ADVERTISEMENT

Hunter Johnson to transfer

We finally have a good defense and special teams. Just missing a QB!

And an offense. Don’t hold your breath that Debord will deliver that. His idea of an innovative offense is right out of a 1970s playbook.

I just continue to be skeptical and nervous NU will be able to beat out a blueblood when they come calling (and they will). The things in NU's favor are all outstanding and it still seems like NU is the leader right now, but the same things we say to Purdue and Indiana someone else can say to us. What if Ohio State wants him? Or Michigan? Or Notre Dame? Or Stanford? or USC? or Penn State? We have all the reasons in the world to feel good at this point, but those lures could be very strong to someone who, frankly, is a recruit we've never been able to land before. Even if those schools can't guarantee him a chance to start, they CAN guarantee him something NU has never been able to guarantee - a shot at being in the conversation for a national championship. You think he wants a shot at Clemson in the CFP? My hope is that NU can give him that shot!

The things we can promise him, right now, put us at the top of the list from our point of view, and I'll try to be cautiously optimistic, but I'm just a worrier by nature.

Well no one on the NU staff ever had him committed! Anything can happen! But i think IU would be more appealing to him also because we play in the BTN east. That's big time when you get to go against the best in the country.

LOL. You're reaching now, sport. This factor is probably #47 on the top ten list of reasons why a kid will choose either IU or NU.

I just continue to be skeptical and nervous NU will be able to beat out a blueblood when they come calling (and they will). The things in NU's favor are all outstanding and it still seems like NU is the leader right now, but the same things we say to Purdue and Indiana someone else can say to us. What if Ohio State wants him? Or Michigan? Or Notre Dame? Or Stanford? or USC? or Penn State? We have all the reasons in the world to feel good at this point, but those lures could be very strong to someone who, frankly, is a recruit we've never been able to land before. Even if those schools can't guarantee him a chance to start, they CAN guarantee him something NU has never been able to guarantee - a shot at being in the conversation for a national championship. You think he wants a shot at Clemson in the CFP? My hope is that NU can give him that shot!

The things we can promise him, right now, put us at the top of the list from our point of view, and I'll try to be cautiously optimistic, but I'm just a worrier by nature.

Why not just stay at Clemson if he wants to play for an elite program? The QB depth charts will be just as daunting at those programs you mentioned. He is transferring first and foremost because he wants certainty of starting in 2019.

I agree that bluebloods can always be a problem for this kind of recruit, But he already tried that. For the blueblood to be real competition, they have to have a Sr QB or someone that is guaranteed to move on after this year and have limited backup and no QB in this class, and probably have a history of putting QBs at the next level. Most of those Bluebloods do not fit that description. For example how many QBs have OSU and AL put in the league? They have high level athletic talent at the position. They are bluebloods more because of the overall depth of talent but QBs don't really do well at getting to the next level. Exceptions are schools like Oklahoma, Clemson and USC but what are their situations? Others do not really have the QB ready to move on with no one in the pipeline. So while blueblood programs are always hard competition, I see them as less viable in this situation.

Why not just stay at Clemson if he wants to play for an elite program? The QB depth charts will be just as daunting at those programs you mentioned. He is transferring first and foremost because he wants certainty of starting in 2019.
Not necessarily certainty but at least very high probability

Fitz isn't their QB coach, nor an offensive headcoach... But alas this is a homeboard.

I'd be as worried about Greg Olson being back at Purdue as I would about the "QB whisperer". The Brohms haven't proven much yet and Brian would be Johnson's QB coach.

https://247sports.com/Article/Clems...ive-star-Hunter-Johnson-to-transfer-118396923

Expect Johnson, an Indiana native, to look at Purdue and Northwestern for his next stop, sources tell 247Sports. Due to NCAA transfer rules, Johnson will have to sit out next season and will be eligible starting in 2019. He'll have three years of eligibility remaining when he returns to the field that year.

Considering his family already knows Fitz and NU well, and that Thorson will be gone in 2019, seems like a really good option for Hunter. Would completely change my outlook for the offense going forward.

Just discovered that he has his own Wikipedia page.

