ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson scouting report?

BigNUFan51

Nov 29, 2015
Just like Fitz I am estastic that Hunter Johnson is a Wildcat. I think he ensures that we will have an experienced QB at the helm moving forward.

With that said I am not going to sit here and tell you that just because the guy was a top recruit means that he’s automatically going to be the opening day starter in 2019 let alone the best QB in program history.

The good news for Hunter is that he has an entire year to work with the coaches and learn from Clayton Thorson before having to compete in 2019.

Before Gocatsgo comes in and rudely "says watch the tape," I'll add that Bob Stoops, Dabo Swinney, and Nick Saban all did watch the tape and offered him a scholarship. 2 of those 3 guys have coached a recent Heisman trophy winning QB. I think he'll be pretty good.

Just like Fitz I am estastic that Hunter Johnson is a Wildcat. I think he ensures that we will have an experienced QB at the helm moving forward.

With that said I am not going to sit here and tell you that just because the guy was a top recruit means that he’s automatically going to be the opening day starter in 2019 let alone the best QB in program history.

The good news for Hunter is that he has an entire year to work with the coaches and learn from Clayton Thorson before having to compete in 2019.

Good. Very good. All the tools, just needs the opportunity.

(As an added bonus, #17 is none other than NU-bound Bryce Kirtz as a sophomore.)

(As an added bonus, #17 is none other than NU-bound Bryce Kirtz as a sophomore.)

Love how he keeps plays alive with his feet, but while he does so, he’s constantly keeping his eyes downfield. It’s not, “I’m under pressure, tucking it and running”. It’s “I’m under pressure, scrambling, and continuing to look for open receivers”.

I’m far from an expert, but I think that is such an underrated quality of a good QB.

Reactions: ChappyCat
Before Gocatsgo comes in and rudely "says watch the tape," I'll add that Bob Stoops, Dabo Swinney, and Nick Saban all did watch the tape and offered him a scholarship. 2 of those 3 guys have coached a recent Heisman trophy winning QB. I think he'll be pretty good.
Has the potential to be very good. We will see how he develops

Love how he keeps plays alive with his feet, but while he does so, he’s constantly keeping his eyes downfield. It’s not, “I’m under pressure, tucking it and running”. It’s “I’m under pressure, scrambling, and continuing to look for open receivers”.

I’m far from an expert, but I think that is such an underrated quality of a good QB.

Something Clayton could work on, to be sure.

As others have said, he looks like a Top 5 or Top 10 QB in the nation who just happened to get beaten out by someone who was just a bit closer to No. 1.

That's the sign of an athlete knowing how to play the QB position.

HJ has pretty good straight-line speed (was on his HS all-state 4x400 relay team), so probably faster than Thorsen.

Man, if HJ is a taller, bigger and faster Persa (not sure if he quite has Persa's juke moves) to go along w/ his cannon for an arm - that would be something to behold.

HJ has pretty good straight-line speed (was on his HS all-state 4x400 relay team), so probably faster than Thorsen.

Man, if HJ is a taller, bigger and faster Persa (not sure if he quite has Persa's juke moves) to go along w/ his cannon for an arm - that would be something to behold.

Try again. Johnson ran a 4.7 40 in HS. Thorson is faster in a straight line. Johnson is quicker laterally and more nimble overall but Thorson has more long speed.

You are correct.

Try again. Johnson ran a 4.7 40 in HS. Thorson is faster in a straight line. Johnson is quicker laterally and more nimble overall but Thorson has more long speed.

OK, jumped the gun there (in my excitement).

But we really won't know until both of them run the 40 at the combine and/or their pro day.

Spot on. He may not even be the most successful Hunter in program history. How quickly we forget Fitz’s super special teams weapon, Hunter “the Punter” Niswander. For shame, all of you.

Let’s all hold our horses until we see how this new commit reacts under pressure. Mr. Niswander once kicked a ball 80 yards in a live game. What has this new Hunter done in purple?

Spot on. He may not even be the most successful Hunter in program history. How quickly we forget Fitz’s super special teams weapon, Hunter “the Punter” Niswander. For shame, all of you.

Let’s all hold our horses until we see how this new commit reacts under pressure. Mr. Niswander once kicked a ball 80 yards in a live game. What has this new Hunter done in purple?
He hasn’t even stepped on the field and he has already improved our 2020 recruiting by adding credibility that we can get top recruits. Maybe I missed the sarcasm font.

Not sure about faster, but that's what I see. A bigger Persa with a better arm. I see similarities in accuracy and the way they keep plays alive and keep their eyes downfield. In terms of size and arm-strength, as much as I love Persa, Johnson looks like a significant upgrade.

Not sure about faster, but that's what I see. A bigger Persa with a better arm. I see similarities in accuracy and the way they keep plays alive and keep their eyes downfield. In terms of size and arm-strength, as much as I love Persa, Johnson looks like a significant upgrade.
To me Johnson doesn't look like Persa at all. He reminds me of Zak Kustok, but faster with a better arm.

It’s freakish how accurate he looks while throwing on the run from awkward angles. PLENTY of arm strength there too.
Well it is a highlight reel. Although a long one because there are so many highlights

To me Johnson doesn't look like Persa at all. He reminds me of Zak Kustok, but faster with a better arm.
So in other words, Zak Kustock was a poor mans Hunter Johnson. Or should that be HJ is a rich man's ZK

All due respect to Persa who I thought was great, but Hunter throws a much prettier ball.

He hasn’t even stepped on the field and he has already improved our 2020 recruiting by adding credibility that we can get top recruits. Maybe I missed the sarcasm font.
My brother, if I have to use the sarcasm font then I’ve done a very poor job with my post. I laid it on a bit thick there but I realize tone is lost in text, and I’m excited to see Hunter 2.0 in purple as a QB.

But seriously, Hunter 1.0 was our best punter in quite some time and this “new Hunter” has big shoes to fill. We’ll see what he’s got next year.

My amateur assessment- Really impressive arm and accuracy, especially on the run and does great keeping his eyes downfield while evading the rush. Tons of good throws on rollout plays. Does seem like mostly a first read guy, until he gets on the run, but that's prob true of everyone in HS I imagine. Also seems to have tendency to sometimes sail throws high to the outside, through I suppose that's okay / better than sailing throws on the inside. Has a beautiful, natural quick release. Also should be a good fit to run our style of offense, or maybe even spice it up and make it more exciting.

ADVERTISEMENT