I allow my gaze to wander from the complete Stittshow happening...

Discussion in 'Wildcat Rant Board' started by cattul, Jul 24, 2020.

1. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

...in Oklahoma, to find that our awful Sen. Inhofe (from Des Moines, Iowa) has promised the great pumpkin that the Senate will (for no explicable reason) defend bases named after confederates.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/poli...ec1a96-cdbf-11ea-bc6a-6841b28d9093_story.html

This presents is a nice ‘poison veto’ opportunity. The Senate should, instead, tie a base name change amendment to the next relief package. Force Trump to publicly accept defeat or cause Americans to starve on the streets in defense of Braxton Bragg.

Edit: for those who can’t read the article, the House and Senate both passed defense authorization bills instructing the Pentagon to rename the bases, by veto proof margins. I’m not actually suggesting taking a risk on Trump making a rational choice. I’m assuming an override would happen immediately, in case the White House ghouls (looking at you, Miller) have his orangeness’ ear the day of the veto.

But I think he would just ‘eat it.’

Edit2: Just a reminder of how inexplicable this is, a Senator originally from Iowa, elected in Oklahoma, is mounting a defense of confederate base names. Oklahoma wasn’t even a state during the Clvil War, nor would it be for many decades. Obstinacy is its own ‘cause’, I guess.

Edit 3: Depending on how far Cruz, Paul et al are willing to take their opposition, the Senate may need Democratic votes. Especially with Romney’s help in withholding his vote. This could potentially be pulled off. Any GOP Senators dreaming of post-Trump party leadership?

1 cattul, Jul 24, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
    corbi296 and willycat like this.
  2. stpaulcat

stpaulcat Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Keep in mind, Inhofe spelled backwards is Efohni, an equally stupid name perfectly suited to this Efinfonhi.

Gladeskat likes this.
  3. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

What a terrible governor.

Every news cycle, reasonable Oklahomans can once again see: the petroleum industry’s Stitt’s an ass.

He puts together a panel to analyze the impacts of the McGirt decision on Oklahoma, and appoints a bunch of his old, white republican oily buddies...not one Native American. He throws away $1.5 million defending unwinnable lawsuits, triggered by his stupid actions attempting to go around tribal opposition, in the horrifyingly familiar manner of former OK AG Scott Pruitt (from Kentucky.)

He is being a real leader, and kicking mask decisions and enforcement down to understaffed local schools.

Still, my personal fave, among quality Stitt moments:

His recent pick of another former petroleum executive to run the Commissioners of the Land Office has brought unwelcome publicity after it was reported that the $170,000-a-year post went to a man who filed for bankruptcy last year and owed the Land Office more than $207,000.
    That is Oklahoma Gov. Kevin Stitt (from Florida) today, paid for by the barrel.

3 cattul, Jul 26, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 26, 2020
  4. Hungry Jack

Hungry Jack Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Sounds like Stitt belongs in Illinois

cattul likes this.
  5. rwhitney014

rwhitney014 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Are your fellow Sooners ever gonna get sick of all this? Between Inhofe and Stitt, that's a whole lot of dumb.

6. Gladeskat

Gladeskat Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

And Pruitt as well. Especially Pruitt.

NUCat320 likes this.
  7. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

To be fair, we also have Oklahoma Sen. Lankford (from Dallas, Texas) who is surprisingly thoughtful and enlightened, though unwilling to make a brave unpopular stand without folding. The GOP has a leadership vacuum, but Lankford clearly wishes to be ahead of the party on a number of issues. Wishes are nice.

NU Houston likes this.
  8. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Look, I know that nobody here cares about Oklahoma’s Governor, but this thread wouldn’t be complete without the inevitable:

BREAKING
    Federal judge: Gov. Stitt wrong on tribal gaming compacts' expiration date

Bye bye $1.5 million. Great job Stitt! So, everything is months behind schedule. We somehow inconceivably managed to become even more broke. And all further negotiations have been poisoned.

If the tribes wish to secede from the state, and form the “Great Union of Eastlahoma,” I’m on board. We would have all the pretty parts of the state, anyway.

Edit: I’m really downplaying both the cost and stupidity of all of this. Republican Stitt (from Florida) also faces multiple lawsuits filed against him by the Republican Senate President Pro Tem and the Republican House Speaker from the state legislature. Members of his own party have become Stittkickers. Plus, there will be lawsuits from the tribes he made illegal compacts with. Big $$$.

8 cattul, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  9. NUCat320

NUCat320 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

I want ALL THE OKLAHOMA NEWS.

Gladeskat likes this.
  10. willycat

willycat Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Especially the announcements that no college football will be played in 2020.

11. CatManTrue

CatManTrue Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If you think there won’t be football at every level in Oklahoma this fall, you are kidding yourself.

12. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This year has been exceptionally eventful in Oklahoma, with lots of Stitt in the news.

12 cattul, Jul 28, 2020
    Last edited: Jul 28, 2020
  13. Fitz51

Fitz51 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

Are OK and OKST just going to play each other 10 times? I guess Tulsa could get in on the mix, too.

Hungry Jack likes this.
  14. CatManTrue

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Texas and all of their schools will be in on the mix too.

Including A&M at the SEC. Football is nearly a religion down there.

15. Fitz51

Fitz51 Well-Known Member
    Expand Collapse

So is Christianity, and neither one is gonna save them from the 'Rona.

DaCat likes this.
  16. CatManTrue

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

...and they’re still going to pray for more football, and they’ll get it.

17. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Double down on the stubborn and stupid!

Oklahoma Senator Inhofe (from Iowa) put Trump on speakerphone in an Italian restaurant in DC for a chat about the Senate blocking base name changes, now online.

What pathetic people Trump and Inhofe are. On the wrong side of every cause, and completely out of touch with the modern world.

Edit: Did Inhofe basically reveal that there are forgery suspicions against Gen Tata? Aside from ‘all of his divorces?’ I don’t like the general, but that is rough treatment of a withdrawn nominee, if so. #ETTD

Edit2: What must the ‘other bad stuff’ be, if forgery was what Inhofe felt comfortable mentioning openly?

Edit3: It’s back to the same old Stitt, in Oklahoma. But this is truly Sen. Inhofe’s hour to shine in the spotlight.

Gov. Stitt goes sans mask, says 'I've already had COVID.' What's the CDC say?

The governor was reportedly the only person not wearing a mask at the briefing, which was held to announce that Oklahoma schools would receive $10 million in CARES Act funding for personal protective equipment.

https://tulsaworld.com/news/local/g...e_47769a1d-d0bb-5d8b-8171-607ad517a281.html#1

17 cattul, Jul 31, 2020 at 5:44 PM
    Last edited: Jul 31, 2020 at 7:08 PM
  18. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

This is pure Tulsa political spam. I’m only posting it as I wonder how much of a canary in the coal mine we are for the GOP (as if a humiliating rally which derailed an entire campaign wasn’t enough.)

Any further Oklahoma spam I post, I will confine to this thread, so you can ignore it, if news from the hinterlands (quite understandably) isn’t your kind of thing.

——

So, we have a good local news source in Tulsa called The Black Wall Street Times. We also have a mayoral election coming up in a few weeks.

When writing up the results of a recent online poll, the news site revealed the demographics of their readership:

https://theblackwallsttimes.com/2020/07/28/whos-leading-the-tulsa-mayoral-race/

It reveals precisely what the Medicaid expansion ballot proposition did: a political union of Midtown (educated professionals) and north Tulsa (still a largely segregated Black majority area) can be a potent force, even in a very red state.

https://oklahomawatch.org/2020/07/01/how-oklahoma-voted-on-medicaid-expansion/

The tiny little bits of blue (the coalition mentioned above in Tulsa and OKC, plus counties with colleges or one of the tribal nation‘s headquarters) combined to change the Oklahoma constitution, and force Medicaid expansion.

The mayoral race will be a firm test of the power of that alliance at the city level. A white Republican incumbent is going head to head with a savvy (national campaign experience) Black activist and campaigner, with the mostly white professionals (suburban equivalent) seemingly throwing their lot in with the latter.

