ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson Dark Horse 🐎 for First Team All Big Ten Next Year!

It would be great, but I bet he does not even start for us. Have you seen someone as lost as Hunter appeared last year turn it around? He did not have a redeeming moment that I can recall last year that would give me hope.

Reactions: Titanium999
I haven’t checked other years for comparison, but “five-star” or “top ten” does not always equate to “can’t miss.”

On the below list:
Davis Mills has been ‘fine’ at Stanford.
HuJo is still hoping for a breakthrough at his second school.
Jake Fromm is a third-string NFL’er, and Georgia fans will remember him as “the guy we chose over Justin Fields”
Robison and Hill have transferred twice.

And #9 Mac Jones was a Heisman finalist, though the third-best Heisman finalist on his team.

I haven’t checked other years for comparison, but “five-star” or “top ten” does not always equate to “can’t miss.”

On the below list:
Jake Fromm is a third-string NFL’er, and Georgia fans will remember him as “the guy we chose over Justin Fields”

And #9 Mac Jones was a Heisman finalist, though the third-best Heisman finalist on his team.

I believe Hunter can be better than Ramsey! Just watch or my name ain't Titanium999/Wrassler/ Whacko!

I believe Hunter can be better than Ramsey! Just watch or my name ain't Titanium999/Wrassler/ Whacko!
Wrassler...aren't you are sports psychologist? Maybe you could take on HJ as one of your clients?? HJ has all the physical skills to be as good or better than anybody. Perhaps you could tap into his skills and fix him between the ears?? If you can, I would vote for you as assistant coach of the year!

Wrassler...aren't you are sports psychologist? Maybe you could take on HJ as one of your clients?? HJ has all the physical skills to be as good or better than anybody. Perhaps you could tap into his skills and fix him between the ears?? If you can, I would vote for you as assistant coach of the year!
Hunter is gonna make the NFL! Jusr you watch his development this coming year! People will be saying Ramsey who?

On the below list:

It is interesting checking the other years. Generally speaking the 5 and high level 4 stars are names you hear of more than the 3 stars, but it isn't "can't miss" as you say. But, if you go through the years (and I went back all the way to Thorson and Alviti, who were the only NU players on any of the lists going way back to Alviti's year), the 3 stars may have a Joe Burrow here and there, but for the most part I never heard of 90% of them - you definitely want to see 4 and 5 stars picked up in your recruiting class, as it ain't 100% but the hit rates are a lot better than the 3 stars. I also saw in most (not all years) the top of the lists generally were pretty good. Lots of #1 (again not all) players ended up being stars. Though after looking at the list, you realize how difficult it is when every school is going after a QB and there's something less than 20, maybe 10-15 4 and 5 stars (adding up both pro and dual) per class. Guys like Justin Fields and Trevor Lawrence and Spencer Rattler (and Bo Nix) were at the top of their respective lists. Make sure to check the Dual list as well.

Interesting what the 2019 Pro list looks like given recent rumors:

Last edited:
The recruiting stars mean absolutely nothing when the live action starts in Power 5 football. HJ is among many many QB's who had the stars and measurables but not the intangibles that make a great QB. I know for a fact that the coaches found out pretty quickly that HJ had trouble "seeing the field" and "throwing people open". Dabo figured it out pretty quickly too. Great kid, good size and arm strength, but does have it for this level. Wish he did!

The recruiting stars mean absolutely nothing when the live action starts in Power 5 football. HJ is among many many QB's who had the stars and measurables but not the intangibles that make a great QB. I know for a fact that the coaches found out pretty quickly that HJ had trouble "seeing the field" and "throwing people open". Dabo figured it out pretty quickly too. Great kid, good size and arm strength, but does have it for this level. Wish he did!

What nonsense are you talking about. Hunter was in a three way battle and lost out to Kelly Bryant (incumbent starter who was ACC offensive player of the year) and once in a generational talent Trevor Lawrence.

Here's what Dabo had to say about Hunter: “But he’s an unbelievable talent and player.”

“He’s going to be a pro. He’ll be a kid that’s going to play this game a long time,” Swinney said. “Just a guy that I’ll be connected to forever. We’ll be friends forever. He’s truly one of the best players and one of the best young people that I’ve ever been around. We’re going to miss him, but wish him well. I know he’s in a good place that I think he can achieve his objectives and goals. We’ll pull for him all the way through and can’t wait to watch him be successful.”

Hunter may not win the starting job this fall nor ever play a snap for NU ever again. He may for whatever reason not be able to be our starting QB. But, please try not to rip a kid by talking from out of your ass.

You may be correct, but with the new Offensive Coordinator his talents may well come to be optimized. That added to another year of maturity could bode well for this year’s play. On top of that, whatever injury issues he had should now be in the rear view mirror.

NU fans who have lost hope for HJ must remember he was carrying McCall. You really can't tell how good he is as a QB nor can you tell how good the WRs are, cause they forever face 3rd and long and the opponents' D knows it's gonna be that way.

In addition he apparently had to cope with some personal problems that were big enough to distract him.

The upside to HJ is just huge. Here's hoping the new NU WRs can reach the level of last years' starters to make it easier for him.

You may be correct, but with the new Offensive Coordinator his talents may well come to be optimized. That added to another year of maturity could bode well for this year’s play. On top of that, whatever injury issues he had should now be in the rear view mirror.
Agreed! Hunter will spend one year as the starter and then 7 years or more in the NFL.

Ramsey and RCB bailed us out on 3rd and long many, many times this year. They're both gone.

Nonetheless, I agree with what you're saying. HJ gets another shot to prove he belongs with a fresh start and a new OC/QBs coach. HJ could do much better in a run heavy offense where he's asked to occasionally place a nice deep ball, instead of constantly timing a perfect pass on a crossing route.

Agreed! Hunter will spend one year as the starter and then 7 years or more in the NFL.

Ramsey and RCB bailed us out on 3rd and long many, many times this year. They're both gone.

Nonetheless, I agree with what you're saying. HJ gets another shot to prove he belongs with a fresh start and a new OC/QBs coach. HJ could do much better in a run heavy offense where he's asked to occasionally place a nice deep ball, instead of constantly timing a perfect pass on a crossing route.

Hats off to the Wrassler!
Kudos to EvanstonCat for resurrecting this thread. Looks like all of us are not always wrong all of the time.

What nonsense are you talking about. Hunter was in a three way battle and lost out to Kelly Bryant (incumbent starter who was ACC offensive player of the year) and once in a generational talent Trevor Lawrence.

Here's what Dabo had to say about Hunter: “But he’s an unbelievable talent and player.”

“He’s going to be a pro. He’ll be a kid that’s going to play this game a long time,” Swinney said. “Just a guy that I’ll be connected to forever. We’ll be friends forever. He’s truly one of the best players and one of the best young people that I’ve ever been around. We’re going to miss him, but wish him well. I know he’s in a good place that I think he can achieve his objectives and goals. We’ll pull for him all the way through and can’t wait to watch him be successful.”

Hunter may not win the starting job this fall nor ever play a snap for NU ever again. He may for whatever reason not be able to be our starting QB. But, please try not to rip a kid by talking from out of your ass.
Hunter is very fluid, with great mechanics on the long ball. He just needs to shorten his drop ( shoulders and hips on the short passes) which I believe are corrected.
The lower body dictates path. Shoulder turn comes after your lower body movements are mastered. Hunter will be in the pros.

Here is a tiktok video I made on the subject.

If its a prediction to be made, and you've got Wrassler, Corbi, and Clucko the Chicken, I'm going with Wrassler all the time. Though I imagine Clucko would give him a bit of a challenge.

OTOH, shorting Corbi's calls wouldn't be a bad strategy either.
LOL, you should start charging me rent for all the space I take up in your head. I like my prediction capabilities just fine. Certainly when it comes to football players. At least I have a clue what I am looking at. Do you really want to dredge up some of your finest pearls of wisdom that were spewed during some of your classic neurotic in game threads? There is a lot of material going back at least 20 years. Probably best not to go there.

Last edited:
LOL, you should start charging me rent for all the space I take up in your head. I like my prediction capabilities just fine. Certainly when it comes to football players. At least I have a clue what I am looking at. Do you really want to dredge up some of your finest pearls of wisdom that were spewed during some of your classic neurotic in game threads? There is a lot of material going back at least 20 years. Probably best not to go there.

Yeah, let's go there.

So what have I ever said that was as wrong as McCall is a good OC, McCall is here to stay, and HJ will never start for NU again? We never poach other school commits. We only make offers to kids if they've visited campus. Oh, and my favorite, our defense and offense cannot possibly be good at the same time, because that wouldn't be complementary football. Yes, you certainly have a clue at what you're looking at.

You might not want to start with the perspective that you chastised me the most for - thinking HJ might have a chance to one day compete for the starting QB role.

In any case, I do not profess to be an expert on anything as it relates to NU football. I bow down to the Wrassler on such things, at least in relation to you. And let me be clear. I know jackshit about NU football. The only difference between me and you in that department is that I'm self aware.

Last edited:

Unfortunately, that is his most intelligent place to speak from

Last edited:
Yeah, let's go there.

So what have I ever said that was as wrong as McCall is a good OC, McCall is here to stay, and HJ will never start for NU again? We never poach other school commits. We only make offers to kids if they've visited campus. Oh, and my favorite, our defense and offense cannot possibly be good at the same time, because that wouldn't be complementary football. Yes, you certainly have a clue at what you're looking at.

You might not want to start with the perspective that you chastised me the most for - thinking HJ might have a chance to one day compete for the starting QB role.

In any case, I do not profess to be an expert on anything as it relates to NU football. I bow down to the Wrassler on such things, at least in relation to you. And let me be clear. I know jackshit about NU football. The only difference between me and you in that department is that I'm self aware.

LOL, you wouldn’t know what a good OC looks like just like you have no clue what you are looking at when you watch a football game. Should we Dig up all the stupid shit you have said about NU players and coaches over the years. Should I go find the prescient posts with your evaluations of Mike Kafka as a QB? Heck, you are too busy posting stupid shit on game day threads to even watch a game with the attention that is required to really understand what is going on. You have no clue about McCall. McCall was part of a staff that helped NU post winning seasons repeatedly despite a roster that is half as talented as what is in place now. If TJ Green does not get hurt against Stanford, NU goes to a bowl game in 2019 and McCall would still be here winning ten games+ per year with an OL coach that actually has a clue what he is doing. That’s the reality of the situation whether you want to acknowledge it or not. Now in the end everything probably worked out as it should because Bajakian is terrific and McCall seemed to have worn out his welcome with the players but that has nothing to do with his capabilities as an OC. Now do me a favor and stop wasting my time with your nonsense. I am interested in talking NU football with like minded fans who actually have a clue about what they are talking about. That does not include you.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT