ADVERTISEMENT

I Don't Believe the UG Transfer Portal will be a Talent Mecca

Hungry Jack

Gold Member
Nov 17, 2008
the cotton fields and bus shelters
www.cbc.ca
I initially thought the UG transfer portal might even out the top-heavy concentration of talent in the P5s. Now, I generally think otherwise. Sure, some teams with decent-but-not elite talent might upgrade by getting guys from top programs. Carpenter should help Indiana. And Eku Leota will help some program closer to his home in North Carolina.

But I generally think talented players like this will be the exception, as COVID has prompted a lot of players to rethink their situation. When things return to normal, the transfer portal will be filled primarily with UGs buried on depth charts. It will actually help top programs churn their rosters faster and free up schollies for new talent. And it is still not clear if there will be a significant number of departures from top programs.

In short, I don't think the transfer portal will be a talent Mecca of UG. There will certainly be some talented grad transfers to be fought over. There is a reason why Fitz did not want anybody knowing that Raine would be coming to NU. He knew that he was a fairly rare transfer talent. And guys like Ramsey won't come around too often either.

Lovie was hitting the transfer market hard the last couple years. How did that work out again? Our great defense wasn't built with transfers. We got a couple of big ones at positions of need this year and I would assume that's the way Fitz will go again, but they have to be the right fit for the chemistry of a team is very important.

Lovie was hitting the transfer market hard the last couple years. How did that work out again? Our great defense wasn't built with transfers. We got a couple of big ones at positions of need this year and I would assume that's the way Fitz will go again, but they have to be the right fit for the chemistry of a team is very important.

It’s been viscous cycle at Illinois. Lovie came in and tried to build it the right way by playing young recruits his first two years. Unfortunately that led to a ton of losing and in years 3 and 4 as he was up against it he turned to transfers and Juco.

Nebraska has far more talent than the Illini and it has taken Frost 3 years to get above .500

Reactions: Titanium999
The problem with relying too heavily on transfers is that it is very difficult to build depth. Lovie brought in some very good players but he couldn't overcome the injury bug with replacements playing. Of course, now with free agency, building depth may be a problem for most programs. I think what will happen in the future is what is happening now - increasing numbers of transfers for all kind of reasons. Coaches will be tasked with finding methods to keep more players engaged such as greater rotational use of players at a younger age. Seeing that now.

Reactions: Titanium999
It will be interesting to see, but I can see the 6th, 7th or 8th best OL on OSU’s roster likely starting on any other B1G team’s OL. I can see a lot of top notch-MAC and non-power 5 players trading up. I’m sure the 3rd best RB on Alabama or Clemson’s rosters would start at the vast majority of other D-1 Programs.

Ultimately, it will be a zero sum game. It behooves every program to come up with the best transfer portal strategy for their team.

It will be interesting to see, but I can see the 6th, 7th or 8th best OL on OSU’s roster likely starting on any other B1G team’s OL. I can see a lot of top notch-MAC and non-power 5 players trading up. I’m sure the 3rd best RB on Alabama or Clemson’s rosters would start at the vast majority of other D-1 Programs.

Ultimately, it will be a zero sum game. It behooves every program to come up with the best transfer portal strategy for their team.
I don't disagree with that. I also think the 8th best OL on OSU, Bama, GA, etc. likely sits on the two-deep, meaning that he's very close to starting, and thus unlikely to transfer for PT reasons. There is likely going to be a limited pool of guys leaving a two-deep.

And the 5th OT on Bama might decide to leave and get a starting role at Ole Miss, Duke, or Baylor, but I don't see a lot of those guys around either. I think most transfers will be guys who are washing out on a P5 roster, and end up at a mid-major school (undergrads only).

Reactions: drewjin
With way more kids in the portal than there will be scholarship opportunities it's "All Mixed Up."

I don't disagree with that. I also think the 8th best OL on OSU, Bama, GA, etc. likely sits on the two-deep, meaning that he's very close to starting, and thus unlikely to transfer for PT reasons. There is likely going to be a limited pool of guys leaving a two-deep.

And the 5th OT on Bama might decide to leave and get a starting role at Ole Miss, Duke, or Baylor, but I don't see a lot of those guys around either. I think most transfers will be guys who are washing out on a P5 roster, and end up at a mid-major school (undergrads only).

How about Wilson from Harvard committing to Auburn (and now looking like LSU) and Foley from Holy Cross committing to Duke? NU will need to scour the Ivy, Patriot and MAC for academically solid prospects who have excelled at the FCS and non P5 level.

That win was “just want I needed” to start off 2021 the right way. I trust Fitz will work his “magic” with the portal. Since I am not on staff, “it’s allI can do”.
You might think the portal will shake it up at NU, but thinking like this is the dangerous type. I’m not the one to speak for Fitz, but he is not the type of recruiter who will tell a kid “you’re all I’ve got tonight” and bemoan “why can’t I have you” when he runs off to Notre Dame. He will tell his staff “let’s go” and find a better fit.

Sure, you have to shake it up, but I still feel like I’m going after my best friend’s girl.
I guess sometimes you just to say let’s go and let the good times roll.

I doubt we will get 11 recruits and transfers to fill the openings we have so hopefully the ones we do get will be impactful players

I doubt we will get 11 recruits and transfers to fill the openings we have so hopefully the ones we do get will be impactful players

Don’t you worry jensy. I think it’s pretty safe to assume we’ll have a full roster of players when we take the field against Michigan State on Sept. 4th.

I initially thought the UG transfer portal might even out the top-heavy concentration of talent in the P5s. Now, I generally think otherwise. Sure, some teams with decent-but-not elite talent might upgrade by getting guys from top programs. Carpenter should help Indiana. And Eku Leota will help some program closer to his home in North Carolina.

But I generally think talented players like this will be the exception, as COVID has prompted a lot of players to rethink their situation. When things return to normal, the transfer portal will be filled primarily with UGs buried on depth charts. It will actually help top programs churn their rosters faster and free up schollies for new talent. And it is still not clear if there will be a significant number of departures from top programs.

In short, I don't think the transfer portal will be a talent Mecca of UG. There will certainly be some talented grad transfers to be fought over. There is a reason why Fitz did not want anybody knowing that Raine would be coming to NU. He knew that he was a fairly rare transfer talent. And guys like Ramsey won't come around too often either.

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. Ramsey and Raines were huge gets. The DT this year and the WR from Kansas State are big gets for us this year, probable starters, and I think the RB from BGSU will be productive if he doesn't compete with Cam Porter for the starting role. I'm guessing we aren't done either. Not a grad transfer, but most of us think we have our QB of the future if not the starter this fall with Hiliniski (and if its not him this fall, it's likely to be another transfer in Hunter Johnson).

NU will benefit more from the portal than other schools moving forward given that grad transfers are probably more aligned to what we have to offer, and Chicago as a base to look for jobs along with our support system will be attractive as will an NU grad degree. Lot of Chicagoland kids who go elsewhere might be interested in coming home. Atop B1G team that bowls will be attractive to a lot of players, particularly the standouts from the FCS and mid-majors (e.g. ODU, FAU, BGSU etc...) and lower tier Power 5 (Kansas State, South Carolina).

Also, our transferees are likely to be less impactful and buried on the depth chart, so it also helps us to churn our roster faster. I don't think it helps the football factories as much, because they were kicking non-productive players to the curb anyways.

While the bulk of transfers are looking for more playing time, perhaps, it doesn't hurt if we get someone who is buried on the depth chart at a program like Clemson.

Reactions: Zootcat and drewjin
I see what you're saying, but I disagree. Ramsey and Raines were huge gets. The DT this year and the WR from Kansas State are big gets for us this year, probable starters, and I think the RB from BGSU will be productive if he doesn't compete with Cam Porter for the starting role. I'm guessing we aren't done either.

NU will benefit more from the portal than other schools moving forward given that grad transfers are probably more aligned to what we have to offer, and Chicago as a base to look for jobs along with our support system will be attractive as will an NU grad degree. Lot of Chicagoland kids who go elsewhere might be interested in coming home.

Also, our transferees are likely to be less impactful and buried on the depth chart, so it also helps us to churn our roster faster. I don't think it helps the football factories as much, because they were kicking non-productive players to the curb anyways.

While the bulk of transfers are looking for more playing time, perhaps, it doesn't hurt if we get someone who is buried on the depth chart at a program like Clemson.

Or one that for some reason fell out of favor at South Carolina. 🤦‍♂️

How about Wilson from Harvard committing to Auburn (and now looking like LSU) and Foley from Holy Cross committing to Duke? NU will need to scour the Ivy, Patriot and MAC for academically solid prospects who have excelled at the FCS and non P5 level.

I actually think rather than pining for back up talent at Bama and Clemson, we should be going after the guys who were overlooked in HS and playing and dominating at the FCS and Mid-Major levels. There is plenty of NFL talent coming out of these ranks - the opportunity to move up to the B1G, get a top 10 degree and play for championships with a top 10 football program (and enjoy the facilities on Lake Michigan, along with the access to Chicago professionally and socially) ought to be an easy sell.

Guys like Raines, and the ODU DT and BGSU RB come to mind. Even the KSU WR fits in the mold of productive players looking to upgrade.

I actually think rather than pining for back up talent at Bama and Clemson, we should be going after the guys who were overlooked in HS and playing and dominating at the FCS and Mid-Major levels. There is plenty of NFL talent coming out of these ranks - the opportunity to move up to the B1G, get a top 10 degree and play for championships with a top 10 football program (and enjoy the facilities on Lake Michigan, along with the access to Chicago professionally and socially) ought to be an easy sell.

Guys like Raines, and the ODU DT and BGSU RB come to mind. Even the KSU WR fits in the mold of productive players looking to upgrade.

Absolutely. I’d love to see us grab a player or two after this FCS season is completed.

Reactions: EvanstonCat
Or one that for some reason fell out of favor at South Carolina. 🤦‍♂️
Yeah, I wasn't sure if he counted, since he was not a grad transfer (not sure if that makes a difference to Hungry's argument or not, but in most seasons he doesn't get a free transfer), but I edited my post in parallel to you pointing that one out.

I see what you're saying, but I disagree. Ramsey and Raines were huge gets. The DT this year and the WR from Kansas State are big gets for us this year, probable starters, and I think the RB from BGSU will be productive if he doesn't compete with Cam Porter for the starting role. I'm guessing we aren't done either. Not a grad transfer, but most of us think we have our QB of the future if not the starter this fall with Hiliniski (and if its not him this fall, it's likely to be another transfer in Hunter Johnson).

NU will benefit more from the portal than other schools moving forward given that grad transfers are probably more aligned to what we have to offer, and Chicago as a base to look for jobs along with our support system will be attractive as will an NU grad degree. Lot of Chicagoland kids who go elsewhere might be interested in coming home. Atop B1G team that bowls will be attractive to a lot of players, particularly the standouts from the FCS and mid-majors (e.g. ODU, FAU, BGSU etc...) and lower tier Power 5 (Kansas State, South Carolina).

All grad transfers. I certainly don’t mind getting proven players for a year to fill needs, but my OP was about undergrads leaving because they aren’t cracking the depth chart. It seems that youth is being served more and more in P5 football, and programs are figuring out early who can play.

All grad transfers. I certainly don’t mind getting proven players for a year to fill needs, but my OP was about undergrads leaving because they aren’t cracking the depth chart. It seems that youth is being served more and more in P5 football, and programs are figuring out early who can play.

Clair played quite a bit and has two years of eligibility remaining.

Clair played quite a bit and has two years of eligibility remaining.
He is a grad transfer, right? And he only has two years as he opted out of 2020.

Generally speaking, the only "proven" players will be found in grad transfer market--guys who have started or played quite a bit.

I think we hit the jackpot with Hilinski, but he is the exception. In fact, I think the biggest exceptions will be UG QBs who, for whatever reasons, feel they deserve a starting job somewhere (and there will always be plenty of opportunities to start somewhere given how difficult it is to play the position).

It’s been viscous cycle at Illinois. Lovie came in and tried to build it the right way by playing young recruits his first two years. Unfortunately that led to a ton of losing and in years 3 and 4 as he was up against it he turned to transfers and Juco.

Nebraska has far more talent than the Illini and it has taken Frost 3 years to get above .500

Lovie alienated his upperclassmen by playing youngsters before their time, causing the upperclassmen to quit or transfer out, and leaving the team with little senior leadership. Consequently, they got their ass kicked for several years until Lovie scored some decent players through the transfer portal to cover for the horrible, half-assed recruiting he was doing at Illinois.

Lovie was not a good fit for college football.

Lovie alienated his upperclassmen by playing youngsters before their time, causing the upperclassmen to quit or transfer out, and leaving the team with little senior leadership. Consequently, they got their ass kicked for several years until Lovie scored some decent players through the transfer portal to cover for the horrible, half-assed recruiting he was doing at Illinois.

Lovie was not a good fit for college football.

Reactions: NU Houston
I initially thought the UG transfer portal might even out the top-heavy concentration of talent in the P5s. Now, I generally think otherwise.
To me, the portal was only ever about freedom of movement for players, and it’s succeeded in that regard. It has, in essence, turned all of D-1 into JUCO — and as we’ve seen for years, you can’t be a consistent winner if you’re always building your roster via JUCO.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT