ADVERTISEMENT

I know Marty was our best QB this year

EvanstonCat

Gold Member
May 29, 2001
Or perhaps, Green while he was healthy.

But, now that McCall is gone, I'm guessing and hoping that our starting QB next year will be Hunter Johnson. I hope that we bring in an OC that knows what to do with the Ferrari. Hunter Johnson played well in Clemson's offense. He shined in a field with the likes of Tua T, Sean Clifford, Sam Ehrlinger, and Jacob Fromm. I can't believe he just became completely useless from that basis. Given the right coaching and scheme - paritcualrly one that simplifies things as much as possible for the QB, I think we will see what we have in Hunter Johnson.

I appreciate that TJ had the best command of the offense, and that Marty played the best this year down the stretch. But, I don't think we're going where we want to go on TJ's arm and relying on Andrew Marty running up the gut on non Illini B1G run D's. I'm ready for an explosive offense that can utilize Hunter's gifts and that will put him in the best position to be the player that he has shown before.

I find it unlikely that the QB that his peers in the Show named as the QB they'd pick aside from themselves, the Army All-America MVP and the guy who in his limited time on the field at Clemson made the Tiger faithful gush about him was a complete bust, and that the more likely explanation is that we had a coach, who former players raked for ruining other careers, and a effed up scheme that was not set up to make him successful. I think with a new OC, hope springs eternal for Hunter Johnson and the NU offense.

Maybe this played into Fitz's decision. It shouldn't take a QB three years to fully grasp an offense, as some have previously argued about McCall's system. Also applies to the highly touted freshman WRs: Hooper-Price, Kirtz, and Dennis. We should have seen them get some serious reps in four games.

Given that he clearly has the most gifted arm, HJ would be an obvious guy you want throwing the ball. But before you throw the ball, you want a guy who knows where to put it. That is the issue with HJ. He quite clearly was not ready for the "speed" of the game in our offensive scheme.

Whether our system was too demanding for many QBs is anyone's guess. I don't take Marty's small sample (20 passes thrown) as evidence that McCall's system wasn't too complex for most kids. The prevailing sentiment expressed by guys who STRAPPED IT ON (excluding Glades--he used duct tape) was that the system was really tough to learn.

In any case, all of our QBs will have to learn a new scheme. In a sense, they are all starting from zero. I have the sense that TJ won't have much problem learning a scheme. He has a father who probably knows a thing or two about offensive schemes (albeit from a different era).

And I think Marty demonstrated a pretty good sense of how to run the read option. I have not seen that from Hunter.

So we will see what shakes out this spring and summer. Going to be an interesting time. We may need to send Midvale in as a mole to get some practice intel.

But, now that McCall is gone, I'm guessing and hoping that our starting QB next year will be Hunter Johnson. I hope that we bring in an OC that knows what to do with the Ferrari. Hunter Johnson played well in Clemson's offense. He shined in a field with the likes of Tua T, Sean Clifford, Sam Ehrlinger, and Jacob Fromm. I can't believe he just became completely useless from that basis. Given the right coaching and scheme - paritcualrly one that simplifies things as much as possible for the QB, I think we will see what we have in Hunter Johnson.

I appreciate that TJ had the best command of the offense, and that Marty played the best this year down the stretch. But, I don't think we're going where we want to go on TJ's arm and relying on Andrew Marty running up the gut on non Illini B1G run D's. I'm ready for an explosive offense that can utilize Hunter's gifts and that will put him in the best position to be the player that he has shown before.

I find it unlikely that the QB that his peers in the Show named as the QB they'd pick aside from themselves, the Army All-America MVP and the guy who in his limited time on the field at Clemson made the Tiger faithful gush about him was a complete bust, and that the more likely explanation is that we had a coach, who former players raked for ruining other careers, and a effed up scheme that was not set up to make him successful. I think with a new OC, hope springs eternal for Hunter Johnson and the NU offense.
I like Mick - I have shared beers with him, met his wife, laughed with him about any number of current events, and shared thoughts about theater and literature with him. I think his body of work over the past 12(?) years has been very good. Yet, I trust Fitz and support his decision. Opposing defenses adjusted to Mick and he did not respond in kind. Much like a batter has to keep adapting as pitchers learn his weaknesses, so too an OC. Admittedly, that is tough when your top three QBS, top three RBs, and top receiver all go down. I believe the final straw was the trouble with Aidan Atkinson. Regardless, we need some fresh blood.

I also like Marty. He is an obvious leader who gets rid of the ball quickly, has a ton of confidence, and seems very accurate. He worked well in Mick's system, once he rededicated himself to it halfway through the season. I think he felt like he had little chance to play behind the trumpeted transfer, the 5th-year senior, and a guy a year ahead of him with similar talent. He admitted to not really working hard last spring, summer, and into the fall. I can understand the attitude of a 19-year-old in that position. But, once an opportunity presented itself, he really embraced it. I will be watching the spring practices and summer workouts closely this year. Like you, I think Hunter Johnson will have new life in a new system - McCall's demanded skills he just did not have. An improving OL, allowing a traditional drop-back QB more time to throw, will also help Hunter. But, Marty is now the man to beat. Given his ascendency, Green may choose not to come back for a 6th year - apparently granted because of his injury. Both Marty and Johnson have multiple years left; Green does not.

If Hunter truly has the elite talent the rankings believes he does, you will find an OC that plays to his talents. This is going to be huge for him, and a bit of downer for TJ Green, as it levels out his advantage (playbook) over Hunter.

Yes, this is a chance for a full reset for Hunter. I hope he wins the starting job in a competitive QB battle. Clearly a great kid with a ton of talent.

That said, I don’t think that it’s going to be quite as simple as “which OC is best for Hunter.” It just seems like this year has taken a lot out of him, physically, mentally and emotionally, and I do wonder if he’s reassessing the “NFL or bust” mentality that he might have had coming out of high school. He would almost certainly need to play here another two years, which, maybe he wants for himself, maybe he wants to get on with his life. He will have at least one, and probably two, NU degrees.

Even if Johnson or Green is the starter next year, I would expect Marty to show up in a red zone package. One of the biggest differences between the other QBs and him this year was his ability to finish drives with TDs. His size and inside running ability negate the need for a wildcat back, and he seems to be able to be accurate on the throws required in the red zone.

Given that he clearly has the most gifted arm, HJ would be an obvious guy you want throwing the ball. But before you throw the ball, you want a guy who knows where to put it. That is the issue with HJ. He quite clearly was not ready for the "speed" of the game in our offensive scheme.
It also seemed like our OL did their worst "blocking" when Hunter was in the game. Against Minny, the defenders arrived in Hunter's face at the same time the ball arrived. Then, once Hunter was knocked out of the game, they seemed to block better for Marty. I'm sure Marty's decisiveness helped, sure, but some of those snaps to Hunter would have been no better for Marty if he'd been in there instead.

Does anybody have any theories about why the OL was so bad whenever Hunter was in?

Reactions: RockfishCat
It also seemed like our OL did their worst "blocking" when Hunter was in the game. Against Minny, the defenders arrived in Hunter's face at the same time the ball arrived. Then, once Hunter was knocked out of the game, they seemed to block better for Marty. I'm sure Marty's decisiveness helped, sure, but some of those snaps to Hunter would have been no better for Marty if he'd been in there instead.

Does anybody have any theories about why the OL was so bad whenever Hunter was in?
As has been noted on several occasions, the QB has been expected to read the defense and call assignments for the OL accordingly, something Hunter seemed to struggle with. Marty and Green handled this responsibility quite well, Smith less so. A new OC may very well alter QB responsibilities, even if he keeps the read option offense. I add, confidence is contagious and Marty has it.

Hunter held the ball way too long (took too much time in his progressions, was hesitant, etc). OL was the same.

Hunter held the ball way too long (took too much time in his progressions, was hesitant, etc). OL was the same.
No, it's not that simple. Against Minny, he literally had no time at all to go through progressions. The ball was snapped and he was immediately sacked.

Aging Booster at least gives a plausible explanation, that in our offense the QB has to read the defense and call out assignments to the OL. I'm not enough of an offensive genius to know if this is a reasonable burden for a college QB, and even if so, I'm not convinced that this entirely absolves the OL of their responsibilities, but that certainly provides a reasonable explanation for what I saw.

Reactions: drewjin
No, it's not that simple. Against Minny, he literally had no time at all to go through progressions. The ball was snapped and he was immediately sacked.

Aging Booster at least gives a plausible explanation, that in our offense the QB has to read the defense and call out assignments to the OL. I'm not enough of an offensive genius to know if this is a reasonable burden for a college QB, and even if so, I'm not convinced that this entirely absolves the OL of their responsibilities, but that certainly provides a reasonable explanation for what I saw.

The protection calls came mostly from the sidelines. The QB/center had to set direction of the protection, not the entire call.

I find it unlikely that the QB that his peers in the Show named as the QB they'd pick aside from themselves, the Army All-America MVP and the guy who in his limited time on the field at Clemson made the Tiger faithful gush about him was a complete bust, and that the more likely explanation is that we had a coach, who former players raked for ruining other careers, and a effed up scheme that was not set up to make him successful. I think with a new OC, hope springs eternal for Hunter Johnson and the NU offense.[/

My money is on Marty as he’s the only one to show he can lead a team on the field, IMO. Green would have been high on my list but with a change in OC his experience edge may be less important. Hunter would come after that if I’m betting. I’ll be glad for who Weber wins.

Marty has Taysom Hill written all over him. Fitz/whoever his staff is should call Sean Payton up this spring for some film study and shadowing. Plenty of ways to use a great athlete who can throw and run a bit, even if he's not necessarily a QB1 on his own.

Normally there is a grace period after the patient dies (NU's season) before wheeling in the next patient for surgery. Not here. Another off season of HJ wishing.

From what Hunter displayed in the games it appears he just doesn't seem to have that Natural Instinct to read the field and make the appropriate decision in a few seconds time. That may not be something you can teach.

Perhaps. But his TD pass to Jefferson against UNLV was a throw I've rarely seen a NU QB make: hitting the WR in full stride for an easy six. Let's not write him off yet.

From what Hunter displayed in the games it appears he just doesn't seem to have that Natural Instinct to read the field and make the appropriate decision in a few seconds time. That may not be something you can teach.

There are so many experts here about natural QB instincts!

Reactions: hdhntr1

Johnson deserves a mulligan for this year. So much going on and it clearly was overwhelming. Press the reset button and start fresh this off-season. The book on his football career has not been written yet.

That is what we've seen so far, but I still think a new OC can do some things to work with him. One, more reps, especially without off-field stuff distracting him. Two, offensive play design/play calling to get the ball out faster.

And three, play design/play calling to get the ball down the field so that completed passes go for more yards. I think Hunter has the potential to get a lot of yards even with a 55-60% completion rate if he's throwing downfield and not 3 yard out route/dink and dunk type stuff.

Im hoping for an offense that’s more dependent on out executing opponents rather than outsmarting them. It may seem counterintuitive given the presumed intelligence our players have, but I think it can be better utilized learning to do simpler better than opponents.

Simplify the playbook, simplify reads, allow the best players to play.

We looked pretty solid the last few weeks. I think Marty is fine. Hunter holds onto the ball too long. Likely,we need all three guys. Aiden needs the most work. I think we would have won 8 games if Marty started the season. The guy is a bruiser,and a decent decision maker too

We looked pretty solid the last few weeks. I think Marty is fine. Hunter holds onto the ball too long. Likely,we need all three guys. Aiden needs the most work. I think we would have won 8 games if Marty started the season. The guy is a bruiser,and a decent decision maker too
He also can't throw the ball. If he's the starting QB next season, NU will be lucky to win 6 games , even with the weak schedule.

Reactions: julescat
Someone please explain why they think Marty cannot throw the ball. He had limited opportunities and completed a fair percentage of them. Some inexperience interceptions. I don't recall any weak passes or difficulty with any of the throws. He is a big, athletic guy and certainly looks capable enough. So why the label?

I wondered about this too. Early season it seemed they blocked poorly for everyone but I agree the later season blocking seemed worse for Hunter. I have zero technical knowledge of football but since everyone says McCall’s offense is so complicated, perhaps Hunter was responsible for calling the protection at the line on every pass play, and he was calling them incorrectly. However it’s hard to believe how many unblocked blitzers there were just teeing off on Hunter.

Reactions: FeralFelidae
Someone please explain why they think Marty cannot throw the ball. He had limited opportunities and completed a fair percentage of them. Some inexperience interceptions. I don't recall any weak passes or difficulty with any of the throws. He is a big, athletic guy and certainly looks capable enough. So why the label?
How may passes did he even attempt against a pretty overrated Illini team. However he is probably a better RB then some we used this season. Could see then using him in the Wildcat formation.

How may passes did he even attempt against a pretty overrated Illini team. However he is probably a better RB then some we used this season. Could see then using him in the Wildcat formation.
He did throw a pretty nice play action pass for a TD. 34 yards right in the breadbasket. That throw looked as nice as anything Aidan threw all year. I have confidence, at least, that if we are a run-heavy team next season, Marty would be effective throwing the play action pass. If Marty truly is our best QB next season, that at least gives us something to work with.

Reactions: DaCat and drewjin
He did throw a pretty nice play action pass for a TD. 34 yards right in the breadbasket. That throw looked as nice as anything Aidan threw all year. I have confidence, at least, that if we are a run-heavy team next season, Marty would be effective throwing the play action pass. If Marty truly is our best QB next season, that at least gives us something to work with.
Yes, a running QB who's not allowed to throw. Wonder why that is?

Willycat, the fact that he had a limited number of throws does not mean he cannot throw the ball. Might mean we don't know because the sample size is limited. Do you have other, better, information?

Reactions: DaCat
I wondered about this too. Early season it seemed they blocked poorly for everyone but I agree the later season blocking seemed worse for Hunter. I have zero technical knowledge of football but since everyone says McCall’s offense is so complicated, perhaps Hunter was responsible for calling the protection at the line on every pass play, and he was calling them incorrectly. However it’s hard to believe how many unblocked blitzers there were just teeing off on Hunter.

I think teams realized they could go after him and wanted to make him prove he could beat it. He didn't, and it kept coming.

I’ve got some news for you...your Ferrari needs a major overhaul. We would have been fine if our Honda Accord hadn’t broken down around the first turn. The VW Beetle just didn’t have the juice to get the job done and the whole team paid the price. Our F-150 finally made its way out of the garage, but it was too little, too late. Wish we would have found him sooner. Looking forward to a master technician coming in to work some magic in the Evanston garage.

I’ve got some news for you...your Ferrari needs a major overhaul. We would have been fine if our Honda Accord hadn’t broken down around the first turn. The VW Beetle just didn’t have the juice to get the job done and the whole team paid the price. Our F-150 finally made its way out of the garage, but it was too little, too late. Wish we would have found him sooner. Looking forward to a master technician coming in to work some magic in the Evanston garage.
The St. Louis Cardinals had a centerfielder for a few years named Randal Grichuk. He was the guy drafted before Mike Trout. He was a phenomenal athlete, and certainly looked the part. The GM who traded for him, John Mozeliak, referred to him as a "Ferrari."

3 slightly above average seasons later, they traded him to the Blue Jays...

He threw a beautiful long ball for a TD with plenty of juice. The obsession with Hunter on this board is surprising given what we’ve seen on the field. I hope he becomes the next Brady, but lots of 4 and 5 star guys don’t pan out as well. We seem obsessed with the idea that he would get us to the promised land (ie bear OSU, make a playoff) but I have really seen nothing to suggest he’s that guy. Hope il wrong.

Reactions: RockfishCat
He threw a beautiful long ball for a TD with plenty of juice. The obsession with Hunter on this board is surprising given what we’ve seen on the field. I hope he becomes the next Brady, but lots of 4 and 5 star guys don’t pan out as well. We seem obsessed with the idea that he would get us to the promised land (ie bear OSU, make a playoff) but I have really seen nothing to suggest he’s that guy. Hope il wrong.

Is it really that surprising to have obsession over the number 1 rated QB in the nation coming out of HS?

Sports Illustrated article on Joe Burrow this week talks of how he is another coach on the field, changing protections and sometimes receiver routes according to the defense he is seeing. It says his "football instincts" are off the charts. From what I saw this year, Hunter needs to acquire these skills to go with his arm and athleticism.

Sports Illustrated article on Joe Burrow this week talks of how he is another coach on the field, changing protections and sometimes receiver routes according to the defense he is seeing. It says his "football instincts" are off the charts. From what I saw this year, Hunter needs to acquire these skills to go with his arm and athleticism.
Okay, but did we throw Hunter into the deep end, or is there a way to "ease" him into that role and build up that experience gradually?

Okay, but did we throw Hunter into the deep end, or is there a way to "ease" him into that role and build up that experience gradually?
The problem has been resolved — or at least partially resolved. I hope HJ takes advantage of his new opportunity starting today. The best possible news would be for him to be named to the Leadership Council. He has a great opportunity to establish himself as The Guy over the next four months. I hope he’s up to it.

The truth about TJ Green is he wasn't very good.

He may have been the most ready, but he never threw a td in his NU career. His longest completion was 23 yards and that was in his 6 for 10 game against Stanford. Of Course, he also missed a guy wide open to the left of him that would have been a TD, held the ball too long, fumbled and got hurt.

You would swear the way some people talk about him he was the next Tom Brady.

Myself, I want the QB in ho will do the best job of managing the O, makes it work and who the rest of the team has the most confidence in. If that is HJ, fine. If it is TJ or Marty or someone else, so be it. HJ does deserve a mulligan but he has to get himself ready to compete

Last edited:
Reactions: drewjin
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT