ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson to transfer

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
https://247sports.com/Article/Clems...ive-star-Hunter-Johnson-to-transfer-118396923

Expect Johnson, an Indiana native, to look at Purdue and Northwestern for his next stop, sources tell 247Sports. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Johnson will have to sit out next season and will be eligible starting in 2019. He'll have three years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the field that year.

Considering his family already knows Fitz and NU well, and that Thorson will be gone in 2019, seems like a really good option for Hunter. Would completely change my outlook for the offense going forward.

https://247sports.com/Article/Clems...ive-star-Hunter-Johnson-to-transfer-118396923

Expect Johnson, an Indiana native, to look at Purdue and Northwestern for his next stop, sources tell 247Sports. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Johnson will have to sit out next season and will be eligible starting in 2019. He'll have three years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the field that year.

Considering his family already knows Fitz and NU well, and that Thorson will be gone in 2019, seems like a really good option for Hunter. Would completely change my outlook for the offense going forward.
Yea, I’d be OK with getting a former national top-10, 5-Star recruit with ties to the program as a replacement for Cale Millen.

Perfect fit at NU and I'd been thinking this was a possibility ever since Lawrence headed there. Could redshirt in 2018 while learning the offense, then have the reins for three years (sorry Smith, Marty, and Whittaker... he's just better) without worrying about coaching turnover.

We can beat Purdue, though Brohm's offense is probably appealing.

Reactions: freewillie07

This would be huge. If he does pick NU, I could see us skipping a QB entirely in the 2019 class.

Reactions: CoralSpringsCat

An recent article in SB Nation list Notre Dame, Penn State and Tennessee as options. How and when did it get reduced to Purdue and Northwestern. Is this just wishful thinklng?

This would be huge. If he does pick NU, I could see us skipping a QB entirely in the 2019 class.

I agree. After all, if he came to Northwestern now and had to sit out a year it would not be much different than an incoming freshman who red shirts for a year.

An recent article in SB Nation list Notre Dame, Penn State and Tennessee as options. How and when did it get reduced to Purdue and Northwestern. Is this just wishful thinklng?

I am fairly sure that you were looking at an article that was written a while back before he committed to Clemson. Check the date of that article. The 247 article is current.

I am fairly sure that you were looking at an article that was written a while back before he committed to Clemson. Check the date of that article. The 247 article is current.

Yep.

This is not just wishful thinking.

Sorry Florida but 5/21/2018 at 9:57AM does not seem that long ago to me (I guess awhile back was an exaggeration. They are on ET after all.) Look for yourself www.sbnation.com Doesn't even mention NU or Purdue.

The linked article is current and cites sources indicating NU and Purdue are strong contenders for his services. He'll want to go to a school he is familiar with and with a depth chart that offers certainty for him to start. Given his familiarity with the NU program because of his older brother and considering our depth chart post Clayton, I think NU is tailor made for him.

Sorry Florida but 5/21/2018 at 9:57AM does not seem that long ago to me (I guess awhile back was an exaggeration. They are on ET after all.) Look for yourself www.sbnation.com Doesn't even mention NU or Purdue.

That article has zero sourcing and only lists those schools because they recruited him in high school.

I’ll say it again: This is not just wishful thinking.

He was also an All-State track athlete in high school. In 2015 he ran a personal best 11.07 100 meters.

The Purdue Rivals Board already has him at Purdue and the big debate is whether or not he is certain to start over Sindelar in 2019. LOL. Jumping the gun a bit. I can guarantee Johnson isn't going to any school where there is even a modest chance that he is not the starter in 2019.

The Purdue Rivals Board already has him at Purdue and the big debate is whether or not he is certain to start over Sindelar in 2019. LOL. Jumping the gun a bit. I can guarantee Johnson isn't going to any school where there is even a modest chance that he is not the starter in 2019.

Interesting angle that both NU and Purdue have been actively recruiting Kirtz, who's also a Brownsburg guy.

Getting Johnson would literally be a perfect fit for NU.

Interesting angle that both NU and Purdue have been actively recruiting Kirtz, who's also a Brownsburg guy.

True about Kirtz. I assume he played with Johnson in HS. From Lou's reporting, Kirtz seems to be down to NU and IU so that could potentially give us another leg up on Purdue when it comes to Johnson.

I'm more concerned about the perfect fit for Johnson .... which I believe we are.

GOUNUII

Worth noting: Hazell was the head coach at the time of Purdue’s initial recruitment of Hunter.

I realize Brohm is somewhat exciting, but relationships matter.

Worth noting: Hazell was the head coach at the time of Purdue’s initial recruitment of Hunter.

On the flipside, NU has a relationship with the Brownsburg coaches all the way back to Kyle Christy's recruiting process in the class of 2011.

It's also worth noting that Johnson's older brother Cole was on the NU football team a few years ago.

Reactions: ricko654321
I cannot imagine anyone beating out Sindelar for that job at Purdue. He's a good player.

Reactions: NJCat

I mean, how perfect would this be? You couldn't script it any better. Three years left. Family tie to program.

The quickie story...

Cats in the hunt to land QB Hunter Johnson as transfer

Perfect fit at NU and I'd been thinking this was a possibility ever since Lawrence headed there. Could redshirt in 2018 while learning the offense, then have the reins for three years (sorry Smith, Marty, and Whittaker... he's just better) without worrying about coaching turnover.

We can beat Purdue, though Brohm's offense is probably appealing.
But here he would have a wide open shot at starting as soon as he is eligible. Does Purdue have that to offer?

I cannot imagine anyone beating out Sindelar for that job at Purdue. He's a good player.

He is but Johnson has star potential. Nothing I've read about his time at Clemson indicates that his performance was at all disappointing. He produced when he played in limited action as a true freshman and he played very well in the Spring game. Clemson just has an embarrassment of riches at QB right now and deciding which one plays is like drawing straws. It would not surprise me if Johnson ends up being the best out of the QBs that were at Clemson.

It's also worth noting that Johnson's older brother Cole was on the NU football team a few years ago.

I already noted that, as does Lou.

Was specifically pointing out why Purdue would be behind NU as far as the relationship department.

I already noted that, as does Lou.

Was specifically pointing out why Purdue would be behind NU as far as the relationship department.

NU also has a head start with the coaches at Brownsburg. NU very actively recruited K Kyle Christy in the class of 2011 before he committed to Florida.

It would be a perfect fit for NU but would it be the perfect fit for him? Since he would be the one deciding, it would seem that how he views the fit would become more important.

It would be a perfect fit for NU but would it be the perfect fit for him? Since he would be the one deciding, it would seem that how he views the fit would become more important.

Yes, he has long considered NU a great fit. The appeal is only stronger now post-Dabo.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT