our basketball statistical historians can confirm how many other programs won their first three 1st round games?

I have to imagine the list is rather short.

It took a long time for us to get to the Dance, but we’re having a blast!
Hopefully some more fun before this season is done

I'm defining the first round as the first round played in a given tournament, excluding Opening Round/First Four games. As far as I can tell, the only other team that is undefeated in their first NCAA Tournament games is Tulane, who won their first game in 1992, 1993, and 1995, and lost their second game all three years and haven't made the tournament since.

As for teams that won their first three or more first round games, this is what I found:

First 12: Maryland (they are 27-3 in their first tournament games!)
First 8: Oklahoma State
First 7: California
First 5: Seton Hall
First 4: Lamar, Long Beach State, Michigan State, Notre Dame, Ohio State
First 3: Bradley, Canisius, Davidson, Drake, Duquesne, Georgia Tech, James Madison, Northeastern, Northwestern, San Francisco, Santa Clara, St. Bonaventure, Syracuse, Tulane, UNLV

(I'm having a wild Saturday night if you couldn't tell)
A unique statistic and some very impressive names there.

Maryland’s “record” in this may never be beat with parity at an all time high and increasing.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT