ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson/Big Ten West Article

It's a good read, and Wisconsin is the team to beat in the near term for sure.

But we haven't been that far away from them the past couple of years.

Last 4 games, we're 2-2 versus them and the 2 losses were fairly close and competitive games. They're a disciplined and well coached team, but not like facing a team that overwhelms you with talent like OSU/PSU.

I'd almost never say one player can make or break a team, but in football a great QB can be that difference.

All it takes is one year where we put together the same record we had this year but take the tiebreaker to get to the B1G CCG.

Give Hunter 3 years, and I definitely think we can get a 8-1 or 7-2 CCG appearance in there.

It's a good read, and Wisconsin is the team to beat in the near term for sure.

But we haven't been that far away from them the past couple of years.

Last 4 games, we're 2-2 versus them and the 2 losses were fairly close and competitive games. They're a disciplined and well coached team, but not like facing a team that overwhelms you with talent like OSU/PSU.

I'd almost never say one player can make or break a team, but in football a great QB can be that difference.

All it takes is one year where we put together the same record we had this year but take the tiebreaker to get to the B1G CCG.

Give Hunter 3 years, and I definitely think we can get a 8-1 or 7-2 CCG appearance in there.
Wait a minute, with Hunter Johnson, isn't NU the team to beat in the West?

Last edited:
Unless our OL play improves a couple steps and our outside skill guys emerge, probably not.
Exactly. Our defense is good enough and our running game has certainly been excellent. We have had some very good QB play, but not a strong passing game because of the inconsistency the OL and WRs. At the very least, we need to capitalize on the celebrity factor Johnson brings to recruit for these positions.

My quibble with the article is that the writer says the Nebraska and Purdue hires dwarf the recruitment of Johnson. If his point that Johnson makes the Cats competitive with Wisconsin is true,to be dwarfed would imply the belief that Purdue and Nebraska will soon surpass both the Cats and the Badgers with their coaching hires.

I didn’t read it that way. I interpreted it to mean that the Purdue and Nebraska hires were more impactful to those schools but that those schools have a bigger gap to close relative to Wisconsin than NU does.

Reactions: Aging Booster
Thanks for the jolt back to reality. With all the hype, I'd forgotten about that.

I'd suggest replacing "hype" with "euphoria." Under the circumstances a little euphoria is justified, but it's probably better not to get carried away. Also don't overlook what's happening in Lincoln.

Last edited:
I'd suggest replacing "hype" with "euphoria." Under the circumstances a little euphoria is justified, but it's probably better not to get carried away. Also don't overlook what's happening in Lincoln.

Nebraska has a ways to go to find the personnel necessary to compete for West titles.

Reactions: mikewebb68
Yes, euphoria is the better word, and I look forward to sharing some of it with you this fall.

Nebraska has a ways to go to find the personnel necessary to compete for West titles.
Your assessment is reassuring because I’ve talked to some Huskers who are very euphoric due to their new coaching staff.
Yes, euphoria is the better word, and I look forward to sharing some of it with you this fall.

Likewise. Are you coming in for Duke?

Reactions: stpaulcat
Your assessment is reassuring because I’ve talked to some Huskers who are very euphoric due to their new coaching staff.

Likewise. Are you coming in for Duke?
You betcha! I'm going to try to make every game except Akron.

ADVERTISEMENT