That might be a first for an NU recruit.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hunter_Johnson_(American_football)

I believe this is down to IU and NW. I'm an IU fan and i like our chances. Our current OC Debord and QB coach Sheridan had Johnson committed to TN when they were coaching there. And I heard our new strength coach is well respected by the Johnson. As they know him from his Avon HS days when he was the strength coach for Johnson's older brother. Anything can happen but given our relationships with the Johnson family I REALLY like our chances.
This is an NU / Purdue battle. IU has next to no shot.

Maybe it's just me, but I'm not terribly convinced by "DeBord/Sheridan once had Johnson committed to Tennessee." After all, he did end up decommitting.

Plus there's the NU family connection as well, which would seem to counteract that previous relationship as well.
Sheridan was a GA at UT and wasn't permitted to recruit away from campus, and DeBord had such an impact that Johnson decommitted.

Reactions: Inovacat
Hey guys. I come in peace. I'm more so curious as to why you think he will be so quick to leave Purdue. I mean, yes, we are coming off the Hazell era, but a lot has changed since then. I'd even argue that Purdue could be a destination job for him. I'd think him moving to Louisville at the moment would be a pretty lateral move. Especially wants he gets our talent built up. Right now we have a bunch of guys that didn't have a P5 offer. But he's got some good players coming in. So like I said, I guess I'm just curious as to why you guys think Purdue is a joke of a job and he's bound to leave in the next couple years?

No one said Purdue was a joke of a job. It just seems to be the general consensus that it isn't the final destination of Brohm. Especially if Louisville comes calling.

I'm not sure he would leave for Louisville though. It might be wishful thinking, but I think Purdue is a better job to have. I don't see brohm leaving in the next 5 to 6 years. And by that time, I think Purdue will have won the big ten west at least once.

I'm not sure he would leave for Louisville though. It might be wishful thinking, but I think Purdue is a better job to have. I don't see brohm leaving in the next 5 to 6 years. And by that time, I think Purdue will have won the big ten west at least once.

He’s a Louisville native who played and coached at Louisville. I’m pretty sure he would take hat job if offered, which it could be as soon as after this season (Petrino could very well be out if/when they stumble without Lamar Jackson). I mostly wonder if he will keep getting interest from SEC teams.

Hey guys. I come in peace. I'm more so curious as to why you think he will be so quick to leave Purdue. I mean, yes, we are coming off the Hazell era, but a lot has changed since then. I'd even argue that Purdue could be a destination job for him. I'd think him moving to Louisville at the moment would be a pretty lateral move. Especially wants he gets our talent built up. Right now we have a bunch of guys that didn't have a P5 offer. But he's got some good players coming in. So like I said, I guess I'm just curious as to why you guys think Purdue is a joke of a job and he's bound to leave in the next couple years?

Like NU, Purdue is a coach dependent job with no built in recruiting turf. Unlike NU, Purdue has nothing to distinguish itself on the recruiting trail from so many other State U schools. Get a highly respected, charismatic and successful coach who is a Purdue guy and over time it can be done. But Brohm isn't that guy. His roots are at Louisville. And they run deep. His anticipated success at Purdue (relatively speaking) will make him a prime target for higher paying jobs where success comes far more easily than in West Lafayette. That might be at Louisville or elsewhere. We went through that with Fitz. Held onto him only because he is a Northwestern guy, and we ponied up big time on the facilities, budget and coach's pay fronts. Hundreds of millions of $$$$ were committed to keep Fitz and the ongoing upward trajectory he brings to the program.

GOUNUII

How can you honestly say that Purdue is a better job than Louisville based on the track record of the two programs over the last ten years? Even if he viewed it as a lateral move, it is his alma mater and a school he coached at. There is likely an emotional connection there that no school can duplicate. It’s the same reason why Fitzgerald has turned down several jobs that most would view as superior to NU and why Fitzgerald will likely never leave NU for another job.

I can say the same thing for Brohm. We brought in a new AD who's interested in winning. We have built a $65 million dollar football only facility, added lights, rebranded, returfed the field, about to redo the sound system, there are plans for a $250 million dollar south endzone project on the stadium, Brohm is currently making 3.8 million and by the end of his contract, he will be at 4.5 million. His assistant coaching pool is 3.9 million which allowed him to hire a recruiting director from NU and OSU. Bobinski is giving him everything he wants and needs to be successful. Basically, Purdue is playing with the big boys and will make it hard for brohm to leave. Here is the master plan. http://www.purduefootballmasterplan.com

Purdue isn't the same job it was 2 years ago. That comparison between Purdue then and Purdue now are very hard to make. Other than Purdue 2 years ago gave no coach a chance to succeed.

I can say the same thing for Brohm. We brought in a new AD who's interested in winning. We have built a $65 million dollar football only facility, added lights, rebranded, returfed the field, about to redo the sound system, there are plans for a $250 million dollar south endzone project on the stadium, Brohm is currently making 3.8 million and by the end of his contract, he will be at 4.5 million. His assistant coaching pool is 3.9 million which allowed him to hire a recruiting director from NU and OSU. Bobinski is giving him everything he wants and needs to be successful. Basically, Purdue is playing with the big boys and will make it hard for brohm to leave. Here is the master plan. http://www.purduefootballmasterplan.com

You didn’t address the most important consideration of all. Brohm played at Louisville, coached at Louisville and was born and raised in Louisville. Louisville is home and nothing Purdue does will ever change that. That emotional connection cannot be beat.

No your right. That doesn't mean he will, wants to, or plans to go back. He very well could. But it's no guarantee.

No your right. That doesn't mean he will, wants to, or plans to go back. He very well could. But it's no guarantee.
His track record is one and two and three year stops since leaving Louisville. This is the first head job (and he was a great hire), but he has no connection to Purdue and I think his instinct is to “look around”. Purdue’s a tough place to win - third banana in a football-poor state (we’re at best third-banana in Chicago, so we can empathize) - and there’s probably a ceiling that doesn’t include national championships.

3rd banana? Who's the second? If your going to say iu, their football program has had their most successful 4 year run in history. He was head coach at wku though. Took the Purdue job and used Tennessee as leverage at Purdue. Brohm is a very modest guy it seems. I think that plays to purdues advantage. Again, not saying he won't go, but I think Purdue offers enough that it won't be easy. And if he does leave, no reason to think we won't get another good coach. Heck, maybe the Kevin Sumlin and Purdue thing will finally work out.

3rd banana? Who's the second? If your going to say iu, their football program has had their most successful 4 year run in history. He was head coach at wku though. Took the Purdue job and used Tennessee as leverage at Purdue. Brohm is a very modest guy it seems. I think that plays to purdues advantage. Again, not saying he won't go, but I think Purdue offers enough that it won't be easy. And if he does leave, no reason to think we won't get another good coach. Heck, maybe the Kevin Sumlin and Purdue thing will finally work out.

Don't live there, but I get the distinct impression that the Indiana college athletic hierarchy goes Notre Dame >>>>>> Indiana > Purdue.

LSU is an offer to Brohm that would concern me. He is exactly what an offensive starved program will look for. Ed O. Is going to bumble away the big games 17-10 and LSU will be clamoring for the hot young coach perceived to be an offense guy.

In basketball, it's probably iu, Purdue, Notre Dame/Butler. In football, it's Notre Dame, Purdue, Iu. So yes and no. As for LSU, I don't think brohm would go that far, plus Purdue pays Brohm more than LSU pays ogeron.

Like NU, Purdue is a coach dependent job with no built in recruiting turf. Unlike NU, Purdue has nothing to distinguish itself on the recruiting trail from so many other State U schools. Get a highly respected, charismatic and successful coach who is a Purdue guy and over time it can be done. But Brohm isn't that guy. His roots are at Louisville. And they run deep. His anticipated success at Purdue (relatively speaking) will make him a prime target for higher paying jobs where success comes far more easily than in West Lafayette. That might be at Louisville or elsewhere. We went through that with Fitz. Held onto him only because he is a Northwestern guy, and we ponied up big time on the facilities, budget and coach's pay fronts. Hundreds of millions of $$$$ were committed to keep Fitz and the ongoing upward trajectory he brings to the program.

GOUNUII
NU did not pony up all the $ in facilities to keep Fitz. What other jobs has Fitz been rumored to have offers from in the last 5 years? He has gained some popul

GOUNUII
I don't think NU spent all that $ to keep Fitz. He has re

NU did not pony up all the $ in facilities to keep Fitz. What other jobs has Fitz been rumored to have offers from in the last 5 years? He has gained some popul

Well perhaps reading the Yahoo article linked in the thread about the new practice facility (article on Taj FItz thread) will dispel your misconception.

In basketball, it's probably iu, Purdue, Notre Dame/Butler. In football, it's Notre Dame, Purdue, Iu. So yes and no. As for LSU, I don't think brohm would go that far, plus Purdue pays Brohm more than LSU pays ogeron.

Because LSU had Orgeron by the balls and he had zero leverage. If LSU were to come calling for Brohm, I'm fully confident that it would be at a multiple to his Purdue salary.

He ragained some respect the last 2 years but what jobs has he been rumored to been offered in the last 5 years. Continued slow starts has taken a toll. I still like Fitz but we all seem to fall back in love with him and his staff in the off-season.

He ragained some respect the last 2 years but what jobs has he been rumored to been offered in the last 5 years. Continued slow starts has taken a toll. I still like Fitz but we all seem to fall back in love with him and his staff in the off-season.

"Fitzgerald grew up in a blue-collar family on Chicago’s South Side, played at Northwestern as an undersized linebacker on their last Big Ten title team (1996) and has resisted endless overtures over the years to leave. (That includes calls from six different NFL teams and interest from USC, Michigan and Penn State. Fitzgerald never spoke directly to any of them.) When the steel finally went into the ground, he admits he got “really emotional.” And when Northwestern held its first practice on April 7, he says “it just smacked me in the face.” As his team went through drills, Fitzgerald looked around and became so overwhelmed he began to cry. (Phillips and Ryan both did as well on Ryan’s first tour of the near-completed facility.)"

https://sports.yahoo.com/move-clems...-unparalleled-college-football-220858185.html

Notre Dame also showed interest.

Also of note:

"Fitzgerald ended up signing a 10-year contract soon after. (He’s since done another.) Included in it were deadlines that would waive his buyout if the facility wasn’t finished, a common contractual nuance when schools promise new facilities. Ryan, 81, has been around long enough to recall Parseghian leaving for Notre Dame and Gary Barnett for Colorado. He didn’t want to lose another top-shelf coach, calling the day Fitzgerald decided to stay, “a historical moment in time for the university. Not just the athletic program, but the university in total.”

So yes, the facilities were built in part to keep Fitz around.

"Fitzgerald grew up in a blue-collar family on Chicago’s South Side, played at Northwestern as an undersized linebacker on their last Big Ten title team (1996) and has resisted endless overtures over the years to leave. (That includes calls from six different NFL teams and interest from USC, Michigan and Penn State. Fitzgerald never spoke directly to any of them.) When the steel finally went into the ground, he admits he got “really emotional.” And when Northwestern held its first practice on April 7, he says “it just smacked me in the face.” As his team went through drills, Fitzgerald looked around and became so overwhelmed he began to cry. (Phillips and Ryan both did as well on Ryan’s first tour of the near-completed facility.)"

https://sports.yahoo.com/move-clems...-unparalleled-college-football-220858185.html

Notre Dame also showed interest.

Also of note:

"Fitzgerald ended up signing a 10-year contract soon after. (He’s since done another.) Included in it were deadlines that would waive his buyout if the facility wasn’t finished, a common contractual nuance when schools promise new facilities. Ryan, 81, has been around long enough to recall Parseghian leaving for Notre Dame and Gary Barnett for Colorado. He didn’t want to lose another top-shelf coach, calling the day Fitzgerald decided to stay, “a historical moment in time for the university. Not just the athletic program, but the university in total.”

So yes, the facilities were built in part to keep Fitz around.
When was that article for the first statement written? Fitzgerald grew up in a blue-collar family on Chicago’s South Side, played at Northwestern as an undersized linebacker on their last Big Ten title team (1996) But our last BIG title team was 2000

Reactions: Windy City Cat Fan
ADVERTISEMENT