Edit: I won’t say which one, but Inhofe’s home voting district is in one of the reliably blue zip codes mentioned. He will never ‘win’ his own street. Sad.

18 cattul, Aug 1, 2020 at 2:27 PM
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 10:34 AM
  19. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Just a reminder. As near as I can tell, Inhofe and Trump were discussing Ret. Gen. Tata’s confirmation process in the recorded call. And as near as I can tell, Inhofe says:

No, no. All of his divorces, all of these things that, we won’t get into the fact that there’s some question as to whether or not he forged a document. I don’t want to get into this, but uh...(animal bellowing)...there is some real bad things in that.

And Trump just stuck Tata as the unconfirmed deputy to the unfilled confirmable position. Might be nice to know what he allegedly forged, no?

https://www.defensenews.com/pentago...ointed-to-top-defense-job-bypassing-congress/

Edit: It is known, Khaleesi. A fraudulent document filed in a case.

https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article35852217.html

19 cattul, Aug 3, 2020 at 12:40 PM
    Last edited: Aug 3, 2020 at 2:47 PM
  20. rwhitney014

rwhitney014 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Hm, I wonder why Trump might not want to set a precedent for punitive action against individuals who forged documents.

willycat likes this.
  21. Hungry Jack

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I had no idea Oklahoma was so interesting. I have always wanted to visit the panhandle, only because I think it’s cool that a state can have a panhandle.

22. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

If you wish to experience a complete lack of experience, a brief visit to the panhandle is recommended. The trouble is, brevity is impossible. Once you head down that road, you are committed.

It is just you, straight yellow traffic lines, and (on a windy day, which is every day on the panhandle) endless tumbleweeds, all around you, rolling hopping tangling and.....oh crap!....(violent swerve of the steering wheel)...constantly getting in the path of your vehicle.

NUCat320 likes this.
  23. gocatsgo2003

gocatsgo2003 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

While you're on the board (and this is at least somewhat topical)… any chance you caught W. Kamau Bell's episode of "United Shades of America" that focused heavily on Oklahoma farmers and the Tulsa area? If so, I would be very interested in your "boots on the ground" perspective.

24. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

I haven’t actually seen any of the episodes, though I am very interested now. Which episode featured Oklahoma farmers?

25. Hungry Jack

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Alex Shoumatov (sp?), a travel writer, wrote that in the panhandle, the transition to the Rockies manifests. It’s not mountains, but the dryness of the air that renders the colors of the sky and land so vivid, that make it so. He specifically mentions Guymon as a place to see, as if there is something to see.

The American West will always fascinate me.

26. gocatsgo2003

gocatsgo2003 Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Season 5, Episode 2 called “All American Family Farms.” Apparently it is available to view on YouTube for a fee but I would imagine you can find it for free on another streaming service:

27. cattul

cattul Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Guymon is a snapshot of transforming rural America, in crisis. A meatpacking plant grappling with the pandemic, Stittiots who refuse to believe they could be unsafe, and me-first people who would happily ‘live with’ the preventable deaths of 1 in 100 Americans.

Tiny little Guymon was ramping up cases like Tulsa and OKC, a while back.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-...vid-stirs-fear-faith-and-sorrow-idUSKBN22Z0SK

27 cattul, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:09 AM
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 11:36 AM
    Hungry Jack likes this.
  28. Gladeskat

Gladeskat Well-Known Member
    Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Same thing as Cozad to Sterling, of course. The humidity gradient is very noticeable, with a water-soaked T-shirt taking longer to dry moving eastward.

Guymon = Limon

28 Gladeskat, Aug 4, 2020 at 11:32 AM
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 11:41 AM
    Hungry Jack likes this.
  29. Hungry Jack

Gold Member
    Expand Collapse

Limon has a Flying J. I stole a coffee mug from it in 1986.

If all goes to plan, I will be riding a gravel race in Scottsbluff in late September. I may see the Rockies then!

29 Hungry Jack, Aug 4, 2020 at 1:08 PM
    Last edited: Aug 4, 2020 at 1:32 PM