ADVERTISEMENT

Hull - redshirt or play out?

High Hopes Cat

Gold Member
Dec 20, 2007
Curious about opinions on this. Hull has now played in 3 games I believe. Would you have him play the next two games and use a year of eligibility, or sit him for one of the two to preserve the year?

I’d sit him. Hate the idea of not doing everything we can to win and tough for the seniors, but it’s not like the remaining games this year mean much. Think at this point you play for the future to at least some extent. No idea if he’s the answer going forward - hard to know how much of yesterday was him, how much was UMass. But I thought he played hard and well and I think worth preserving the extra year. If we were in the hunt for something relevant probably would view it differently.

Anyone advocating to play him in both games? Are there any other players in a similar situation?

My guess is he will likely need to play due to injuries yet to come. Not being dark here, if nothing else just the dings that occur during the game. Niro and Anderson are light and Minnesota is big. I would play him. Why not, other than JJ, what running back sees 4 years of play? Plus not like NU is unable to recruit RBs with similar skill sets.

Reactions: ricko654321
Agree with tech Tim. Play him when we can, who knows how long we'll have him based on injuries and other factors.

Reactions: mikero3
Curious about opinions on this. Hull has now played in 3 games I believe. Would you have him play the next two games and use a year of eligibility, or sit him for one of the two to preserve the year?

I’d sit him. Hate the idea of not doing everything we can to win and tough for the seniors, but it’s not like the remaining games this year mean much. Think at this point you play for the future to at least some extent. No idea if he’s the answer going forward - hard to know how much of yesterday was him, how much was UMass. But I thought he played hard and well and I think worth preserving the extra year. If we were in the hunt for something relevant probably would view it differently.

Anyone advocating to play him in both games? Are there any other players in a similar situation?

Sit him.

Reactions: NURoseBowl

He definitely plays against Minny. No doubt about that. Then, depending on the results, you decide whether he plays against LOLinois in the final (and his fifth) game.

The scenarios:

1. NU beats Minny -- and if Hull plays well against the Goofers, then you probably would play him against LOLinois, to go for the win in the LOL Hat game.

2. NU loses to Minny -- and if Hull is a non-factor, I would think you save his shirt and sit him in the final game, with the logic that he wouldn't change the outcome in the last game either way.

3. NU loses to Minny -- but Hull plays well. Then perhaps you play him in the final game because he'll probably be a key player to salvage the win.

Reactions: ricko654321
Play him both games. Always play to win.

Except if Hull is a non-factor against a real defense like Minny, I think you need to consider saving his shirt -- I saw him get thrown around a few times against UMass when there weren't gaping holes, and he definitely could use a little more muscle mass.

Except if Hull is a non-factor against a real defense like Minny, I think you need to consider saving his shirt -- I saw him get thrown around a few times against UMass when there weren't gaping holes, and he definitely could use a little more muscle mass.
If he is a non-factor why do you want him taking up a roster spot for a fifth year? My guess is unless somebody gets healthy in the RB room he plays. That is what happened to Colter. Plus I bet he wants to play. He had the time of his life yesterday.

If a guy can help you win one game, you ALWAYS play him. We aren't going to get a better draft pick by losing even though with our current QB/OC/Stubborn head coach problems, winning either of the last two games is impossible.

So many times I have seen players redshirt when they can help you win a game their frosh year, only to get seriously injured, transfer, regress or get buried in the depth chart in subsequent years.

Hull seems like the only guy who could actually take most of the carries. Drake is too small to take the pounding for more than 10-12 carries. Bowser, Moten and McGowan are done for the year. Brown I’m guessing is fine for the year. Niro is a part timer at RB. Who am I missing? Looks like there will be little choice but to play Hull.

Play him next week against the hometown Gophers, sit him against the Illini, keep his shirt.

Hull seems like the only guy who could actually take most of the carries. Drake is too small to take the pounding for more than 10-12 carries. Bowser, Moten and McGowan are done for the year. Brown I’m guessing is fine for the year. Niro is a part timer at RB. Who am I missing? Looks like there will be little choice but to play Hull.

Hull and Drake are almost exactly the same size.

So who's going to play RB? Johnson?
Put in a walkon RB. We are going to get beaten like a drum, so it is time to support the walkon Rudy guys and let them have some FB pics or snapchat or facetime moments.
Dont be a goof and burn shirts when it doesnt matter.
Do it for the team and let the boys have some fun.

Agree with tech Tim. Play him when we can, who knows how long we'll have him based on injuries and other factors.

This brings up an interesting consequence of the "4 game" redshirt rule . . . perhaps you play him simply because there's a decent chance that he'll get hurt in another year where he's played in 4 games or fewer, and that becomes his redshirt year. (Not specific to Hull in this case, just speaking in generalities that injuries are common.)

That being said, it does sound like the coaching staff intends to keep the shirt in tact.

I'm pretty sure Fitz said in today's press conference Hull has one more game to play.

Reactions: Titanium999
I would play him. It's pretty unlikely that a guy is healthy enough to play through 5 different seasons of B1G ball at RB. Look at all the injuries we've had this year at the position. So I'd play him now while he has the chance.

Though I agree with someone else (Virginia?) to some extent that it's worth asking the kid. And with DaCat that if we get smoked by Minny and Hull does not play well (or gets dinged up in some way that makes him marginal for Illinois) then might as well just sit him and preserve the RS year.

Sit him for one game. Get someone else healthy

This brings up an interesting consequence of the "4 game" redshirt rule . . . perhaps you play him simply because there's a decent chance that he'll get hurt in another year where he's played in 4 games or fewer, and that becomes his redshirt year. (Not specific to Hull in this case, just speaking in generalities that injuries are common.)

That being said, it does sound like the coaching staff intends to keep the shirt in tact.
How many games has Bowzer played this year?

Sit him!

ADVERTISEMENT