ADVERTISEMENT

I believe McCall will be fired at 2-10/3-9 with a loss to Illinois

freewillie07

Gold Member
Aug 22, 2017
I know there’s no basis for it, but I just have a gut feeling that it’ll happen in such a scenario.

I’m almost at the point that I’d do a screen name wager.

I know many believe that PF will never get rid of McCall, but my belief (based on nothing!) is that McCall is coaching for his job right now. Unless the team scores some points and wins some games in a hurry - and UMass doesn't count -- Fitz will have no choice but to make a change after the season.

Given what we've seen in 2019 (I'll leave previous years out of it), I don't know how NU will be able to score enough points to save the OC.

I know many believe that PF will never get rid of McCall, but my belief (based on nothing!) is that McCall is coaching for his job right now. Unless the team scores some points and wins some games in a hurry - and UMass doesn't count -- Fitz will have no choice but to make a change after the season.

Given what we've seen in 2019 (I'll leave previous years out of it), I don't know how NU will be able to score enough points to save the OC.

“Any time you go out and don’t have a few weeks of good performance on either side of the ball, any of those types of feelings to have as a fan are absolutely fair,” Fitzgerald said. “I look at things holistically, and I always have and always will.”

Well holistically, McCall has underperformed for the last 6+ years. It shouldn't matter if the offense has one or two "better" games.

“Any time you go out and don’t have a few weeks of good performance on either side of the ball, any of those types of feelings to have as a fan are absolutely fair,” Fitzgerald said. “I look at things holistically, and I always have and always will.”

Well holistically, McCall has underperformed for the last 6+ years. It shouldn't matter if the offense has one or two "better" games.

I agree. Let me put it this way - when the team was winning nine games with a well-below-average offense, there was a good excuse to keep lackluster personnel around. If this team wins the next four games and scores a lot, it will be easy to justify that the early-season struggles are due to X factor or Y factor and that we've shown so much improvement throughout the year that we don't need to make any changes at this time.

On the other hand, if the team finishes 2-10 and scores like only 30 points total against Purdue, Minnesota, and Illinois, there is absolutely no way to spin it. And given what we've seen in the last month, 30 points against those defenses is pushing it anyway.

I heard rumblings in the off-season that McCall was under some pressure to innovate, given the loftier expectations with winning the West, the facilities, the higher level recruits, etc.

Obviously that has not happened. That’s why I think only winning 2 or 3 games, with the kicker of losing the HAT to Illinois, will be what forces Fitz’s hand.

Reactions: MotownMedilldo

If mccall resigns, no other D 1 school will want him. Not even our previous OL coach.

I agree. Let me put it this way - when the team was winning nine games with a well-below-average offense, there was a good excuse to keep lackluster personnel around. If this team wins the next four games and scores a lot, it will be easy to justify that the early-season struggles are due to X factor or Y factor and that we've shown so much improvement throughout the year that we don't need to make any changes at this time.

On the other hand, if the team finishes 2-10 and scores like only 30 points total against Purdue, Minnesota, and Illinois, there is absolutely no way to spin it. And given what we've seen in the last month, 30 points against those defenses is pushing it anyway.
Hunter is out, correct? I too watched the second half of the Indiana with the sound turned off, and our offense looked like a Cluster F.... Or, a Custer F..., either one. If we couldn't score more than 3 against Indiana's defense, I don't see how we will against Purdue, Minny or Ill. If Bowser comes back, maybe we get a touchdown or two in there. We might beat UMass by 14, and if we do and the other three play out as expected, Fitz has two choices--a serious reboot on offense or take UMass's place in the MAC.

I heard rumblings in the off-season that McCall was under some pressure to innovate, given the loftier expectations with winning the West, the facilities, the higher level recruits, etc.

Obviously that has not happened. That’s why I think only winning 2 or 3 games, with the kicker of losing the HAT to Illinois, will be what forces Fitz’s hand.

I don't necessarily blame McCall entirely for his plight. I think he was brought in and somewhat successfully ran offenses given the talent he was given and adapted well to personnel through the Colter/Mark era. But it was about the time that Fitz decided to slow the game down to help the defense that the wheels started to come off and the only success was the result of exceptional NFL level talent at QB (Thorsen) and RB (Jackson) that hid the myriad of problems at WR and OL.

Now, with struggling talent in a new QB in Johnson/Smith/Green and down to his number 4 RB after Larkin/Bowser/Brown plus losing Cam Green and 3 starters on the OL, and for kicks missing two starters at WR, his system that was below average with NFL talent has been exposed. I started this season hopeful for decent run game with Johnson developing over the season and looking at 6-6 to 8-4 if everything broke the Cats way. The injuries to this team and player attrition has been devastating especially since recruiting on the offensive side of the ball has trailed defensive recruiting until this year. Something has to be done.

I think Fitz has to take a look at McCall / Springer and Heffner. If he returns with the same staff, even with an increase in talent by returning players from injury, he risks the wheels coming off again next season.

The only positive for anyone addressing Fitz about a change from above is that the numbers clearly support moves in the offensive coaching staff that he will have a hard time defending other than claiming loyalty.

i wonder how many think that petition means anything?
Yeah I think petitions are useless and embarrassing to the fans. I have to say the tailgate that flies the Fire McCall flag and gleefully downs shots of Fire(Mc)all was interesting.

McCall is toast. Short of an offensive explosion in winning the last 4, he will be history. Fitz is loyal, but not stupid. The risks are too great not making a change.

I don't necessarily blame McCall entirely for his plight. I think he was brought in and somewhat successfully ran offenses given the talent he was given and adapted well to personnel through the Colter/Mark era. But it was about the time that Fitz decided to slow the game down to help the defense that the wheels started to come off and the only success was the result of exceptional NFL level talent at QB (Thorsen) and RB (Jackson) that hid the myriad of problems at WR and OL.

Now, with struggling talent in a new QB in Johnson/Smith/Green and down to his number 4 RB after Larkin/Bowser/Brown plus losing Cam Green and 3 starters on the OL, and for kicks missing two starters at WR, his system that was below average with NFL talent has been exposed. I started this season hopeful for decent run game with Johnson developing over the season and looking at 6-6 to 8-4 if everything broke the Cats way. The injuries to this team and player attrition has been devastating especially since recruiting on the offensive side of the ball has trailed defensive recruiting until this year. Something has to be done.

I think Fitz has to take a look at McCall / Springer and Heffner. If he returns with the same staff, even with an increase in talent by returning players from injury, he risks the wheels coming off again next season.

The only positive for anyone addressing Fitz about a change from above is that the numbers clearly support moves in the offensive coaching staff that he will have a hard time defending other than claiming loyalty.

Agree 100%. And calling the offense with Thorson and Jackson a “success” is only relative to this season. There were outcries for how bad it was even during the stretch of winning seasons. Scoring 7 points against Illinois State comes to mind. Yes there were times it was passable but we should strive for more.

If this is what McCall's innovation looks like, seems that ask was a mistake.

Reactions: IGNORE
I suspect that Fitz will blame this season on injuries and replacing a four year QB. He could've fired McCall at the end of the 2014 season if he wanted to get rid of him.

If we really get to 2-9 though - ouch. I know there's a good chance of that, but part of me is in denial about how bad things are on offense.

I will be shocked if Fitz fires McCall.
You are probably right, but if he doesn't, our next Rose Bowl will likely not be until well after those of us who loved the glory of the Parseghian years, even though we did not see a Rose Bowl until 1995, will be rolling in our graves if we don't get another before then. Lanny, are you listening?

Reactions: drewjin
I will add that it could be a “promotion” too — senior adviser of QBs or something.

McCall can’t and shouldn’t survive this.

Reactions: IGNORE
I suspect that Fitz will blame this season on injuries and replacing a four year QB. He could've fired McCall at the end of the 2014 season if he wanted to get rid of him.

If we really get to 2-9 though - ouch. I know there's a good chance of that, but part of me is in denial about how bad things are on offense.

He specifically said yesterday that it’s on the coaches for not having backups ready.

He specifically said yesterday that it’s on the coaches for not having backups ready.

Yeah, I was glad to hear this. He's also been making more comments about scheme. Of course, we're trying to read between the lines, since he's not going to give away any plan regarding McCall until after the season.

I'd still guess that McCall stays and Fitz tells him to get some better schemes (again, apparently) and to do a better job getting the QBs ready. I hope you're right though and Fitz decides to "promote" him or convince him to retire or whatever.

Let's have some fun with this. Why don't we start some sort of pool on what happens to McCall? I am willing to chip in $50 bucks to a pool that says McCall will be NU's offensive coordinator next season. Anybody else game?

Who cares? You're always satisfied with whatever Coach does. The guy can do no wrong in your eyes. Do you have a spouse? Does your spouse realize you're in love with Northwestern's head football coach? There's no room for anybody else but him in your heart.
That was harsh.

Who cares? You're always satisfied with whatever Coach does. The guy can do no wrong in your eyes. Do you have a spouse? Does your spouse realize you're in love with Northwestern's head football coach? There's no room for anybody else but him in your heart.

LOL, what a bunch of BS. I have been plenty critical of Fitz. He should have gotten rid of Cushing long ago. The inability to land a Plan A Qb in any of the last five recruiting classes is on Fitz. However, I am also sensible enough to know the good with Fitz far outweighs the bad. I know NU could not hire anyone better than Fitz to coach NU football. Somehow that’s lost on some of you guys. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban are not coming to NU anytime soon!

Have to score about 50 points per game to average 20

I only question the idea that Thorson was exceptional talent. Good, sure. And I believe McCall has done well enough with the task in front of him considering the limitations he was facing. While I cannot say he has been outstandin, In 2017, we were in the top half of the BIG in O including 4th in BIG scoring and over 29 PPG. And that is with an overall level of talent far below that of our competitors. Last year he managed around injuries to Thorson, loss of our staring RB and plenty more. That is really pretty good performance. This year we are facing a perfect storm because of the losses of personnel on both O and D and every little wart is exposed. I do not believe that anyone could do very well under these circumstances. Better, maybe, but well???

Here is a rundown of what he has accomplished here

https://nusports.com/coaches.aspx?rc=2581&path=football

That said, it may be time for a change for changes sake. McCall is approaching 65 and maybe that allows a graceful exit.

LOL, what a bunch of BS. I have been plenty critical of Fitz. He should have gotten rid of Cushing long ago. The inability to land a Plan A Qb in any of the last five recruiting classes is on Fitz. However, I am also sensible enough to know the good with Fitz far outweighs the bad. I know NU could not hire anyone better than Fitz to coach NU football. Somehow that’s lost on some of you guys. Urban Meyer and Nick Saban are not coming to NU anytime soon!
Come on. There are likely 20 or more coaches who would do a better coaching job then Fitz.

Come on. There are likely 20 or more coaches who would do a better coaching job then Fitz.

But would they do it at NU? The point was that *NU* can't get a better overall fit, not that Fitz is the best coach.

Sorry, just not true considering the restraints that NU has Number that could do it is really pretty small

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT